INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC crashing on import (auto or manual) after moving music files to NAS  (Read 1628 times)

shapiro123

• Recent member

I have been a happy MC user since version 17. Recent issues have made me very unhappy.

For various reasons, I recently moved my music files from three USB drives to a Synology NAS. The library is large (8+ T), but no larger than it was prior to moving the NAS.

MC crashes repeatedly on import from the NAS. This happens on two different PCs. I've checked the logs, and there is no rhyme or reason for the crashes. I also noticed that, while importing, the number of files and other metrics at the bottom of the MC display sometimes go DOWN as new files are being added per the action window. This is confusing to me. I've tried clearing the libraries and starting from scratch, but that hasn't worked either.

BTW, I am also running Asset on one of the PCs, and it has no trouble importing files from the NAS.

Thas has been going on for several days, and I'm at the end of my tether. If I can't get this resolved, it's going to be bye-bye to MC, hello Audirvana. Media library software that can't import media is clearly of little use.

A recent log is attached.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Seth

swiv3d

When you import files to the jriver library NO files are actually moved it is only reading tag details from the files to build it's database. The fact it cannot do that points to a firewall or antivirus program permissions problem.

shapiro123

• Recent member

Thanks. The firewall and AV have not changed since MC was able to successfully import from the USB drives. All files and folders are the same. One PC is a Nimitra, which runs the bare minimum software to enable audio. The other uses Win FW and AV, so two very different security profiles. I don't think that's the issue.

Seth

swiv3d

The usb drives are not accessed over a network, the NAS drive is accessed over the network and that is where firewall and antivirus software can interfere.

shapiro123

• Recent member

Here are couple log of files from the Nimitra.

I'll take a look at the FW and AV settings.

Seth

swiv3d

Can I ask what is Drive M: on your system setup?

shapiro123

• Recent member

That’s the mapped drive on the NAS.

Seth

swiv3d

Could you set up a new library called something like NAS Library pointing to a new empty folder called NAS Library. Then, in autoimport configuration browse to the folders you want to import from the windows network reference to your NAS and not the network drive reference M:, try just one first, then see if autoimport works.

swiv3d

I only suggest this because I had a situation with a NAS drive which caused hanging of MC when referenced through the networked drive value - the twonky server or whatever on the NAS took umbrage at MC searching the drive. When I set it up as suggested it worked flawlessly.

shapiro123

• Recent member

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Did you try updating the firmware on the NAS?

shapiro123

• Recent member
Re: MC crashing on import (auto or manual) after moving music files to NAS
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 11:07:51 am »

Update. A few days ago I decided to try switching to MC 32 bit (it was either that or pull my hair out!), and all the issues I was having magically went away. This information may help other users with large libraries who are having problems with MC 64 bit.

Cheers.

Seth

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 11:14:45 am »

Did you try updating the firmware on the NAS?

You may also be seeing an antivirus problem.

It's definitely not a problem with 64 bit and large libraries.

shapiro123

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 07:38:29 pm »

The firmware on the NAS is the most current. There is no antivirus running on the device where MC is running.

If it helps any, one of the other issues resolved by moving from 64 to 32 bit MC is a crash when hitting the Details button after import. Doing so crashed 64 bit MC every time. On 32 bit MC, it works every time.

I'm not questioning your expert opinion, just trying to shed more light on this to help the community.

Seth

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 12:47:05 am »

If you're running Windows 10, it could be Windows Defender.
Pages: [1]   Go Up