INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Showing MC9 to my ex-boss!  (Read 1282 times)

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Showing MC9 to my ex-boss!
« on: June 05, 2003, 07:30:21 am »

Today I gave an extensive demo of MC9 to my ex-boss who is a WMP user and 5MPixel photographer. He brought some of his music files and high-resolution images with him on a USB stick, so that he could judge his own stuff on MC9.

My demo was quite intense as I showed him almost all of the key features of MC9. He was really impressed by the product and said he will be going to download a trial version and have a close look at it.

The things that mostly impressed him:
1) How MC9 found cover art on the internet for his music files. They did not have cover art!

2) Multi-Zoning features

3) The Netremote concept! As I don't have a pocket pc I just showed him Netremote on the video display, but he quickly grasped the concept! He has a wireless network at home!

4) The integration of music, images and video with a powerful database

5) Smartlists

6) The "Rename files from Properties" tool.

7) The support for viewing on multiple screens, although he thought that in this field much could be improved. He wanted more degrees of freedom between different screens - kind of: my daughter is playing with hairstyle on the TV monitor, while he was tagging his newest images on the PC monitor!

8 ) Hairstyle

9) Downloading images from camera directly into MC9

10) 3D-Visualization. We were talking about things as having 4 different beamers for every wall displaying different stuff on every single wall. (On this occasion we discovered that image display is not bound to individual zones. You cannot say play Bach on zone1 and display Bach cover art on a screen tied to zone 1 and play ABBA on zone 2 and display ABBA cover art on a screen tied to zone 2)

The only key features he was missing after two hours of demo were

1) Zooming of images, obviously a must with high-resolution images

2) Kind of what Zevele calls super-tags.

3) Ability to save a music/image playlists with a MC9 viewer on a DVD to be run on a standard DVD player.

That was a nice afternoon with my ex-boss (he is 7 years younger than myself) as he could really appreciate the product and  for somebody who saw MC9 for the first time give valuable feedback.

JohnT

Re: Showing MC9 to my ex-boss!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2003, 07:35:11 am »

Thanks for reporting on this, it gives us valuable insight into how the product is perceived by first time users (something we badly lack).

About missing feature #3:
3) Ability to save a music/image playlists with a MC9 viewer on a DVD to be run on a standard DVD player.

Can you give more detail on how you'd like to see this work? I'm working on DVD support right now.

Thanks!
John T.

John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2003, 07:53:04 am »

1) Zooming of images, obviously a must with high-resolution images

Mouse-wheel to zoom.  Click and drag to scroll around.

Thanks Jaguu!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2003, 08:22:27 am »

Hi Matt,

thanks, soo easy that I could not think of. Really nice this image zooming with the mouse-wheel! You never stop learning!

JohnT,

sorry, we did not realize right away that a DVD player and a PC are totally different pair of shoes!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2003, 08:30:52 am »

BTW, the keyboard buttons plus, minus, left, right, up and down also do the same things as the mouse wheel and click-n-drag.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

LisaRCT

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2003, 08:46:33 am »

I recently purchased a 5mp Nikon (there goes the iPod  for another year . . . or three)

I made a fast test of bringing images form the camera to MC9, worked perfect, No hassles, no crashes, no setup issues.

Soon as I figure out how to use this computer...err I mean camera, I will give MC9 a rigorous test, but on first try (although a shallow look-see) everything seems great.

I think it may take longer to learn all the features of this camera than it took to get my college degree  ;D

BTW, you guys are greatand so is the MC9!  I love the way it just keeps getting better and the responsiveness has been awesome too.
I have to watch when I tell someone about MC9 that I do not get too carried away.  I tend to sound like a sales-person, sometimes ya'd think I wrote the thing the way I talk about it.  
LOL

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2003, 08:47:52 am »

Matt,

as I am more mouse-oriented and less keyboard-oriented, my priorities when searching for a command are:

1) Right-click menu
2) In this case Menu>Players>Controls

As I did not find them under Controls/More Controls I assumed it was a missing feature as normally keyboard controls should also appear on some menu/right-click menu. And during a demo one does not necessarily consult Help!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2003, 09:18:39 am »

Jaguu,
When you zoom in, try the P key (starts and stops pan) and the two square bracket keys, [ and ] (speed up and slow down the pan).  Thanks for all the details on your demo.

Lisa,
Thanks!  The response we get from people here is an important part of why the program is evolving quickly.

escaflo

• Galactic Citizen
  • And the answer is.... 42!
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2003, 12:12:15 pm »

BTW, you guys are greatand so is the MC9!  I love the way it just keeps getting better and the responsiveness has been awesome too.
I have to watch when I tell someone about MC9 that I do not get too carried away.  I tend to sound like a sales-person, sometimes ya'd think I wrote the thing the way I talk about it.  
LOL

Agree with Lisa. I already introduce MC9 to 2 of my housemates and they are quite happy with the demo version of it. One of my housemate is trying to build a HTPC which was one of the reason why he like MC that much. Though he has trouble using MC in hairstyle with his remote but I guess that's just because he is still trying to learn how to configure Girder.

I think I sounded so much like a salesman when I introduce MC to them
Don't Panic!
Pages: [1]   Go Up