INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Listing media that's not on harddisk?  (Read 1031 times)

Trumpetguy

• Citizen of the Universe
Listing media that's not on harddisk?
« on: August 28, 2018, 07:23:19 am »

My media library consists of music, photos and ripped blu-rays. In the past, I only stored the ripped blurays until they were watched and then deleted the rip. Now I usually keep the rips on disk, as disk capacity has improved.

Now I see the need to add the old movies into the media library again (I still have the physical discs). But I would like to not re-rip them, only include them as library items with all metadata and cover art included, and a tag that tells me that the movie needs to be loaded as optical disk.

Is there a way to add movies this way, and make use of internet metadata lookup?

ErikN

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Listing media that's not on harddisk?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 09:02:04 pm »

I had a similar situation when I wanted to create a number of episode placeholders. My purpose was to document videos I was missing and wanted to buy or record. It looked nicer in Theater mode to have everything filled in.

My very hacky solution was to create a short 10 second black/silent video. I copied the dummy video to something like "series-S01-E05-title.ts" and pulled in the metadata as if it was the real asset.  If you were so motivated, you could create the short video from a gif/jpg/etc. that actually displayed "Please insert the optical disk" instead of my black/silent placeholder.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 01:09:34 am »

The two major ways I have read people are doing this are;

1. Use a placeholder file, which for a DVD could be a "Video_TS" file, and for a Blu-ray an "index.bluray" file, then run the "Get Movie and TV Info" function, searching for the correct movie, and add the correct metadata to this dummy file.
For example, copy any VIDEO_TS file to a movie specific directory, such as "\Stoker (2013)\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.dvd;1", and then add metadata to it for the correct movie. For Blu-ray, an example would be "\Alien_ Covenant (2017)\BDMV\index.bluray;1".

But then if you tried to play it, MC would fail. I can't remember how people managed that, but a search of the forum could find the threads discussing the idea. Or just try it.

ErikN's idea would work similarly, but if using a JPG as a dummy file you would need to set the [Media Type] tag to "Video" and the [Media Sub Type] tag to "Movie" so that it displayed in the correct Views. This is a bit tricky unless you have a View that shows all file types so that you can easily locate the files, and have a custom tagging window definition (template) that displays both the [Media Type] and the [Media Sub Type] tags in the one template. I tested and had to go the the Images File View to change the [Media Type] tag to "Video", and then to Video File View to change the [Media Sub Type] tag to "Movie". Not too onerous, but a bit of work if you are doing many at once.
When you tried to play the movie, MC would use the file association with the JPG extension to correctly play the image, which in MC means displays it, so you would get the message.

2. Just import the movie from the optical disc, and make sure that you have the Auto Import Option "fix Broken Links" set to "Yes (protect file on missing drives)", so that MC doesn't delete the Library record when you remove the disk.

No need to change the [Media Type] and [Media Sub Type] tags, as they will already be correct.
The "Get Movie and TV Info" function still works, with the Cover Art saved into the \Cover Art\Videos\ directory instead of next to the video file. (Because it can't save to the optical disc of course.)
Metadata still works, but I don't know where the metadata is stored, or whether it comes from the disc. You can edit some metadata, such as [Name], but doing so doesn't seem to update the Cover Art file name, which it should. Also, if metadata is stored in a Sidecar file somewhere, it may be named "index.bluray_Sidecar.xml" and stored in a common location, which would mean it would get overwritten when you next imported an optical disc. Something to check and get around if it is a problem. The metadata for a disc imported this way it stored in the CD Database in MC, so there is no issue with a Sidecar file being overwritten.
When you try to play you get a message from MC saying it can't find the volume to play it, and asking whether you want to try and play again or cancel. If this is an issue, you could edit the Cover Art image to add a note such as "Optical Disc Required" or similar, such as ErikN suggested above. Just make sure you don't update the Cover Art in future or you will overwrite your modified image. Or write protect the image.

I prefer the second option, but I haven't actually implemented it yet, as I am ripping most discs at the moment, and haven't bothered to go back through my collection to add the older discs.

Anyway, you should be able to find long threads about how to do this on the forum. It has been discussed at length.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Trumpetguy

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 04:09:45 am »

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try out different options, I think. I was thinking in the direction of using small dummy video files myself, but I will look into the other options as well.
I had no clue on how to search for this on the forum, which made me write my own question....

Spike1000

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 07:08:22 am »

I had no clue on how to search for this on the forum, which made me write my own question....

There's a search box top right of the pages. Or there's google. . .

Spike

Trumpetguy

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 07:56:26 am »

There's a search box top right of the pages. Or there's google. . .

Spike

Ah, fortunately, I do know how to do a search. I just wasn't creative enough to find any good search phrases...  ;D

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 08:57:11 am »

There is a utility called Data Fiddler that I use to do what you are asking.
You create a playlist including the names of your movies on disc, then import it into MC

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,102906.0

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 10:07:08 am »

MC has a "CD" database.

It keeps a record of the discs it encounters in the drive. These can be tagged.
Feed the discs in, let MC do its metadata lookup for them, and create a view called, for example, "Offline Movies" that shows the contents of the CD database filtered down to just the movies.

I currently do this for audio CDs that I own, as well as keeping track of any audio or image files backed up to DVD. I don't do it for movies, but also can't see any reason why this wouldn't work for you if you have the discs?

The view I use, combines the main and the cd database, so I see both in the one view. If I try to play a file that is on optical media, MC prompts me to insert the disc.

-marko

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 08:31:51 pm »

MC has a "CD" database.

It keeps a record of the discs it encounters in the drive. These can be tagged.
Feed the discs in, let MC do its metadata lookup for them, and create a view called, for example, "Offline Movies" that shows the contents of the CD database filtered down to just the movies.

Ah yes, the CD Database. That is where the metadata is stored for discs imported using my Option 2 above. I have edited that post to reflect this information.

I like to have all movies in the one view, rather than using a separate View to look for offline files, so I prefer my method. I guess I could modify the Movies View to include movies from the CD Database though... although there doesn't appear to be a restriction preventing content from the CD Database showing up in the Movie View, either in the Video Group definition or the Movie View definition... I'll have to see if a Blu-ray scanned that way just works without importing the movie file...

Okay, the Movie View definition doesn't specifically restrict content to the Main Database, but it seems to do that by default. If I add a restriction to the CD and Main Databases to the definition I can see all optical movie discs ever inserted into the drive while MC was running, and I can tag movies that I hadn't previously tagged. This is both good and bad, because all movie discs show up in the view, including rented/borrowed/any that friends have played on my HTPC. So not really a good result, and would require more work to include only movies for which I own discs. Also, the message received when trying to play a disc in the CD Database that isn't currently in the optical disc drive is identical to the message I receive if I import the disc. I think I shall stick to importing discs I want to include in my Movie View.

The great news is: I don't need to reinsert all my discs and wait for MC to analyse them, and then manually import them into MC. If a disc has been placed in the drive in the past, so that there is a record of the disc in the CD Database, I can just select one or more the movies in the CD Database, Ctrl-C to copy the records, move to the standard Movie View and Ctrl-V to paste in the records and have them included in the Main Database. Brilliant. Movie records copied that way still appear in the "Recently Imported" playlist, so it is easy to find them and run the "Get Movie & TV Info" function over them, which is required because they don't have Cover Art until I do. Because of this improved and much more efficient workflow, I might actually make time to do this for all the movie discs I haven't ripped. Excellent.

Also, the CD Database is a great way to see what discs I have had in the drive, and maybe remind me if I have watched some movie I can't remember!  ;)

The view I use, combines the main and the cd database, so I see both in the one view. If I try to play a file that is on optical media, MC prompts me to insert the disc.

Doh. I skipped over this bit. But I guess now I understand this comment better, and what needs to be done to make it work.

I currently do this for audio CDs that I own, as well as keeping track of any audio or image files backed up to DVD. I don't do it for movies, but also can't see any reason why this wouldn't work for you if you have the discs?

Doesn't that mean that if you include tracks from a disc that is offline in a playlist, either you get prompted, potentially multiple times, to insert a disc while playing the Playlist, or MC fails to play a track?

I think the concept is great for movies, probably okay for TV Series but with challenges specific to TV Season discs, but perhaps not so good for audio discs. But audio is small and easy to rip, so ripping is a better option for me.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 10:27:54 pm »

Doesn't that mean that if you include tracks from a disc that is offline in a playlist, either you get prompted, potentially multiple times, to insert a disc while playing the Playlist, or MC fails to play a track?
I've set mine up as a one view only affair. It's on the root of the tree, with it's primary use being to help me find something I'm looking for, rather than playback. I keep my "People" data in Keywords, so, when someone 'borrows' a CD, and five years later, when I wonder why I can't find it, I know who to ask ;)

All other views are "Main" database only, so this issue never crops up.

-marko

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2018, 01:02:20 am »

Ah. Nice!  8)

Trumpetguy

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2018, 09:13:48 am »

Truly appreciate all the detailed feedback in this thread. Can't wait to get some me-time to do some testing! Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up