INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA Pause Video - Update?  (Read 1213 times)

RayDiant

• Junior Woodchuck
DLNA Pause Video - Update?
« on: September 10, 2018, 07:11:31 pm »

There are a few threads that get quite technical on pausing a video playing via DLNA but they are all inconclusive and old (2 to 6 years). The JRiver position from these threads seems to be that it is too complicated to implement. I now have a greater need for this function. Is there any update on getting pause to work on a DLNA stream?

It brings up another issue that I raised a little while ago; JRiver should stop building features and start focusing on networking with multiple devices. My new TV has a Plex app built in. It works fairly well including pausing the same stream I couldn't pause using DLNA and JRiver. JRiver is much better as a tool except for this network and device aspect.

Mark

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DLNA Pause Video - Update?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 01:07:18 pm »

Can you elaborate on this?
Are you trying to pause a stream PLAYING in MC or a stream being SERVED by MC?
If it's being served by MC are what are the settings for the MC DLNA server you are using to service the file (conversion, etc).

RayDiant

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: DLNA Pause Video - JRiver networking
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 12:24:01 pm »

Apologies for the long time to respond - just fell off my task list.

Here is what I am doing. I am using JRemote or Panel from a Chromebook. I connect to my main PC based JRiver with all the video and audio on it (the server). If I start to play a video, meaning I choose This is Us (my wife's choice), the device is the ethernet connected panasonic TV, it plays fine but if I pause it then restart it plays from the beginning.

I am trying to decouple my TV from my computer so the computer can be moved out of the living room. JRiver networking is just not good enough to do this seamlessly. Plex can as it has an app built into the TV.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DLNA Pause Video - JRiver networking
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 09:23:51 am »

Apologies for the long time to respond - just fell off my task list.

Here is what I am doing. I am using JRemote or Panel from a Chromebook. I connect to my main PC based JRiver with all the video and audio on it (the server). If I start to play a video, meaning I choose This is Us (my wife's choice), the device is the ethernet connected panasonic TV, it plays fine but if I pause it then restart it plays from the beginning.

I am trying to decouple my TV from my computer so the computer can be moved out of the living room. JRiver networking is just not good enough to do this seamlessly. Plex can as it has an app built into the TV.
So it appears you are using MC's DLNA server to push the content to your TV.
The stock DLNA server setting will convert non-mp2 video to mp2 (because the spec requires that format support). If the TV doesn't support time based seeks you might see the issue you describe.
Most modern TV's with DLNA can play almost anything without conversion, this was more an issue on early implementations.
I would go into your MC server DLNA server settings and turn off video conversions. Tools->Options->Add or Configure DLNA servers->[the server]->Video

RayDiant

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: DLNA Pause Video - Update?
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 02:54:55 pm »

Finally tried what was suggested. It's now working. It is pretty cool, actually. I can now, pause, go forward and back, and stop all with my TV remote.

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up