INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album Tagging Will Not Stick (new 24 64-bit version)  (Read 1140 times)

Jack McCue

• Recent member
Album Tagging Will Not Stick (new 24 64-bit version)
« on: September 14, 2018, 02:10:11 pm »

See below for a better description of the problem.
I have 24.0.50 64-bit installed on my main computer, which controls multiple servers with a very large music collection. It is easier to make tagging changes on my desktop computer, which is CAT-5e networked with the main computer. I use the "sync" feature to make changes on the desktop library, then sync it with the library on the main computer.

It works pretty well about 90% of the time, but periodically the editing of the Album title does not "stick". So, for example, if I change "Beethoven: Quartets" to "Beethoven: Quartets, Complete", as soon as I move to the next category (such as, Artist), the Album title will revert to the earlier "Beethoven: Quartets". If I repeat the same tagging change (it usually takes 3 times), it will finally "stick" and I can move on to other editing of tags. It seems to happen only to Album titles, although I would not swear to that.

Any idea what is going on? I am using the new 64-bit version because the huge database (about 40 tb) really slows down the JRiver processing, in the hopes that it will speed up. Thanks for your help.

Jack

swiv3d

Re: Album Tagging Will Not Stick (new 24 64-bit version)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 02:27:26 pm »

Your database isn't 40tb - the audio files are 40tb - the database (your library) will be a few hundred mb. Sounds to me like you are having an intermittent network problem between the client and the server - I may be wrong, I often am.

swiv3d

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 03:09:48 pm »

Might be worth trying out tagging on the desktop to see if there are any issues between the desktop MC server and your multiple servers.

Jack McCue

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 03:11:26 pm »

Good idea. I will let you know. Thanks.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 04:43:08 pm »

This is a well known behavior/problem.  I can't remember the details of how to solve this, or if it's even solvable.  Do a search or two and you should find numerous threads about it.

Brian.

Jack McCue

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 04:48:17 pm »

Thanks, Brian. It seems to occur on just the remote computer, not the main (server) computer -- I did do a comparison. I will do some searches. If you think of the solution, let me know.

I feel better -- I was starting to think I was just neurotic (which still may be the case...).

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 06:40:24 pm »

Yes, the "well known behavior" is that changes made on a client don't stick under some (all?) circumstances.  Do a search about client metadata changes not working and you'll definitely find some info.

Best of luck.

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 07:11:43 pm »

Authentication must be set on the server.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 08:59:11 pm »

I thought the problem was just a display issue and if you refreshed the View the newly entered value would be displayed.

However I think the Refresh button wasn't always enough to refresh the View, and you had to change Views and then go back to the View you were using to see the new value. Also doing a forced sync fixed the display as well, I think.

I could also be wrong.  8)

Tagging on a Client for me seems to work pretty reliably though.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Jack McCue

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 11:45:53 am »

Thanks Roderick. It does not seem to be a display problem, though. I had tried refreshing -- sort of a "hard" refresh by hitting the top "Album" button after moving to a different view, because I thought, as you did, it might just be a refreshing problem. But it didn't work. I did not try the "sync" on the server, but I doubt it will work since the tagging change goes back to the pre-tag version immediately on leaving the editing box for "album".

I don't know if this matters, but it most predictably occurs with cutting and pasting in the album title box (again, just on the client). For example, what will cause it about 20% of the time is changing from "Beethoven: Overtures [24/96]" to "Beethoven: [HD 24/96] Overtures." Maybe moving the brackets triggers some programming glitch? But I am just a doctor...I don't know much about these things.

I will try searching, as bigentry suggested (duh -- should have done that first. Anyway, I appreciate everyone's help.

Jack

Jack McCue

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 11:51:46 am »

Oops...maybe this was just fixed in version 24.0.52 per Matt? Will have to check it out later today.

Jack McCue

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 04:34:13 pm »

Unfortunately, not fixed. Briefly, album tagging on the *client*, while editing in a network, may revert to the pre-tagged text. This does not occur when editing directly on the server. It seems more likely or perhaps exclusively to occur when brackets "[ ]" are part of the editing. After repeating the editing of the same tag 3-4 times, the tagging edit does finally "stick". It seems to occur only in album editing -- not in artist, genre, etc. Refreshing doesn't help. I don't know if it is version specific, but I am using the 64-bit 24.0.52 version. I think authentication is properly set on the server.

Example: Beethoven: String Quatets (Emerson)
Edited on the client computer to: Beethoven: String Quartets, Complete (Emerson)      This works fine -- no problems.

But if I edit this tag: Beethoven: String Quatets (Emerson) [HD 24/96]   to: Beethoven: [HD 24/96] String Quartets, Complete (Emerson)     --immediately the tag reverts to the original text Beethoven: String Quatets (Emerson) [HD 24/96] as soon as I exit the album tagging box. Thanks for your help.

swiv3d

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 04:39:22 pm »

Brackets  like [  ] usually signify a field in MC which might be the root cause, I may be wrong, I often am. :-X

Jack McCue

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 04:44:06 pm »

Interesting. I did try changing [HD 24/96] to (HD 24/96) and it seemed to work. I can just give up using brackets if that is the answer. Thanks.

swiv3d

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2018, 04:53:20 pm »

Well that is interesting since in a field MC should be looking for an = sign before a set of square brackets.Perhaps a bit of insectidal interference.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2018, 09:34:28 pm »

I tested on my standalone installation of MC, and it does indeed work correctly in that case, as it does directly on your server.

I then tested on a Client to my HTPC MC Server, and it always worked fine. The tag changed first time, every time, using your example "Beethoven: [HD 24/96] String Quartets, Complete (Emerson)" to replace the existing value for an Album tag.

I have 1450 tracks that include a "[]" pair in the Album tag, and 14 tracks in 3 Albums where the Album tag begins with a "[" and has a closing "]" in the tag. I can edit those and tagging all works.

I thought you are right about the "[]" Swiv3d, but now I think it is something to do with the installation. If tagging just didn't work at all on the Client I would suspect that Authentication wasn't set up correctly.

Bottom line, I can't repeat the problem. This is what I think is the problem:

I have 24.0.50 64-bit installed on my main computer, which controls multiple servers with a very large music collection. It is easier to make tagging changes on my desktop computer, which is CAT-5e networked with the main computer. I use the "sync" feature to make changes on the desktop library, then sync it with the library on the main computer.

From the Wiki:
Authentication
If your Library Server is available to the Internet (or if you are not sure if it is), use Authentication. In the server options, enable Authentication and set a user name and password that must be provided by the client before the connection is allowed.

Also: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Server_Sync

I'm not an expert on how Authentication works, but it is also required to allow write access to the MC Server, and hence enable editing of tags. The actual UserID and Password for Read/Write access is stored on the MC Server, but the Client needs to provide that on first connection to the server, I think. It has been a while since I setup my environment.

If you are using one installation of MC to connect as a Client to multiple installations of MC Servers, Authentication may be getting "lost". You may need to close the MC Client (including any Media Server on the Client), restart the Client, and then connect to a different MC Server so that Authentication works.

I can't tell from the quoted post above exactly what your installation topology is. Do you have multiple MC Servers that you manage from one MC Client? If so, what is the "main computer"? It doesn't appear to be the same PC as your "Desktop computer"?

When you say you use the "sync" feature, do you mean the normal Client-Server synchronisation, or are you talking about the "File > Library > Sync Library..." function between your "Desktop computer" and the "main computer", which is completely different? To clarify, the normal Client-Server synchronisation function can be run from "File > Library > Sync Changes with Library Server", or by selecting the library under Playing Now and clicking the "Sync Changes with Library Server" button.

Please explain your environment and installation topology some more.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

MikeO

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2018, 06:34:39 am »

Some tags can only be edited on the PC that holds the files, Artwork is one example

If you do a remote connection to your main library PC often things look like they have been changed locally but not back at the main server

You should only have the one “main library server” , you may have to make some edits on that server

I do t know if that’s the case here

Mike

Jack McCue

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2018, 02:11:26 pm »

Thanks so much for everyone's help.  And especially RoderickGI, MikeO, swiv3d, bigentry -- I think everyone was right -- except me... The problem seems to have been that in the server library settings, I set the server to sync with the client, and the library settings I set the client to sync with the server. So when a change was made on the client, the server was trying to change it back to what was originally in the server library -- and, at the same time, the client was trying to sync its changes with the server.

So if it was a simple change (like genre), the client usually won. If it was a more involved change (like the "[...]" examples) the server would occasionally prevail because the changes took longer (I think). And when editing changes were made directly on the server, it always won.

I thought, from the wiki instructions, that both server and client had to be set to sync each other. (dumb! One of them has to be the boss in the sync-ing!) Hopefully, that is the end of it. Again, thanks for your patience and help.

Jack
Pages: [1]   Go Up