INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Analyze Audio' errors  (Read 4739 times)

LisaRCT

'Analyze Audio' errors
« on: May 29, 2003, 06:56:00 am »

When I am analyzing my audio files (and I have been working lately on the many needing this as of yet), I find that as long as I do not select nore than perhaps 100 files in a batch I have no problem,
However,
As soon as I try to select several hundred files in a batch I find that I get file error messages stating that since the last several files have caused analyze errors and the process has been stopped.
The very SAME files DO analyze properly IF they are done in smaller batches (say 20 - 60 files).
It appears that once there are errors generated it just waterfalls down the file list until the process is stopped.
This has been reproducable, although I have not taken the time to determine the critical point in batch size.
I would like to be able to select ALL my files which need analysis, begin the process, and go to bed to find the task completed.

~ Listening to Carlos Santana - Oneness on MC9 - - - > The BEST media player available   ;D

LisaRCT

Re: 'Analyze Audio' errors
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2003, 08:43:13 am »

Update:
Still analyzing files . . .  same situation occurs, more specifics:

Happens intermittantly, but frequency of occurrance appears tied to size of batch being processed.

I have had this occur with as few as 50 - 60 files in the batch, but again..... when the batch size was reduced significantly the files did analyze without error   ?

Bartabedian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2003, 10:03:27 am »

Turn off "update tags when info changes" in the general section of the options. Then try again.

LisaRCT

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2003, 11:08:10 am »

That seemed to help until I ran into errors again.
Isolating the 'bad' files and analyzing in a smaller batch did nothing to avoid the error/abort pattern this time.
Next I went to the folder view pane in MC and found the drive folder where the 'bad files' were located.  
When I analyzed them again in their disk folders BINGO . . . sucessfully analyzed.
Now I am really puzzled . . .  and looking at either alot more work or alot more file deletions   :(
Bummer . . .
?

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
  • Bike, Mind and Body are part of the same system
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2003, 01:13:01 pm »

I've been having EXACTLY the same problem. Just had to set it running, wait for it to sstop on errors and then start again. Restarting MC was necessary sometimes to clear the errors.

I now have 18 un-analyzed files left but when I select them and then choose Analyze, they show up as queued and can't be analized.

What exactly does Queued mean in the Analyze dialogue box?

Media Center Registered 9.0.178 -- C:\Program Files\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Unknown 77 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 383 MB, Free - 34 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive D: TOSHIBA  CDRW/DVD SDR2102   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:8  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

AndyCircuit

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2003, 01:27:21 pm »

Same with me, batch about 3200 files caused 20 times a error stop. About the 18 files left: uncheck the box 'skip analyzed files' and do it again. In my case the values for 'Peak Level' were empty so it was not analyzed for the smartlist task but ready for the analyze tool.
Electricians do it 'til it Hz

LisaRCT

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2003, 01:44:31 pm »

Hmmmm,
maybe instead me of overlooking something this time,
we may have actually found a bug?

AndyCircuit

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2003, 01:55:15 pm »

I've done this test with the 3200 files on two different machines, amd xp2200 256mb w2k and athlon 1200 256mb xp pro. almost no difference in error stops, both tests took about 2 days because I wasn't always there to re-start. Sometimes only 35 files until stop, sometimes 600. Never more. So what do you think Lisa ?
BTW, I suppose the failed Peak Level entry might be the key...
Electricians do it 'til it Hz

Phydeaux

• World Citizen
  • No comment... ;)
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2003, 12:30:23 am »

This is a known bug. However, the developers can't seem to reproduce it. Until they can, they can't fix it.

It's a bit of a bugger, but that's life, I suppose.

On a more serious note, I am getting different results from Audio Analysis from the automatic scan-while-ripping option and the normal analyse-audio command.

Anyone experience anything similar?

P.
"Evil will always triumph over Good because Good is dumb." -- Spaceballs

canaro99

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2003, 05:29:22 pm »

While not experiencing the same type of errors, the resultant sound from analyzed files in not acceptable.

Can anyone tell me how to "un-analyze" them?

Thanks,

John
Thank you,

John

Phydeaux

• World Citizen
  • No comment... ;)
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2003, 12:33:08 am »

If you have a look at the properties pane, simply remove / clear the values for Intensity, BPM and Replay Gain and you should be done "un-analysing" them

P.
"Evil will always triumph over Good because Good is dumb." -- Spaceballs

LisaRCT

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2003, 04:20:05 am »

While not experiencing the same type of errors, the resultant sound from analyzed files in not acceptable.
John

Analyzing should have Absolutely NO EFFECT on the sound quality . . .   it does not alter the files, it merely assigns a value for playback gain, etc.

I suggest you open the DSP Studio and UNcheck 'Replay Gain'.  Doing so should make it obvious that there is no sound change.  The proof? - Take two copies of the same file (alter the name of one), analyze only one copy and compare.  The only difference you should hear (theoretically) is a volume difference with 'Replay Gain' turned on.

Listening to "It's a Beautiful Day - Live at Carnegie Hall - White Bird'
Only on MC9 of course

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2003, 08:54:57 am »

i am presently analyzing about 6400 files. When I stared and selected all files I wasn't paying attention & had left the shuffle function on, the analyzer evidently doesn't like Led Zep III - I got the "can't analyze file" everytime it tried ol' led zep III. I have since turned off "shuffle", put the albums back in alphabetical order and restarted the analyzing. It's now at 680 and counting. I'll report back when it gets stuck again, altho it doesn't seem to be matter of quantity of files.

How about adding a 2nd "skip" function to skip files it can't analize?
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

modelmaker

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2003, 09:37:20 am »

800 & counting, no errors so far.
Jay.

modelmaker

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2003, 09:51:52 am »

I am having a different problem; the scroll bars are not funtioning in the analize window.

890 files & still going.
Jay.

canaro99

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2003, 01:17:40 pm »

Analyzing should have Absolutely NO EFFECT on the sound quality . . .   it does not alter the files, it merely assigns a value for playback gain, etc.

That's what I thought, too. I play music for milongas (tango dances) and last week I analyzed everything for the evening. I didn't have time to preview the work (big mistake) and resultant sound was distorted and otherwise unacceptable.

I rip from the original CDs at 224 bits and I play the music through my iPod. In the past it has sounded very good. Could this be an iPod problem? If so, I should switch threads.

Thanks for the input, help and suggestions.

John
Thank you,

John

modelmaker

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2003, 11:58:24 pm »

3850 files & still analyzing.

Listening to: Steamhammer ; On The Road (1968?) 8)
Jay.

escaflo

• Galactic Citizen
  • And the answer is.... 42!
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2003, 06:43:09 am »

Just found out that I also have the same problem. :(

I am having the exact same problem as LisaRCT.
Don't Panic!

LisaRCT

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2003, 12:24:55 pm »

ok, so what is different with our files vs. Modelmaker's files or system or software??  
there must be a key here somewhere . . . .
?

fex

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2003, 12:50:05 pm »

Same problem here (as reported many times) since last december.

Have around 14'000 tracks now. No matter where I begin with analyzing - always the same. Sometimes after 150, sometimes after 300 or more tracks.

Media Center Registered 9.0.179 -- C:\Programme\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 1998 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 151 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive G:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:IDE   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   chord.wav

Burning /  Drive G: YAMAHA   CRW-F1E            Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:10  MaxSpeed:44  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

phatanhappy

• Recent member
  • Who is Jon Gault?
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2003, 01:09:16 pm »

For various reason- I have analysed my 10,000 files - more then once. - I think I am on my 3rd or 4th analysization right now.  Usually i queue up 500 or more files and it makes the machine a little squirrely with all the cpu and HD usage - but it grinds them out.  The last time It had to be done - I queued up 3000+ files and walked away for a day - came back - checked - and started up again.  All times - it worked fined, no distortion of files and the analize worked on a all but 3 files - I dont remember the album - but the songs were something like "moment of silence for John"  "Moment of silence for Tom" -all files are 0 byte ape files. The analyse finishes when I add new disks - but it always hangs on the last 3, It hasnt bothered me enough to dig thru the pile of ripped disks to find the disk andtrouble shoot it, since the files I am missing are comprised of momemt of silence.  All songs are APE files with high compression - i do not notice any distortion after analysing.

modelmaker

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2003, 02:18:39 pm »

just finished analyzing my 6500 files. MC ground them out until 6304. There were 18 files it wouldn't analyze - the analyzer must have a real thing about Led Zep, except for 1 Who file, the rest were all Led Zep III & IV files!

When it was done, in the bottom right corner it said 18 files qued, but I couldn't analyze these.

Issue #2: I could not scroll up/down or left/right in the analyzer window while it was analyzing. When the process was completed, scroll function returned. I did have functionallity in the main window if Analyzer was minimized. ?

So, there's my 2 cents.
Jay.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2003, 02:55:48 pm »

>> it said 18 files qued, but I couldn't analyze these.
they might be bad files

re-rip\re-encode them and see what happens
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

escaflo

• Galactic Citizen
  • And the answer is.... 42!
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2003, 06:45:34 pm »

ok, so what is different with our files vs. Modelmaker's files or system or software??  
there must be a key here somewhere . . . .
?

no idea, but whatever it is, i just hope that we can find it soon. :P

am using MP3Gain now. got a post with some questions on it.
Don't Panic!
Pages: [1]   Go Up