INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC alters Windows system file creation date when changing/adding cover art?  (Read 826 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe

All,

Just noticed a issue on my system (at least with FLAC files) with MC 24.0.52 (and presumably all prior versions)

Seems that when I update the cover art (Add From File) and actually embed the cover art into the file tag - the Windows system file creation date is being modified along with the Modified Date (which is fine).

Is MC not able to update a FLAC file tag to add artwork and just adjust the Modified Date accordingly?

MC should never be changing the system file creation date for any reason.

Would like to understand what is happening here (See Attachment)

VP

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MC alters Windows system file creation date when changing/adding cover art?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 11:26:01 am »

MC probably had to rewrite the entire file.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Vocalpoint

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 11:27:55 am »

MC probably had to rewrite the entire file.

Wow - really? That probably answers my other post from this morning regarding Creation Date.

That is unfortunate.

Thanks.

VP

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 11:31:56 am »

We might be able to preserve the date created in this case.  I'll look at it tomorrow.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 11:40:23 am »

We might be able to preserve the date created in this case.  I'll look at it tomorrow.

Appreciate that Matt.

This could have some serious implications for many types of backup software that rely on Windows file stamps to be intact from one session to the next. In a "mirror" backup scenario - this could result in files being deleted from the destination without warning if the backup software believes there is no matching file due to a (now) new creation date on the source.

I am good with Modified date being updated if necessary just as any file would be if changed. But the creation date should probably be left alone in most cases.

VP

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 12:52:03 pm »

If you're adding cover art to the file, then it's a different file, so arguably, it's not wrong to change the date created.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 01:12:53 pm »

If you're adding cover art to the file, then it's a different file, so arguably, it's not wrong to change the date created.

I disagree - adding cover art = a modification (image tag) to an existing FLAC file.

When I open a Word doc and type a new paragraph into it (modification) - Word does not change the system file created date.  It updates the modified date (and perhaps the Accessed date).

VP

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 03:07:53 pm »

It isn't like an edit of a tag.  It changes the file size.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 03:14:43 pm »

It isn't like an edit of a tag.  It changes the file size.

As does editing a Word doc. I could add 5 MB of material to a document - the file size will change dramatically - but the creation date remains static.

That said - it seems that adding cover art to FLAC is most ceratainly not like adding 5 MB worth of material to a Word doc. Seems this process (embedding cover art) almost requires the container to be unpacked and then repacked - which of course does create a new file. I tried a few other tools I have and observed the same behavior. Not much I can do if this is by design.

Thanks,

VP

wer

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 11:20:44 pm »

To the file system, there's no difference between a Word file and a FLAC file, and no difference between a FLAC tag and any other bytes inside the file.

This is programmer's choice.  Any application can change or avoid changing the file modification or creation timestamps on Windows programmatically, regardless of whether it is changing 1 bit, or adding or deleting 5MB.

Best practice on writing is to only update the modification date, unless you delete and recreate the file (as might be the case with scratch files).

Regarding what MC does, I have FLAC files where MC has changed/updated various tags, and the modification timestamp is new but the creation timestamp is unchanged, which is consistent with the best practices I mentioned above.  Not sure why you're seeing something different, although I'm on Win7.

RD James

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 05:40:47 am »

Even if it's technically being written as a "new file" behind the scenes, the user intent is a modification of the original file, so the original creation date should be preserved if that's possible.
If Media Center is modifying the creation date when changing album art tags, I have no way of looking up when I originally ripped a CD now.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 06:17:39 am »

If Media Center is modifying the creation date when changing album art tags, I have no way of looking up when I originally ripped a CD now.

Exactly. The original file date is critical to many of my processes and now this date is lost.

VP

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 07:58:32 am »

The creation date will be preserved next build.  I was expecting to have to do some work, but there was already a parameter on the function we were calling!  Done in a minute :)

Vocalpoint

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2018, 08:19:25 am »

The creation date will be preserved next build.  I was expecting to have to do some work, but there was already a parameter on the function we were calling!  Done in a minute :)

Matt,

Really appreciate your efforts. Thank you!

VP
Pages: [1]   Go Up