INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote makes JRiver unstable  (Read 712 times)

spalmgre

• Recent member
JRemote makes JRiver unstable
« on: September 26, 2018, 06:18:57 am »

Win10 and JRiver 24 64bit and JRemote on iPad mini. This did work well spring 2018. Now I have severe unstable system when using JRemote.

JRiver used alone seams to be fairly stable. But I have had to restart JRiver and also the PC. This can some times be a result of driver conflicts as I use my computer for speaker measurements with REW.

But still when no other programs are running I get a short freezing in JRiver interface short after startup. I thought this might have to do with my 100Gb music library. So now I have upgraded to a 500Gb SSD disk. This did not change things. And there is no background prosess in JRiver.

Now when using JRemote on my iPad I get a connection. I can see on the iPad what record and which track is paying. The information is updated to JRemote as it should be done. So information from PC Win10 -> iPad JRemote seams to work.

But when I seek and start to play a track on iPad/JRemote then the selected track can be seen on the PC screen. The track starts playing but stops after about one second.

Now when writing this I test at the same time. After several attempt's I seam to find a different result depending on witch list I use in JRemote/iPad. See attached screen shot.
After some attempts JRiver frees on the PC after which get a screen that suggest to reinstall JRiver. I have also got information that some features has been reset.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRemote makes JRiver unstable
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 06:40:11 am »

Antivirus software could do that.

swiv3d

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 06:47:44 am »

Think JimH is onto something there - My JRemote is working exactly as expected when following your post.

spalmgre

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 09:41:35 am »

I don't use any antivirus program but Defender which is a part of Win 10. My setup is as it was half a year ago. I know that there can be many reasons why a program is unstable.
But I think that reporting a problem is the key to solving it. I have been a software entrepreneur for 30 years so seen some bugs over the years.

swiv3d

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 10:45:28 am »

Have you recently updated to mc 24 from a previous version? As I write this I am switching tunes at a frantic rate with jremote clicking in the area you are reporting as non-functional or causing problems - my conclusion would be that something in your network set up is interfering with normal activity. But you probably know best.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 11:12:19 am »

For Windows Defender, please see this thread:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114101.0.html

Also check the "Weird Problems" link in my signature.

MikeO

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 12:14:37 pm »

I have a working drive “ protected” with Defender but my data drives are excluded, once a file has been imported I deem it safe so the data drives are safe by default

This means a file isn’t scanned on playback

Don’t know if it helps but I have no hassle at all

Hope it helps

Mike

spalmgre

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 02:21:47 am »

Problem solved - the only way out was to do an as clean as possible reinstall.

You will lose a lot of your setups but your music files and the library with thumbnails are intact. But I did make a backup of everything. And it makes one wonder why JRiver spreads out files, cache, temp etc all around the C: drive. Why not put it all in one folder.

So I did try config the Defender, not to bather JRiver related files and folders. This did not alter the problem. And I am not really surprised. I have never seen that defender would slow down database read or write operations that I do with large databases on the same PC. But I shall do some more test once JRiver now is playing along.

I finally did reinstall JRiver 24 64 after trying everything else. So now JRemote also works as it did before my troubles started. The skip from track to track is almost instant.

I have tried to remember what kind of configuration I did do when my problems started. I have a feeling that I did fiddle with the Tools/Options/Audio -Track Change and -Stop, Seek & Skip settings and View/Skin trying out different skins.

I shall continue testing and see can I corrupt JRiver again.

Pages: [1]   Go Up