INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the option "Show a link checkbox" in 'Manage Library Fields'?  (Read 1074 times)

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen

See subject line -- can anybody tell what that option is about?
"To be is to do" (Socrates) - "To do is to be" (Sartre) - "Do be do be do" (Sinatra)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
Re: What is the option "Show a link checkbox" in 'Manage Library Fields'?
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 07:36:15 am »

I had searched the forum though, but didn't know about the 'advanced' support search page... Thank you for that!
"To be is to do" (Socrates) - "To do is to be" (Sartre) - "Do be do be do" (Sinatra)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 07:39:07 am »

The default search only searches your current location.  The Advanced Search is better.  So is a Google search for JRiver + [your search].

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 09:48:20 am »

The default search only searches your current location.  The Advanced Search is better.  So is a Google search for JRiver + [your search].

I did search on the MC 24 forum level, that should find everything related to the main program, features, options etc, so there...
(If a site has its own search I'm avoiding Google, delivers too much advertising... ;-)

swiv3d

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 10:33:13 am »

Click Windows  or Interact Forum in the links line and then do your search.

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 01:45:15 pm »

Anyway we search, I think the problem is the incorrect original English line "Show a link checkbox"... (and may be the reason why people keep asking, searching etc. about this feature... ;-)

What the feature does is not add any checkbox (except for the one in "Options" to enable it... ;-) but an arrow shaped link icon (a bit too small for MC 24.0.52 when DPI is set high, but fixed in new build) in list views which, when clicked, will filter the active view for the corresponding field, e.g. 'Artist' (for which it is enabled by default in 'Manage Library Fields')...

My suggestion is, change the English line to something more 'telling' - e.g. "Show link icon for selected fields"... that should answer all these questions for good... ;-).

swiv3d

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 01:50:30 pm »

You have a good point there.

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2018, 01:58:25 pm »

Yes, I tend to notice these things since I am also involved in maintaining the German language file... ;-)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 10:10:39 pm »

Anyway we search, I think the problem is the incorrect original English line "Show a link checkbox"...

I thought the inclusion of the word "Checkbox" was a bit strange in the description as well. It could be just dropped, leaving the description as "Show a link", or it could be "Show a link icon", or if longer was okay, "Show a link icon next to the field in Views".

Given that the checkbox is in the "Manage Library Fields" dialogue, where the field being referred to is already selected, I probably wouldn't use "Show link icon for selected fields".

It is one of those quick changes that would make MC easier to use, but it affects all translations, so there is some inertia resisting the change.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up