INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Internet access to home MC library  (Read 2660 times)

soongsc

• World Citizen
Internet access to home MC library
« on: October 07, 2018, 04:42:25 am »

Hi Folks,

I have gone though instructions on accessing MC library for playback on the internet.  However, connection seems not possible. The attached screenshot shows the result I get using JRemote.

Since I have already set the port forwarding on both routers and ADSL modem.  I am wondering besides port 52199, what other ports need to be forwarded.

I am running V21 on a MacBook.  And wish to access using either a notebook or JRemote.  My understanding is that when using MC on the remote notebook, I can still use the FIR filters.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Internet access to home MC library
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 06:57:57 am »

This may be a firewall problem on your router or your computer.

This should help:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Network_Access

soongsc

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 09:56:50 pm »

I did read that, since access works on the LAN with the same settings.  There should be no problem with the computer or second router where the computer is connected.
The main router connected to ADSL has the port  52199 routed to the second router IP address.  So what can be the problem?

alglove

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 07:24:06 pm »

If I read this correctly, you say you have 2 routers. One router, I guess, is the one from HiNet. The other one is a router you have inside your house or apartment. So your network looks something like this:

internet ----> [HiNet router] ----> [inside router] ----> MacBook (192.168.1.2)

...and you are forwarding 52199 from the [HiNet router] to the [inside router], and again from the [inside router] to the MacBook (192.168.1.2).  Which sounds correct.

As a temporary test, can you connect the MacBook directly to the [HiNet router]? And then forward 52199 from the [HiNet router] directly to the new IP address of the MacBook?

internet ----> [HiNet router] ----> MacBook (new address)

If this works, then the problem may something going wrong with the forwarding at the [inside router]... maybe a configuration issue.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 07:52:49 pm »

Also, is the MacBook always on, or are you trying to use WOL to wake it before connecting?

WOL usually requires a packet to be broadcast on the LAN. Most consumer routers don't allow a broadcast packet through from the WAN to the LAN for security reasons. So a WOL needs to be directed specifically to the internal IP Address of the target device, the MacBook, in the Port Forwarding settings. While you can set those values, the packet won't be forwarded if the router doesn't currently know the IP Address. i.e. If the device is off and has been off long enough for the router to clear it from the current ARP table, which it does in a few minutes usually.

Having the double routers and double NAT would make this situation worse. The Port Forwarding from the first to the second router would probably work, as I assume both are on, but it may suffer the above issue. The second router would definitely have the above issue if the MacBook is off. I have been in your situation in the past where I had a Cable Modem+Router from my ISP, and then used my own internal router. The best way to make that configuration work was to put the Cable Modem+Router into "Bridge Mode" so that it operated only as a modem. Unless you have very good reason to keep two routers, such as wanting to have two separate internal sub-nets on your LAN for security reasons, I would put the HiNet device into Bridge Mode and just use the one router, if possible.

I now use just one device, the ISPs Cable Modem+Router, and I still can't get WOL, or WOW really, working. For the moment I do what you are trying to do by leaving my HTPC turned on, and then the connection works from the WAN/Internet. I have tested thoroughly and now know that if f I wished to get this working while the HTPC was sleeping, I would need to put the Cable Modem+Router into Bridge Mode (I can't flash the firmware on the ISPs device, obviously), then use another internal router with a custom firmware that allows Broadcast Packets to be sent through from the WAN to the LAN. Quite achievable, but not what I want to do right now.

PS: If you want to do this with more than just a MC Client, for example with Panel, then you need to forward extra ports. What port does JRemote use?
See https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,115638.msg807589.html#msg807589
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

soongsc

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 08:04:45 pm »

Currently I have the MacBook in all the time because  even in the LAN, I cannot get it to wake up.  My internal router currently is an AirPort Extreme.  Does this matter?

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 08:12:53 pm »

As long as the HiNet router can see the 192.168.x.x network, you should be able to port forward straight from there.

Also depending on the setup, you may need to put in a firewall exception on 52199 as well as configuring forwarding, one lets it in the other tells it where to go.

soongsc

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 08:35:49 pm »

I will see if there is a firewall exception setting on the Airport Extreme.

soongsc

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 10:27:10 am »

If I read this correctly, you say you have 2 routers. One router, I guess, is the one from HiNet. The other one is a router you have inside your house or apartment. So your network looks something like this:

internet ----> [HiNet router] ----> [inside router] ----> MacBook (192.168.1.2)

...and you are forwarding 52199 from the [HiNet router] to the [inside router], and again from the [inside router] to the MacBook (192.168.1.2).  Which sounds correct.

As a temporary test, can you connect the MacBook directly to the [HiNet router]? And then forward 52199 from the [HiNet router] directly to the new IP address of the MacBook?

internet ----> [HiNet router] ----> MacBook (new address)

If this works, then the problem may something going wrong with the forwarding at the [inside router]... maybe a configuration issue.

I tried connecting to the Hinet router.  Also disabled the firewall on the MacBook.  It still will not connect.
The weird thing is with my phone on the internal network to my second router, I can connect to the MacBook server, but since the files are not on the server itself, it will return an error when trying to playback.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 05:16:32 pm »

The image you posted indicates that your phone was able to connect to the JRiver servers on the internet and collect the IP Addresses associated with your Access Key, but does not indicate that a connection was made to the MacBook server.

In fact, I would interpret the "Timeout" messages as failure to connect to the server.

Do you actually see content from your server listed when you "connect", and then selecting something and attempting to play it fails, or are you just going by the messages in that image?

For your setup to work, all of your devices need to be on the same subnet. i.e. They need to be able to see each other, as Scobie says.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

alglove

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 05:21:40 pm »

I tried connecting to the Hinet router.  Also disabled the firewall on the MacBook.  It still will not connect.
The weird thing is with my phone on the internal network to my second router, I can connect to the MacBook server, but since the files are not on the server itself, it will return an error when trying to playback.

When you connected the MacBook to the HiNet router, did you remember to change the port forwarding on the HiNet router to the MacBook's new address, 192.168.0.4?

If you forgot to change the port forwarding, then this would actually make sense. Nothing from the outside would know how to get to 192.168.0.4.

phone --> internet --> HiNet router --> ?

However, when your phone is on the internal network, then it actually does have a known path to 192.168.0.4, because it is between your two routers. The network signal in this case stays totally inside your house, and never goes out to the internet.

phone --> (192.168.1.1) AirPort Extreme (192.168.0.2?) --> MacBook (192.168.0.4)

soongsc

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 06:33:10 pm »

When you connected the MacBook to the HiNet router, did you remember to change the port forwarding on the HiNet router to the MacBook's new address, 192.168.0.4?

If you forgot to change the port forwarding, then this would actually make sense. Nothing from the outside would know how to get to 192.168.0.4.

phone --> internet --> HiNet router --> ?

However, when your phone is on the internal network, then it actually does have a known path to 192.168.0.4, because it is between your two routers. The network signal in this case stays totally inside your house, and never goes out to the internet.

phone --> (192.168.1.1) AirPort Extreme (192.168.0.2?) --> MacBook (192.168.0.4)
The MacBook address is (192.168.0.104) when connected to the Hinet router, yes, I did change the port forwarding.  Still, the phone could not connect to the Server from the WAN side of the Hinet router.  I am suspecting some otherports need to be forwarded as well as I asked in the beginning.

When the phone is on the internal network in the above case, I can see the file listed as I normally would when I playback nornally.  But since the files are on the internal network instead of the Hinet router, not being able playback is expected.

alglove

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 07:00:27 pm »

The MacBook address is (192.168.0.104) when connected to the Hinet router, yes, I did change the port forwarding.  Still, the phone could not connect to the Server from the WAN side of the Hinet router.  I am suspecting some otherports need to be forwarded as well as I asked in the beginning.

Hmmmm, yes, I see what you mean. Forwarding port 52199 to 192.168.0.104... I would also expect this to work. Especially since you turned off the firewall on the MacBook. I am not really sure what is going on here, but I shall think about it.

When the phone is on the internal network in the above case, I can see the file listed as I normally would when I playback nornally.  But since the files are on the internal network instead of the Hinet router, not being able playback is expected.

Ah, I get it. So the files themselves are behind the AirPort Extreme, and the only reason the MacBook cannot play those files now is because you moved the MacBook to the HiNet router, for the purpose of this test. So yes, I agree. Totally expected error.

But what is important is that phone can connect to the MacBook at all. Which it can from behind the AirPort Extreme, but not from the internet.

Hmmmmm, like I said, I am going to have to think about this. And I see why you are wondering about an additional port.

soongsc

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2018, 03:30:23 am »

I used a different player DS Audio to stream from the internet to my hotel, it worked fine.  Too bad I could not get JRiver to work.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2018, 05:59:20 am »

I used a different player DS Audio to stream from the internet to my hotel, it worked fine.  Too bad I could not get JRiver to work.
If it works with anything else, then it will work with JRiver.  It has to be a configuration issue. 

The wiki has a topic on Network Access.  Try opening ports 52100 to 52200.  The router also has to forward packets correctly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up