INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC9 is possesed by Real Player demon.  (Read 2678 times)

simpleuser99

• Junior Woodchuck
  • BANZAI!!!!
MC9 is possesed by Real Player demon.
« on: May 29, 2003, 11:57:12 pm »

I don't know why but when I try to play some web radio stations I get a pop-up box asking to download Real Media Player. I try to close it and all heel breaks out.
I try to click exit and I get asked again to download. I try to click to red "X" to close the box and my browser starts up to Real Networks page.
I have to go into the task manager to kill Media Center. This is totally sick and a pain. It is also a major bug in my opinion. Especially for a release version.
Please fix the streaming so that more of the stations work. Thank you and sorry to complain.  :-*

Gary

Holden

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: MC9 is possesed by Real Player demon.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2003, 07:16:23 am »

I still, in 179, have the problem whenever I try to drag files from the main window in MC9 to a playlist in the left hand tree, I get a message saying we are connecting to Real Player to download software. I can observe a lot of action going on - hard drive light active - and I can't stop this process and soon the system crashes and I have to reboot. This has been this way for the last several builds and one other user confirmed he had the same problem.

I really don't want any part of Real.

No one from J River has acknowledged this problem so far.

Holden
...happy to be among such a great bunch of members. Holden

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2003, 07:30:31 am »

Can you be more specific?

What kind of file?  MP3?

Which window?

Real Player must be installed to play Real formats.  There is a link in one of the top threads here.

Can you play the file in Real?  

Is the file association set in MC?  Sometimes Real grabs file associations even if it is set.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2003, 07:43:01 am »

>> No one from J River has acknowledged
>> this problem so far.

From The FAQ

Why can't I play .ra, .ram, .rm, .rmj, .rmm, .rmx, .rp, or .rv files?
Make sure you have RealPlayer 6+ installed.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Holden

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2003, 08:16:43 am »

Here's an example of my problem: I do a search for Kiri Te Kanawa and Irving Berlin. This produces in the window under the search field a list of 16 mp3 files. Under organization in the file tree - left window - I have a section on Composers and one of those is Irving Berlin, in which I have several mp3 files of compositions written by him. These I have dragged there with no problem in earlier builds.

But now when I try to drag these mp3 files to that group, the problem takes place. All of these files I can play in MC9 with no problem.

I have no ra, etc. files on my computer so have no use for real player.

MC9 has the association set for MP3s

OS is Windows Me, same as it has been when the dragging worked OK.

Thank you for looking into this JimH.

Holden

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2003, 08:21:57 am »

Strange, Ever Have Real On That Computer?

if you have real loading up when your using mp3's you might want to look in windows explorer, then select

tools, folder options, file types

then look at MP3 and see what will be loaded or what will play that file as a default.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

LisaRCT

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2003, 11:37:51 am »

Is it ok to totally uninstall / remove / regedit / scrub / erradicate / FUBAR / etc any traces of Real from my PC without losing the ability to play some file types?

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2003, 01:16:08 pm »

yup..

...If you avoid playing any files that require RealPlayer. RP8 is not a bad thing to have on-board. You can get rid of all pop-ups in the RP options. The only one you can't is the "Do you want to update..." when RP is closed.

Holden

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2003, 07:11:04 pm »

King Sparta, I checked the association in the steps you outlined and found that opposite mp3 was "Mediajukebox."

I have no problem playing any mp3 file. It's when I drag one of them to a playlist in "organization" - that the problem occurs.

Could it be that I am using the wrong terminology in refering to the categories and subcategories under organization as a playlist?

However, wrong terminology or not, that's when the problems occur.

Holden

simpleuser99

• Junior Woodchuck
  • BANZAI!!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2003, 07:40:35 pm »

My problem was mainly when trying to play a radio station and THEN it asked me to download Real Player.
Actually, I don't need to play Real files and I don't need to down the Real Player.

My "real" problem with with the MC9 installer function.

I don't know which radio stations require Real codecs so it is trial and error. But, if one does require the codecs then the installer pops up and asks me to download the player.

Not being able to exit the installer makes it hard to search for non-real player radio stations.

This is the problem I am having.

When I click on "Exit" from the installer window I can't exit. This is a bug in the program.

Maybe Real One Player is a nice program to have but I want MC9 so I don't HAVE to have so many other programs.

These days there are so many Multi Media programs out there that are making computer file associations look like Christmas trees.

Oh, I hope that MC9 would let me know which stations are on air or playable at the time. Many radion stations simply don't work.

Well, sorry for all the griping. Most all the other functions of MC9 work very well. Keep up the good work.

Gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up