INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Last Played Not Being Updated Consistently  (Read 950 times)

ElijahBaley

• Recent member
Last Played Not Being Updated Consistently
« on: October 19, 2018, 04:24:17 pm »

Recently, I started looking at my Music Library for albums I had either never played or not played for a long time – using a Smartlist looking at ‘Last Played’ to find the tracks. I was somewhat surprised when the list returned 50+ albums where track #1 matched the criteria, but no other tracks did.

Now I am (probably) an old-fashioned listener who prefers to play whole albums in the order the songs were originally presented so I knew something was not quite right.

So, I did some testing to see if I could find the circumstances where this occurred, and it appears that when I  use one device as Controller (either my MC server itself or, say, Gizmo on a tablet) and a different device as Renderer (in this case, MC running as a library client on another PC; I think it's OK with DLNA renderers) the first track played does not update the ‘Last Played’ value. Upon looking at the ‘Recently Played’ smartlist I noticed that it had updated the first track of the previous album I had played on that same Renderer. It only seems to occur when the Renderer is idle – adding additional tracks/albums to an active ‘Playing Now’ list is OK. Similarly, using the same MC instance as both Controller and Renderer is OK.

Both my server and client are Windows 10 1803 and running MC 24.0.55, although it is clear this has been going on a long time, at least back to MC23, perhaps further.
I’ve been using MC for years and never noticed before – never really looked at the Last Played tag – but now I know, it is in my head every time I start playing an album!

Please could someone take a look?

swiv3d

Re: Last Played Not Being Updated Consistently
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 06:45:58 am »

Hi Elijah
I have just tested this by playing a never previously played album from my 24/7 headless server to the player on my main computer and you are quite correct. Viewing the 2 MC installations at the same time it is clear that the problem arises because when the first track is sent to the client the second track is also listed on the client. When the track finishes MC on the server updates the last played date for the second track shown on the client but doesn't change the last played date of the first track. Subsequent tracks are sent to the client singly and so they all get updated as they should. So now this is in my head too! ;D
This is a definite bug in the system.

ElijahBaley

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 03:14:49 am »

So now this is in my head too! ;D

Thanks, glad it's not just me  ;)

The very odd one though is where it updates the first track from the previous album I played. To add a little more to that (I wasn't looking I promise): Yesterday, I played some albums to that same client zone using the client as the controller and renderer - everything fine. Later, I played another album to that zone, but this time started it from the server. This morning, when I looked at the Recently Played list I saw it had updated the first track of the previous album I had played to that zone from the server, more than 24 hours earlier. It looks like the server has 'remembered' the last album it played to that zone and is trying to update the Last Played before that info has been updated with the album that is now playing.

Thanks again. I'll try to stop to looking at this now ;)

swiv3d

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 07:12:31 pm »

Bump - Don't like to see errors in jriver!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 12:49:50 am »

If you are sure you've found a bug, please report it in the thread that announces the build.  Try that build first.

A short description and a link to this thread would work.

ElijahBaley

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 03:46:45 am »

If you are sure you've found a bug, please report it in the thread that announces the build.  Try that build first.

A short description and a link to this thread would work.

Thanks Jim. Have tested and updated as requested.
Pages: [1]   Go Up