INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Media Center Server not showing up within Roku Media Player  (Read 1194 times)

wellywu

• World Citizen

This is going to sound complicated and technical, but please bear with me because I am about to post a lot of information.

I own a mid-2017 AVA Direct gaming desktop PC with a first generation AMD Ryzen 5 1600X desktop processor with a Noctua NH-D9L+NM-AM4 CPU air cooler, ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero AM4 socket with x370 chipset motherboard with EFI firmware revision 6201, an ASUS ROG STRIX AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB HBM2 GPU, 32 GB of DDR4 CL13 Kingston HyperX Savage (4 X 8GB) [13-15-15 timing] at D.O.C.P 2,666.00 MHz DIM RAM, Intel M.2 6000p 512GB PCI-e NVMe x4 SSD, two WD Black 1TB using ASUS RAID-0, one WD Black 6TB, EVGA T2 850 watt 80+ Titanium PSU, LG 27UD58-B 27" 4K UHD IPS 5 ms 60 Hz AMD FreeSync 1 desktop monitor connected via DisplayPort 1.3 (?), LG UH12NS40 Blu-Ray reader and double layer dual format DVD/CD burner, AFT Pro 77u, NZXT Sentry Mesh 5 fan controller, and 4x Corsair AF140 140mm White LED fans with a fifth stock fan in the rear inside a Corsair Carbide 330R Silent Titanium mid-tower desktop PC case. I am running Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1809 with the latest October 2018 patches and updates. I pay for Verizon FiOS Quantum (100 MB/s symmetrical) with a paid Verizon FiOS Quantum Advanced Gateway Router.

I installed Bitdefender Total Security 2019, Malwarebytes Premium 3.6.1, VPNSecure.Me 2.15, NordVPN 6.17.1.60, and VMWare Workstation Pro 15 including the VMNet1 and VMNet 8 network adapters. I can tell you more about installed software applications and products upon request.

I am using JRiver Media Center 24.0.55 64 bit. I followed the easy instructions to install it and I imported my tiny media library and I organized it successfully. I followed the instructions to install, configure and set up the JRiver Media Center Server successfully and I turned on SSL just in case.

I just spent the last few hours researching how to set exceptions to punch holes in Bitdefender, Malwarebytes, Verizon FiOS Quantum Advanced Gateway Router to permit my JRiver Media Center Server to be discoverable on my home LAN.

Cutting to the chase, both my Hisense 40H4C 40" Roku HDTV and Roku Express devices can not find my JRiver Media Center Server named AVADirect using 802.11 AC/B/G/N Wi-Fi.

I have not disabled my VMNet1 or VMNet8 yet; I tried to visit the link to research how it affects older Microsoft Windows desktop operating system versions, but the link is no longer working. I don't know if VMWare is preventing JRiver Media Center Server from being discovered by my Roku devices or not and I would appreciate more insight to figure out if this pinpoints my technical problems.

Can someone help me to make both my Roku devices find my JRiver Media Center Server named AVADirect so I can stream my content to both HDTVs in my apartment successfully? I feel like I am close but no cigar yet. What do I need to know? Thank you.

wellywu

• World Citizen
Re: JRiver Media Center Server not showing up within Roku Media Player
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 07:32:42 pm »

I have some technical questions:

JRiver Media Center 24 Master License 64 bit is installed on my mid-2017 AVA Direct gaming desktop PC and it functions and performs just fine.

1. Do I still need to set exceptions for JRiver Media Center 24 Master License within Microsoft Windows Security, Bitdefender Total Security 2019 and Malwarebytes Premium if it is working correctly or not?

I have to double check, but what I did do was to log into my Verizon FiOS Quantum Advanced Gateway Router and I found the local IP addresses of my mid-2017 AVA Direct gaming desktop PC, Hisense Roku 40" HDTV and Roku Express devices and I copied them down in Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 bit's Notepad and I saved the file on my SSD. Within Bitdefender Total Security 2019, I configured my firewall to set my Ethernet and Ethernet 2 network interface cards to Home/Office and I disabled Bitdefender Stealth settings for both Ethernet and Ethernet 2 NICs. I created two Bitdefender Firewall rules to set them to Home/Office and to allow any protocol, bidirectional or both network traffic and any network ports to target the Custom Remote Addresses of both my Roku devices as listed in my Verizon router. I also added two additional Bitdefender Firewall rules for JRweb.exe, JRworker.exe, MC24.exe and Media Center 24.exe to follow the same guidelines in the Bitdefender Total Security 2019 network exceptions online guide.

For Malwarebytes Premium, I set IP Address exclusions for my Verizon FiOS Quantum Advanced Gateway Router IP address so I can administer it on my PCs as well as for both Roku devices and I set Application Web Process exceptions for JRweb.exe, JRworker.exe, MC24.exe and Media Center 24.exe within the Exclusions tab in Malwarebytes Premium.

For my Verizon FiOS Quantum Advanced Gateway Router, I established network port forwarding for my mid-2017 AVA Direct gaming desktop PC's IP address to punch holes for UDP 1900, TCP 52101, TCP 52100, TCP 52199, TCP 52200 ports.

For Microsoft Windows Security Firewall, I punched holes for incoming network traffic for JRweb.exe, JRworker.exe, MC24.exe and Media Center 24.exe and I double checked to ensure outgoing network traffic is permitted for all JRiver related network ports and services. I made sure that both Private and Public were checked off for network exceptions for JRiver components and ports both incoming and outgoing traffic.

I have not touched VMWare Workstation Pro 15's VMNet1 or VMNet8 yet. I don't know what to do other than a general idea to disable both of them and restart my gaming desktop PC and try to see if my Roku devices will see my JRiver Media Center 24 Server or not again. I have not done this yet so I would appreciate more guidance and free technical support.

Please forgive me for this barrage of technical information, but I want to be as honest and open as possible without revealing specific technical information that would put my devices at higher risk than necessary.

What else do I need to know and to do to get this to work?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 12:21:59 am »

You shouldn't use more than one antivirus program, or even have more than one installed.  Use Windows Defender only.

We can't be your support source for this.  The antivirus program should warn you and you should allow access.

wellywu

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 05:07:54 am »

I am almost finished installing Elementary OS 5.0 "Juno" 64 bit GNU/Linux on my mid-2017 AVA Direct gaming desktop PC and my third-party software packages. JRiver Media Center 24 Master License 64 bit installed and I imported my small private media library and the Media Server is working. I punched the right holes in both my Verizon FiOS Quantum Advanced Gateway Router and Ubuntu Uncomplicated Firewall. I restarted my gaming desktop PC and I ran JRiver Media Center 24 and it continues to work. Though this is not related to Microsoft Windows, the problem is now solved.
Pages: [1]   Go Up