INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why does cover art display sporadically when using DLNA to Oppo 103?  (Read 2793 times)

rippolito

• Junior Woodchuck

I am using JRiver Media Center to send music via DLNA to my Oppo 103.  I have worked out a lot of the kinks, and overall, it sounds outstanding.

The cover art display at the Oppo (via HDMI) is a hit or miss proposition:  sometimes it is there, sometimes it isn't.  It always displays correctly on my imac.

How can I determine the differences between the files that display cover art correctly, and those that do not?

Thank you in advance...
Ron

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Why does cover art display sporadically when using DLNA to Oppo 103?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 04:29:33 pm »

I am using JRiver Media Center to send music via DLNA to my Oppo 103.  I have worked out a lot of the kinks, and overall, it sounds outstanding.

The cover art display at the Oppo (via HDMI) is a hit or miss proposition:  sometimes it is there, sometimes it isn't.  It always displays correctly on my imac.

How can I determine the differences between the files that display cover art correctly, and those that do not?

Thank you in advance...
Ron
If the Oppo is playing the file unconverted and there is covert art in the tags it might be extracting the from the tags.
When the file is being converted there won't be cover art embeded in the converted file, in that case the renderer (your Oppo) is expected to handle the information that MC sends in the DiDL which contains several standard ways of telling the renderer the URL to fetch for the cover art.

rippolito

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 08:34:58 pm »

bob,

This analysis is by no means exhaustive, but...

There seems to be a correlation between how the cover art got associated with the album / track.  Recently, there were many consecutive days when the server that hosts the cover art were down (during and right after the hacking incident).  When I was ripping my CDs during that period, I went to the internet, retrieved a cover image, and assigned it to that album.  I do not believe that these images display correctly on the Oppo display.

After the cover art server came back up, when I ripped a CD, more often than not, MC found the image, retrieved it, and assigned it to that album.  I believe that when this was the case, the image displays correctly on the Oppo display.

Does that make sense?

So now, is there a way that I can go back and make the system work?
Ron

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 01:00:29 am »

You can right click on any file, then choose Cover Art > Get from Internet.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 09:54:14 am »

Also, check to see if the art is embeded in the tags.

Tools->Options->File Location->Cover Art (Also store image in the file's tag)

You can check to see if it is by right-clicking on a track and doing "Tag"

You can make the image go into the track's tags by making sure the cover art option above is set then selecting a track or tracks and  right-click->Library Tools->Update Tags (From Library)

Note that some renderers can only handle cover art in file tags up to a certain size.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 04:31:34 pm »

From my recollection, the Oppo does not download cover art from the album art uri provided in the CDS track meta data. Instead it uses any cover art that is actually embedded in the now playing track. Furthermore if the cover art block is physically embedded in the file before the music stream block then it will display the art before playing the music, whereas if the cover art block is physically after the music stream block then it won’t display the art until it has finished downloading the full file (i.e. not until shortly before the end of the track is being played..)
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

rippolito

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 06:23:29 pm »

Also, check to see if the art is embeded in the tags.

Tools->Options->File Location->Cover Art (Also store image in the file's tag)

You can check to see if it is by right-clicking on a track and doing "Tag"

You can make the image go into the track's tags by making sure the cover art option above is set then selecting a track or tracks and  right-click->Library Tools->Update Tags (From Library)

Note that some renderers can only handle cover art in file tags up to a certain size.

I took your suggestion to use the 'update Tags' command from the Library Tools pulldown, and it mostly works.  I can update flac files, but I cannot update dsf or wav files.  Are there differences in the tags that would preclude updating those types of files?
Ron

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 09:12:51 am »

I took your suggestion to use the 'update Tags' command from the Library Tools pulldown, and it mostly works.  I can update flac files, but I cannot update dsf or wav files.  Are there differences in the tags that would preclude updating those types of files?
Ron

Yes, the  wave file format can't normally be tagged.
There is a wave extension that allows tagging and it's probably on by default in MC but I don't know of any devices that can read those tags.
Not sure about the DSF files but that may be similar.

You could try turning on the feature under DLNA server settings advanced that presents small cover art. This can make it work via the DiDL on some devices which only allow thumbnails for cover art.
If that doesn't work you could try turning on the PS3 in the same location which relaxes some of the same parameters in the DiDL.
Finally you could try turning off DLNAExtra which will eliminate some of the optional methods of supplying cover art in the DiDL.

If none of those work, the only solutions would be to convert those files to a format which supports tags.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 04:29:29 pm »

one of the reasons why I always use FLAC for lossless, has great tag support.
Pages: [1]   Go Up