INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When MC says Failed To Install Plug-In, can it also say why?  (Read 728 times)

MusicHawk

• Citizen of the Universe
When MC says Failed To Install Plug-In, can it also say why?
« on: October 23, 2018, 01:00:04 pm »

When I try to install a plug-in I scrounged up elsewhere, including plug-ins that used to work in earlier MC, MC often just pops up a box declaring "Failed To Install Plug-In". Which leaves me clueless.

Could MC 24 possibly provide more information? Even if it just says a needed file of a certain type or name isn't found, that would be a huge help. Or if a plug-in (often from WinAmp days) lacks something, could MC hazard a guess as to the problem?

Today's example is a VST plug-in called c3multibandcomp_1_2, which I know little about but its claimed capabilities could be useful (multiband compression is the gold standard in studios), if only I could install and test it.

Also, there can be plug-in problems even with those that install OK, including my fave DSP_RockSteady. It had a UI in earlier MC (and WinAmp), but some versions ago that UI disappeared from MC, even though the plug-in still seems to function using its defaults. The original developer (possibly in Italy) has vanished, but RockSteady is still among the best-regarded compressors, haven't seen one that does better, though sure would be nice to get to the UI settings.

In MC I'd happily use "modern" plug-ins, but I'm not finding equivalent alternatives to older plug-ins that provide certain useful results.

For instance, the audio compression provided by RockSteady (and possibly by the multi-band compressor I hoped to try today) does not provide results similar to the Compressor available in MC. Not a surprise, there are many audio compression notions and methods, therefore many types of hardware compressors used in studios (in my radio broadcasting and recording studio days it was a constant discussion). Having a variety of compressors available in MC would be wonderful.

Not trying rant, I'm just hoping for more help from MC than "Failed". Can there be elaboration to diagnose and fix why other/older plug-ins don't work?

PS: I just read a news story that WinAmp Is Back, updated and seeking to regain its throne. The story claims the ancient version is still very popular around the world, providing enormous potential. True? Any impact on JRiver?

Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

Spike1000

Re: When MC says Failed To Install Plug-In, can it also say why?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 02:25:11 am »

64bit MC and 32bit VST?

MC only supports VSTs with the same number of bits as itself.

Spike

MusicHawk

Re: When MC says Failed To Install Plug-In, can it also say why?
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 12:15:15 pm »

MC only supports VSTs with the same number of bits as itself.

Yes, that might well be the cause of a "Failed To Install Plug-In", but it sure would be nice if MC says WHY it Failed. Especially since a user often has little or no info on the internals of a plug-in.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.
Pages: [1]   Go Up