INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does MC require SMBv1 [Solved]  (Read 990 times)

Manfred

• Citizen of the Universe
Does MC require SMBv1 [Solved]
« on: October 24, 2018, 04:40:49 pm »

After a serious Win 10 Crash with the latest Win 10 Update, I had to restore Win to a previous backup point. I did a new install of MC and restored the library from my backup.
The server under Networks is no longer seen. Network= Private. Network Discovery= on.

I have two media renderers:
Server->MR (Living Room) | The one who does not seen the server under networks in the explorer
Server->MR (Office) | No Problem

Does MC require SMBv1?

How can I see my Server and the drives on the server if no SMBv1 is installed?
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: Does MC require SMBv1
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 04:46:52 pm »

MC does not use such low level functionality. It uses SSDP for discovering DLNA servers and other Media Center instances, and it uses OS-provided functions to access file shares, if appropriate.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Manfred

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 04:51:55 pm »

Ok.

If I use M:\....\*.mkv in MC and I can not map the drive on my media renderer or it does't show up does it then create a problem?
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

swiv3d

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 05:05:28 pm »

It might be worthwhile going to settings>network and running the network troubleshooter.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 05:43:14 pm »

If you use "M:" in your MC Library, and M: was previously a mapped drive, but you can't map that drive now, then MC won't work.

I think you saw this thread that discusses how to mapped drives without SMBv1: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114852.0.html

But MC doesn't need SMBv1 for Clients to see the Server, and visa versa, as Hendrik says.

Also, the Client doesn't need to see the M: drive in order to play. The Server does. However, if you are using the setting "Play local file if one that matches Library Server file is found", that functionality won't work unless your Renderer can also see the M: drive.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Manfred

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 10:22:56 am »

RoderickGI: Thank you very much!

I did not see the thread but I googled the internet. Got my network shares back.

But after a Windows 10 monthly upgrade do the "Function Discovery Provider Host" and "Function Discovery Resource Publication" services to a Startup Type of Automatic (Delayed Start) stay at automatic?

It is definitely a workaround and not a user friendly Microsoft solution.

Video is back in MC and working.  :)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Re: Does MC require SMBv1 [Solved]
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 11:00:46 am »

I'm finding that in every new install of Win 10 Pro 64 bit that I do, the Windows feature SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support is turned off as a default. Very frustrating when trying to see drives/shares on your network until you remember to go into Programs and Features to turn it on. The better option is to migrate all connected devices to newer standards instead of continuing to rely on an insecure version.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 11:12:50 am »

Do remember that SMBv1 is riddled with security issues. They are not turning it off willy-nilly. The better option is to migrate all devices to newer version of the protocol, instead of just re-enabling it forever and ignoring that fact.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 11:18:17 am »

Do remember that SMBv1 is riddled with security issues. They are not turning it off willy-nilly. The better option is to migrate all devices to newer version of the protocol, instead of just re-enabling it forever and ignoring that fact.

Thanks for that information.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 05:32:33 pm »

But after a Windows 10 monthly upgrade do the "Function Discovery Provider Host" and "Function Discovery Resource Publication" services to a Startup Type of Automatic (Delayed Start) stay at automatic?

They have switched to Automatic without the delayed start for me, but everything still works fine. I guess the delayed start isn't necessary for my environment.

Thanks for that information.

;D ;D Cheeky. Almost word for word!  8)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 06:05:15 pm »

;D ;D Cheeky. Almost word for word!  8)

I was being sincere.  ? ?
One of my rare serious moments

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 07:14:10 pm »

I was being sincere.  ? ?
One of my rare serious moments

Oh! Sorry then. It just that I read this;

The better option is to migrate all connected devices to newer standards instead of continuing to rely on an insecure version.

and then this;
The better option is to migrate all devices to newer version of the protocol, instead of just re-enabling it forever and ignoring that fact.

and I thought some cheek was involved. But a bit of cheek is fine by me.  :D

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 07:43:13 pm »

Mine was a direct quote - Hendrik (or someone else?) must've edited it after I quoted it.
Makes sense now. I didn't know the original was now different.
Pages: [1]   Go Up