INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CTRL + E no longer selects existing text in Search Box?  (Read 630 times)

scm

• World Citizen
CTRL + E no longer selects existing text in Search Box?
« on: November 15, 2018, 12:31:56 am »

Is this something new in Version 24?

In previous versions I have used, CTRL + E is something I use very often and I'm used to it selecting all the text in the search box if I had already had some text in there from a previous search.

Now it seems that CTRL + E puts the cursor at the beginning of whatever text is in there.  This is less convenient because very often I'm using CTRL + E to perform a new search, so the fact that it selects all the text allows me to simply start typing my new search and it replaces what was there.

Now that it puts the cursor at the beginning, first of all, I have to unlearn my previous habit, but it also seems like a bad change.  It adds a step and keystrokes.  Now I have to type CTRL + E, then CTRL + A to select all the text (or hold down the delete button until the text is erased one letter at a time), and THEN type my new search.

Does anyone else agree that this is less efficient?  Or is my version just suffering a glitch?  Or is there some reason I haven't thought of that makes this actually a step forward?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: CTRL + E no longer selects existing text in Search Box?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 03:33:41 pm »

What version specifically are you using? i.e. MC24.0.62?

In what version did you first notice that happening?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 03:37:29 pm »

It's putting the cursor at the end of the search text for me.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

scm

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 03:42:11 pm »

RoderickGI:

I'm using version 24.0.60

I recently upgraded my license to 24 from version 20.  I had also installed trial versions of 22 and 23 and didn't notice it then.

And Matt, I just tested it and noticed when I am pushing CTRL + E from a library view (for example my audio or video files) it puts it at the beginning of the search field, however, if I do it from a Playing Now window, it puts the cursor at the end.

Either way, isn't it preferable to have it work the way it was by selecting all text in the search box?  Otherwise it defeats the purpose of the CTRL + E convenience of the keyboard shortcut.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 03:51:44 pm »

It's putting the cursor at the end of the search text for me.

That's what it was doing for me as well, until I highlighted the text, then left the Search field (clicked in the body of MC), and then pressed Ctrl+E. The cursor then went back to the Search field and highlighted (selected) the text again.

Same situation if I put the cursor at the beginning of the text, or in any position in the text. Ctrl+E returns the cursor to the same position and condition.

So it seems that Ctrl+E takes the cursor back into the Search field in the same position, selected or not, as when it left the Search field. I don't know if this is a change in functionality or just the way it always worked.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

scm

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 04:06:30 pm »

Hey you're right.  It seems to return to whatever the previous selected state was.  If I selected all the text from a 4 letter search, then go to a different tab where I have a 10 letter word in the search box, and push CTRL + E, it will select the first 4 letters of the 10 letter word.

This is definitely NOT the way it used to work.  It used to always select all.  Does anyone else feel this is preferable?  Can we request that it always selects all so that there is some consistency?
Pages: [1]   Go Up