INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: re-rip keeping tags..  (Read 590 times)

pamillet

• Recent member
re-rip keeping tags..
« on: December 02, 2018, 12:35:41 pm »

issue already discussed, for example with this post...

I would like to request that an easy "rerip" feature be added for ripping CD's. I ripped my collection ages ago as MP3 and I know want to rerip the whole thing as flac, without losing the tags I've added over the years, # of plays, rating, etc.

I found a process that works by searching this forum, however it has about 8 steps, prone to error and tedious. Adding the ability to rerip a collection would be a welcome addition.

I understand the 8 steps procedure, and i appreciate the high capacity of MC to manage library, files names and tags...

But, for 2 or 3000 CD actually ripped in mp3/128kbs, this manual 8-steps procedure to re-rip in flac/192kbs keeping tags is not realistic...

As proposed many times last years, a "re-rip" functionnality" is really necessary...

a short description could be "selection of an existing album when ripping a CD", and "re-rip action on an existing album looking to loaded CD..."

I did not find an answer on the feasabiilty, nor on the jriver decision to include or not...

best regards and thanks for this very useful application

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: re-rip keeping tags..
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 02:39:49 am »

Re-rip and copy the all tags from the MP3 files to the new files of the new format using MP3Tag? It can handle bulk copies, automation etc etc?

Spike

MusicHawk

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 12:28:21 pm »

It is a real need, but how-to gets messy. Long ago, a method was suggested but apparently is still a wish...

Select a database record in MC library, choose the wished-for option "Replace file, retain tags", manually locate and choose the new file, and MC would automatically copy all user tags into it, and then update the library to point to the new file.

Not a  mass/batch process, because of the need to select each replacement file, but reduces the manual steps and does all the tag actions within MC.

A mass/batch process likely would involve something like giving all the new files the same names as the old files, then pointing to that folder, so MC knows what to do with what. Or perhaps naming new files the same as old files but with a special prefix or suffix, so they can be in the same folder as the old files. MC might process all the new files beginning with _NEW_, and leave behind all the old files renamed as _OLD_

Lots of ways to imagine this. But however it gets done, an MC built-in way to update files while preserving tags, with the fewest steps, would be a wonderful thing. Though, it's worth considering what can go wrong...

PS: I'm saying "files" rather than audio or rips or whatever, because this same file-update capability would be useful with video and image files too.

PPS: Seems like doing a true audio CD re-rip, existing MC library files replaced directly from the rip, would need to be user-steered, track-by-track, how else would MC know what to do? CD tracks are not named on the CD, so unless it is assumed that MC's database already has exactly the same entire CD, with correct track numbers, a hands-off process could be a train wreck.

This has been discussed at times over the years, as many of us realized our early rips no longer do justice to our sources, but also realizing it's a huge job to update them. It would be helpful if someone at JR could say whether doing anything along these lines would be considered, so we can either pile on or disperse...
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 12:32:10 pm »

It is a real need, but how-to gets messy. Long ago, a method was suggested but apparently is still a wish...

Select a database record in MC library, choose the wished-for option "Replace file, retain tags", manually locate and choose the new file, and MC would automatically copy all user tags into it, and then update the library to point to the new file.

This is possible using the RM&C tool by selecting "Update database to point to new location."

pamillet

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 02:32:56 pm »

Yes this has been discussed many times over the years
but the issue is stille open for me, and the requirment is clear...

You have a CD ripped and tagged... the file names have perhaps been changed after ripping using tags...
but you want to rerip the same CD... So you can select it and the key to identify files is the track number..
so you replace track per track, changing the files content, keeping tags and... files names!

Hoping someone at JR could say something...

pam
Pages: [1]   Go Up