INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to create view with Artist names as search terms  (Read 930 times)

Mike Foran

• World Citizen
Trying to create view with Artist names as search terms
« on: December 05, 2018, 11:15:42 am »

I am trying to create a view that let's me select names by 'Artist,' but when selected feeds that tag into a keyword search and gives back all answers. So, for instance, in one pane I would select 'Peter Gabriel' from a list generated by 'Artist,' but in a pane below it would list every song that had Peter Gabriel in *any* tag, not just 'Artist' as if I had manually typed the name into the 'Search' bar. So it would return solo work, songs from early Genesis (assuming his name were listed under 'Musicians') or other collaborations he has done, or even songs that list him as producer. Is this possible?

Mike Foran

• World Citizen
Re: Trying to create view with Artist names as search terms
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 08:46:17 am »

Ok, I think the answer to my last question is "no." How about this: Can I make a smart playlist where one of the filter rules is "Search" and which will create a playlist based on all search results? I know I can manually create filters for any metadata tag and bracket them for 'or' comparisons, but I'm really interested in something more dynamic that will return results even if the search term is in a tag I didn't expect.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 09:12:13 am »

Play Doctor?

Mike Foran

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 10:16:21 am »

Play Doctor is cool, but not really what I'm thinking of here. Play Doctor includes results that aren't literally in the search parameters. And the results also can't be channeled into a playlist or view.

I guess the crux of what I'm asking is to be able to create a filter that acts like 'Search' and returns any tag with that value. So something like:

[Search] = "Peter Gabriel"

would return any media with "Peter Gabriel" in any field. Once that exists it could be used in any playlist or view and combined with other filters if needed. Right now I have:

([Artist]="Peter Gabriel" or [Album Artist (auto)]="Peter Gabriel" or [Band]="Peter Gabriel" or [Musicians]="Peter Gabriel" or [Featuring]="Peter Gabriel" or [Actors]="Peter Gabriel" or [Author]="Peter Gabriel" or [Director]="Peter Gabriel" or [Lyricist]="Peter Gabriel" or [Composer]="Peter Gabriel" or [Conductor]="Peter Gabriel" or [Soloists]="Peter Gabriel") ~sort=[Rating]-d,[Album],[Media Type],[Album Artist (auto)],[Disc #],[Track #],[Name]

and this only encompasses the fields I can imagine. His name might appear in a custom field and that wouldn't appear in this list. Also, it's extremely unwieldy to create this filter.

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 10:20:18 am »

Not sure if you can automate play doctor playlists (I've never tried), but they certainly produce interesting and dynamic play lists  :)

My only gripe is that it ignores the 'remove duplicates' instruction so will include exactly the same song over and over within a list. I do tend to seed it with one track and it works 'better' if a number of tracks are used as seeds, but that doesn't excuse it from ignoring the instruction with a low seed count.

Spike

4 jumping cats

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 03:45:33 pm »

Try [Media Type]=[Audio] ~matches=[Artist]

Mike Foran

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 10:34:48 am »

Try [Media Type]=[Audio] ~matches=[Artist]

Thanks, but I'm a bit confused as to how this works. Can you give me an example?

4 jumping cats

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 05:58:48 pm »

Put it into a smartlist to see if it does what you want.
Pages: [1]   Go Up