INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA>Wlan no 96khz with JRiver - with iTunes via Airplay works  (Read 1025 times)

totomacma

DLNA>Wlan no 96khz with JRiver - with iTunes via Airplay works
« on: December 13, 2018, 12:58:20 pm »

My Hard-/Soft-Ware: MacBook Air 13 (2013), Mac OS 10.11.6, Active loudspeaker Kef X300a wireless, WLAN & Airplay, new license JRiver Mediacenter 24.0.64.

At first: Hello
Have the JRiver license only for 2 weeks, so I'm newbie here, but in reality an old dog. (60)
I've looked after and repaired Apple Computer for 18 years, but that's already 13 years ago - but I'm always young in spirit (that's what all the old jerks say) and still very persistent in debugging the PC / Mac.

PROBLEM: DLNA>Wlan no 96khz with JRiver - with itunes via Airplay works without any problem

Have already tried the following:
1. all 3 DLNA Controller options in different combinations (= ignore transport events - use polling mode / ignore set-next support / get-position errors)
2. DNLA LIBRARY SERVER: All PCM modes (16 / 24bit with / without header)
Only if I set in DNLA LIBRARY SERVER: PCM (16 or 24bit does not matter) and AUDIO> ADVANCED SETTINGS> DSP-STUDIO everything over 48khz put on 48khz, then it works of course. But I would like to listen to the 96khz signal without any falsification .....

In the absence of final words I'll let the BEATLES speak:
Help me if you can, I'm feeling down
And I do appreciate you being 'round
Help me get my feet back on the ground
Will not you please, please help me?
LE VENT NOUS PORTERA (sometimes not)

At the beginning: My English is poor - use Google Translate. (60 yr old ...., oh no, young :-)) In the last 40 years I did not have much opportunity to use English. Therefore, excuse some linguistic oddities.
Hard-/Software: Macbook Air 13 (2013), MAC OS 10.11.6, different DACs, JRiver 24, iTunes, Serviio.
Smartphone LG G4, with Gimp, Bubbleupnp

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: DLNA>Wlan no 96khz with JRiver - with iTunes via Airplay works
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 02:36:42 am »

AirPlay does not support high resolution audio; iTunes must be resampling it. In fact, I believe most newer AirPlay devices now resample from a 44.1 kHz input to 48 kHz on playback.
"High Resolution" audio is a scam anyway. You cannot hear anything over ~20 kHz, and at your age it's likely well below 15 kHz.
44.1 kHz alone covers the entire range of human hearing. 48 kHz is prevalent in video mostly because it makes certain things easier (with movies being shot at 24 FPS).

totomacma

Re: DLNA>Wlan no 96khz with JRiver - with iTunes via Airplay works
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 03:35:17 pm »

At first: Thanks for the answer.
Second: I am a german and my English skills are poor - I use "Google translate", so please excuse some oddities - at least, those who are not in my personality, but in the translated. ;D

Well, there you are in principle right, but not in detail - I did not think of the possibility that iTunes down sampled.
I also think nothing of hi-fi voodoo, cable sound is nonsense, (with neatly clean wiring (connection values!) It makes no difference whether I use 10/20Euro cable or 1000Euro cable.
Similarly, the difference between amplifiers is negligible, 1. as long as the amplifier is not sounded and 2. the amplifier has the loudspeaker under control - with my previous Elektostat Acoustat 2200 (overhauled) with 1.5ohm minimum, violent phase rotations and efficiency of about 80db it's no wonder that most amplifiers could not cope with that.

(Incidentally, the power amplifiers from the Harman Kardon Festival 500 system did it without any problem - more than little high volume on the electrostatics - if you are looking for a very good, absolutely stable, cheap, excellent little power amp: Harman Kardon Festival 500 (2x 60Watt) with the festival Preamplifier - if you want to use the power amp solo or on another preamplifier, you need to rewire a small bridge in the power amp (> Internet) - You almost get knocked over by the Festival 500 systems.)

BUT: Even if I only listen to 12khz (60 years old), I have the experience that I hear resample, partly much worse (with JRiver 48 / 96khz upsample> 384khz = horrible - much worse (Cable DAC, Aune S1 and the same with other Douc audio)
Other resample rates - down or up - I hear synonymous (some minor differences)
When I listened to CD in the 90s, everyone was enthusiastic about CD ...... I did not, or only with restrictions.
Solo instruments, voices, sparse instrumentation was partly fantastic with CD, partly better than with LP.
But as soon as it became more complex - big orchestra, many instruments and even more, if it was still loud - broke the sound literally together: my system sounded 2-3 "classes" worse.
All in all, listening to LP was better for me because it was more balanced.
From 2003 to 2016 I could not hear or compare hifi anymore. Have again a turntable Thorens TD160, My LPs have to be washed but first .......

Long story, short sense: I would like to send with JRiver 96khz or more via Wlan/DLNA.
BUT it can also be, that the Kef X300a wireless is only able 96khz on cable, and not on wifi/Wlan - I have found no information in the WEB. I will ask Kef.
LE VENT NOUS PORTERA (sometimes not)

At the beginning: My English is poor - use Google Translate. (60 yr old ...., oh no, young :-)) In the last 40 years I did not have much opportunity to use English. Therefore, excuse some linguistic oddities.
Hard-/Software: Macbook Air 13 (2013), MAC OS 10.11.6, different DACs, JRiver 24, iTunes, Serviio.
Smartphone LG G4, with Gimp, Bubbleupnp
Pages: [1]   Go Up