INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC24 not recognizing blank disks for burning  (Read 1087 times)

jeh14

• Junior Woodchuck
MC24 not recognizing blank disks for burning
« on: December 17, 2018, 07:14:27 pm »

I'm having a problem with burning in MC24.

I tried to burn an audio CD and JRiver wouldn't recognize that there's a blank disk in the drive. I tried this on two different machines (one laptop, one "deskside") and with a couple of different types of blanks, including Taiyo-Yuden (among the best) and good old Memorex (the less said, the better). All got the same result. "There is no disk. Insert a disc and double-click here to refresh."

Windows Media Player has no problem burning on both machines.

Ripping with MC works fine.

swiv3d

Re: MC24 not recognizing blank disks for burning
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 04:32:52 pm »

I am using MC 24.0.68 and have just burned an audio CD using a Verbatim 12x CD-RW as a test. Am now playing it back to check that everything is working as it should. You should have a look at the Burning settings in options to see if anything there is ticked when it shouldn't be.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 05:01:33 pm »

Or some antivirus program is working overtime on your behalf.

jeh14

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 12:42:48 am »

I can't see anything in the Burning Options, or anywhere else, that would cause this.

The only AV I use is stock Windows Defender.  I tried disabling it - no help. (Why would an AV prevent a program from recognizing a blank disk, anyway? It's not as if it can contain malware.)

I even tried running MC as admin - no help.

This is Windows 10, 1803 release, 64-bit.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 02:14:06 am »

The disc burning functions in MC are very simple, but it works.

Sure, it doesn't seem to check the disc format, or if there is enough space to burn what you have selected. Maybe it would warn me if I tried to burn more than would fit. I don't know, because I have never tried.

Ignore the "There is no disk. Insert a disc and double-click here to refresh" message. Add the tracks you want to burn to the disc, check the settings, and burn the disc. Ignore a similar message in the "Drive & Devices > Audio CD" area, if you see them. It will work.

MC does actually recognise there is a blank disc in the drive, and labels the tab you are using to view it appropriately. Have a look at the second attached image, and the big arrow I out on it.

Note that Windows 10 may ask you how you want to handle the blank disc when you insert it, as per the attached image. I think you can just ignore that, and Cancel out of it, but I selected the second option just in case, and Windows seems to have remembered my choice, so it will treat the disc correctly as a disc to be burned and closed, rather than treating it like a USB drive. That could be your issue, if MC won't actually burn the disc when you try.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 04:03:50 am »

I have not used MC to burn a cd since MC18 but I seem to remember it did tell you how much space was left or something similar, I think it was at the bottom of MC and as long as you had all the tracks highlighted. I also remember it was much easier to make a empty playlist, I called it burning. put your tracks in a playlist organized how you want them on the disc....(this is where some place you could see how much space was going to be used and how much was left.) drag the playlist to the burn area and create your disc.
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”
Pages: [1]   Go Up