INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Distortion + Screeching with certain 44.1k WMA lossless files  (Read 706 times)

dmance

• Recent member
Distortion + Screeching with certain 44.1k WMA lossless files
« on: December 22, 2018, 11:39:56 pm »

i have MC 22 & 24. 24 has latest download. windows 10.  i have a set of wma audio files that i am sure played fine 6 months ago ...but now its sounds like clipping or digital errors.  local file, local laptop audio playback. The files play FINE with Groove or old Windows Media Player. ive tried lots to resolve this.  anyone else have anything similar??

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Distortion + Screeching with certain 44.1k WMA lossless files
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 05:56:26 am »

Please try 24.0.71, available at the top of this board.

dmance

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 10:31:56 am »

Exact same behavior with 24.0.71.  But two clues: 
- I have an install of MC22 on a WindowsServer2012 machine ...and that works fine!  To confirm, i used that machine to 'Convert' to FLAC and the result plays fine on any player - on the Server2012 machine and all my Window10 machines.
- Also, VLC, Groove and old Windows Media Player all exhibit the problem randomly.  Yes, depending on the time of day, reboot cycle, etc.  This drove me nuts. I tried other tools - even microsoft's old expression encoder from 2010 ...same proboem.    But the common thread is that all Windows10 machines exhibit the problem...just that MC22/24 was 100% consistent. 

here is a dropbox to a file that exhibits the problem 100% of the time on a windows10 machine...https://www.dropbox.com/s/pkpj86yyv7y3ys5/04-Let%20It%20Rain.wma?dl=0
So this is definitely a microsoft Win10 WMA decoder problem!!
For now - I will play it safe and convert all my WMA lossless to FLAC using my Server2012 machine!
Dan

dmance

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 10:39:40 am »

Jim, I've tracked it down to about 50 wma's out of about 1000 that were bulk converted by MC22 from FLAC or wav to wma lossless.  Those have the distortion problem.  So its a subtle corruption in the file that comes and goes
..but always exhibits with MC under Windows 10.
I'm all converted to FLAC now anyhow.
Dan

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 08:49:11 am »

I'm glad your problem seems to be solved.

This is yet another case where Microsoft's 'standards' don't seem to be standard in any way.  I would avoid WMA in all forms if at all possible.  Just my opinion.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up