INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to start?  (Read 1112 times)

Awooof77

• Recent member
Where to start?
« on: December 25, 2018, 03:56:27 pm »

I'm new to this type of interaction so forgive my ignorance.
I purchased a music server in January 2017 from a small entrepreneur. The music server is basic computer I have running Windows 10, 64 bit.
The player is JRiver Media Center 22. As I understand this site, JRiver Media Center now is at Version 24.
I am seeking to upgrade to Version 24 and will pay upgrade costs. It appears if you have valid license the upgrade cost is much less?
The music server I purchased was "used" trade-in. May be licensed under another name?
The entrepreneur I purchased from sent me a string of letters to use to identify my JRiver Media Center as valid license. I've not tried upgrading yet.
Is there a contact at JRiver to ask this question so I do not have to read through 75 FAQ's trying to find similar question or should I just try upgrade and see what happens?
I don't want to risk losing my music 5200 song library stored in JRiver Media Center due to my ignorance of upgrade or even if I'm eligible. I did do a backup just in case.
Thank you for you help.

Awooof

swiv3d

Re: Where to start?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 04:51:08 pm »

You would have to purchase a brand new version of the program. You secondhand version will be registered to some other person and any details required for the upgrade process would be sent to their email address.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 07:19:45 pm »

My understanding generally concurs with swiv3d, although I believe (but may be wrong) that licence transfer is possible. I thought I read on the forum somewhere that you can reassign the licence details to a new email address by suitable request to the JRiver team.

That way when a licence restore is actioned, the automated process for sending out a new .mjr file will then go to the correct address.

Awooof77, if you don't get this when you perform a licence restore, then the "entrepreneur" you're referring to has sold you short.

If you go for a licence upgrade, the licence server will need to have your email on file. Otherwise, you'll be viewed as a new user and be subject to paying full price.

If I'm mistaken with the details, I'm sure that there'll be someone with better knowledge to clear up the finer points of how these things work.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Awooof77

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 07:21:03 pm »

Will purchasing a new version ($59.95) as you stated automatically transfer my 5200 song music library or do I need to cut/paste?

Thanks

Awooof77

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 07:23:16 pm »

Thank you Astromo. I may just purchase new once I figure transfer process.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 09:47:45 pm »

Will purchasing a new version ($59.95) as you stated automatically transfer my 5200 song music library or do I need to cut/paste?

Thanks

Prior to upgrading, it's always wise to do a library backup and file it in a place that you can easily locate. The standard install process should automatically locate the previous version library and copy it across, so not only the details of the files in your library are retained but your existing settings are retained as well.

If there's a glitch during the update, then you can always restore the library backup filed separately.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2018, 10:59:15 pm »

If you have a license, it may well be transferable. I would wait for the JRiver team to look at your current license situation and respond. They are off this week, so may not respond immediately. But, they are usually pretty responsive to license situations.

No matter what the license situation is, you will not loose your music files and it is highly unlikely you will loose any our data.

Wait for JimH (the CEO) or someone from JRiver to respond and give you guidance.  I am sure they will get you through this transition.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 06:00:54 am »

You could try using the license when you upgrade.  Here's how:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114521.0.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up