INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can this be done?  Moving music to anothe  (Read 1010 times)

molarman

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Smiling Increases Your Face Value
How can this be done?  Moving music to anothe
« on: May 25, 2003, 10:13:21 am »

I do all my ripping on my PC at home (via MC9) and obviously have a MP3 database at home.  I have a copy of my MP3's at my office as well, which I periodically update to include any recently ripped CD's which were created at home.  I do this by just copying all of my MP3's at home to a portable hard drive and then copy these to the PC at the office.

Some of these songs are not relly appropratie for a dental office, and as such I do not want these to play there (but they are still a part of the MC9 libraray).  Excluding these songs is easily done in MC9 by creating a note or simialr tag and then creating a smartlist that will exclude these songs.  I make these tag changes at the office and as such that note is not present in my database at home.

Here's the rub.  Then next time I want to move any newly ripped MP3's to the office, the file at the office will be overwritten (it is much easier to move the whole MP3 database rather than locate only the new songs) and  will no longer contain in its tag the identifier to exclude that song from playing at the office.

Any ideas on how I can solve this problem either with MC9 or otherwise?

Deivit

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I find your interest interesting...
Re: How can this be done?  Moving music to anothe
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2003, 12:23:50 pm »

Just a thought... if the file paths are the same at home and in the office perhaps you could backup your home library as well as the tracks and restore it at the office... this way the database-only tags will not get lost on the way.Then you can have office smartlists and home smartlists and play them in the proper location.
---
Listening to: 'Ash Wednesday' from 'Tour De Force' by 'Bola Sete' on Media Center 9.0

nila

Re: How can this be done?  Moving music to anothe
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2003, 04:24:07 am »

wouldn't this work:

each time u copy songs to ur hard drive u send them to a playlist called: already copied

create a tree to exclude this playlist.
That way all the files in that tree are just the new ones.

Then just copy these to the hard drive using MC and that way u only get new files :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up