INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Too Easy V -- Things we should have done because they were so simple  (Read 40742 times)

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Too Easy V -- Things we should have done because they were so simple
« Reply #200 on: April 03, 2019, 04:27:45 pm »

Now that close captions/subtitles work for OTA broadcasts, the settings television option for enabling captions by default should enable them. Right now, the checkbox says "works for analog channels only".
Either make a separate checkbox for analog and digital brodcasts, or change it to a single checkbox that work with both.

Implemented in build 18.

Keyboard Hotkey to toggle captions / subtitles during video playback .
This should work DVD/Blu-ray and OTA broadcasts as well. It should toggle between off / CC1 / CC2 / etc.

This is to allow easier setting of captions with an IR remote. While the OSD works, it takes time to wade through the OSD menus with a remote just to toggle captions.
The IR receiver - an iMon receiver built in to my HTPC case - isn't supported directly by JRiver. But it has great software that lets me map IR functions to any combination of keystrokes. This would work fine if MediaCenter had a hotkey combo for setting captions.

Next build (build 19 - not available to public yet):
7. NEW: MCCommand MCC_PLAYBACK_ENGINE_SET_SUBTITLES (28032) will now work on TV playback as well.
8. NEW: Keyboard shortcut "Alt C" for toggling Closed Captioning/Subtitling.

Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #201 on: April 04, 2019, 08:39:46 am »

-When the audio output device is set to "exclusive" mode and playback is paused, release the device. This frustrates me at least once a day when I try to play a Youtube video and there's no sound because JRiver has locked the device even though it's not playing anything (it's paused).

Split Exclusive Mode Problems

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #202 on: April 04, 2019, 10:52:56 am »

Please don't start or continue discussions in this thread.  It's meant to be a list.  Start a new topic for anything requiring discussion.

Split Bookmarks in Long Audio Files

JonnyRedHed

• World Citizen
« Reply #203 on: April 04, 2019, 01:55:50 pm »

Car radio play list change.  When changing car radio playlist it would be nice to have an option to not play the first top track in the list but to rather scroll down to the last played track.  Default as is now, but with option in settings to make it scroll to last played file. 

I know it would make things smoother for me, maybe others as well.
Namaste - 'bows slightly with hands pressed together, palms touching'

JonnyRedHed

• World Citizen
« Reply #204 on: April 04, 2019, 02:17:06 pm »

Option, 'Also store the image in the file's tag'

Maybe a prompt (tip bubble) whilst in the tagging section and hovering over the cover art that you can embed the cover by turning on that option. And a quick link direct to the check box in the options/file location section.

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi
« Reply #205 on: April 04, 2019, 03:48:50 pm »

Here is a what must be a truly easy request to fill.

On the reporter, add commas to the numbers.  My report currently returns:

Total files: 199581
    Audio files: 149136
    Image files: 20589
    Video files: 29701

It would be so nice if it returned:

Total files: 199,581
    Audio files: 149,136
    Image files: 20,589
    Video files: 29,701

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #206 on: April 04, 2019, 06:09:06 pm »

Here is a what must be a truly easy request to fill.

On the reporter, add commas to the numbers.  My report currently returns:

Total files: 199581
    Audio files: 149136
    Image files: 20589
    Video files: 29701

It would be so nice if it returned:

Total files: 199,581
    Audio files: 149,136
    Image files: 20,589
    Video files: 29,701

I think you might get the prize for the easiest!  I'll get this tomorrow.  Thanks!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

madbrain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #207 on: April 04, 2019, 08:50:10 pm »

Implemented in build 18.

Next build:
7. NEW: MCCommand MCC_PLAYBACK_ENGINE_SET_SUBTITLES (28032) will now work on TV playback as well.
8. NEW: Keyboard shortcut "Alt C" for toggling Closed Captioning/Subtitling.

Thank you very much ! I will give it a try tonight.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #208 on: April 05, 2019, 09:59:55 am »

Option, 'Also store the image in the file's tag'

Maybe a prompt (tip bubble) whilst in the tagging section and hovering over the cover art that you can embed the cover by turning on that option. And a quick link direct to the check box in the options/file location section.

Next build:
Changed: The tooltip for an image in the Tag Action Window will explain that the image can be saved internally by enabling the option if the art is saved externally.

JonnyRedHed

• World Citizen
« Reply #209 on: April 05, 2019, 11:21:32 am »

Next build:
Changed: The tooltip for an image in the Tag Action Window will explain that the image can be saved internally by enabling the option if the art is saved externally.

Great, thanks.

JonnyRedHed

• World Citizen
« Reply #210 on: April 06, 2019, 09:38:29 am »

Whilst listening to one album/track etc, adding other new albums/files to the same playlist and editing the tags in the tag section.

I notice it does not return to the current playing track when I deselect the new albums I'd just been tagging.  Maybe MC could revert to currently playing track tags automatically once the new albums/tracks/files have been deselected.  Or/also at the top of the tagging section a button 'Revert to current playing track/file'.

It could also scroll the play list (car radio for me) back to the currently playing track when one presses this button ^

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi
« Reply #211 on: April 06, 2019, 04:39:38 pm »

This may already be possible but I've been searching and coming up empty.  Maybe there is a technical limitation as to why we don't already have this.

I'd like a url field for standard view that gives you a clickable link (Ideally with the option of where to open it, external browser or internal browser).  This would be great for linking to artists home pages, linking to movie home pages, linking the artists Last.fm page, linking to a films trailer, TV shows discussion board, reddit page, etc.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #212 on: April 06, 2019, 05:35:34 pm »

This may already be possible but I've been searching and coming up empty.  Maybe there is a technical limitation as to why we don't already have this.

I'd like a url field for standard view that gives you a clickable link (Ideally with the option of where to open it, external browser or internal browser).  This would be great for linking to artists home pages, linking to movie home pages, linking the artists Last.fm page, linking to a films trailer, TV shows discussion board, reddit page, etc.

It exists. Manage Links. Start a new thread and ask. No discussion here.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #213 on: April 08, 2019, 04:59:08 am »

I'm sure there was some discussion that if there was an image in the buffer then MC would offer it as an option in the 'get from internet' section for TV shows and Video. Quite a few new TV shows don't have season art but do have series art.

Much quicker and simpler for users. Less chance of something getting broken, or files being named incorrectly, etc. Clipboard art could be shown below the "Your Library" art for easy selection.

Ross

audioriver

« Reply #214 on: April 09, 2019, 10:35:37 am »

Audio path window: when Equalizer is enabled you could also display the Preset in use.
Windows 10 Pro x64

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #215 on: April 16, 2019, 04:18:02 pm »

I know this takes under an hour because I just did it myself :)

I notice that Panel a) uses react, b) can be relatively slow to load because certain views cause it to hit the server for a large number of requests (e.g. 5.5s over the LAN for my audio > artists view)

In comparison, over the same network and against the same library, the same view in my own app (which also uses react) takes <100ms to load because I wrapped that component in an InfiniteLoader from https://github.com/bvaughn/react-virtualized

v little code to write + much faster loading times has to be a good thing

tunetyme

• Galactic Citizen
  • Have tunes will travel
« Reply #216 on: April 22, 2019, 05:56:06 pm »

I have an extensive media collection of 14+ TB. It is essential to carefully maintain all your files. It is set up in a simple tree of Genre (Jazz, Rock,etc) Artist, Album. These are a few suggestions to help with file management.

1. Importing:  I know what I have imported with the recently imported list. What would be helpful is the list (separate from successful imports) of files that were not imported. There have been times when a file name was incorrectly formatted or some junk files from ripping that I really don't need to store. That way I can clean it up at the outset.

2. For the album folders that are many, many years old there are numerous JPEG (gif, png, etc) files with all kinds of different names. It appears that MC has standardized on "Folder" for the album cover file name when stored in the album folder.  Folder works great for me. The problem is cleaning up all the historical files.

Suggestion one: After importing, a list is produced of all the files imported and at the end those that were not. You create a "recently imported list as well where you can do a lot of initial editing on the tags. It would also be helpful to have the exceptions list in a similar format. That would give me edit capability in the case of an error in the file name or the ability to delete junk files.

Suggestion two: It appears the MC has standardized on "Folder" for cover art that is stored within the album folder. When MC takes an non "Folder" named JPEG from within the album folder it would be helpful if it used the rename function instead of copy. I have many, many cover art files files that are not named Folder. A "smartlist" that provides a list of all non music files (or video) where the user has access to delete, rename, copy or any other appropriate editing tool would allow for cleaning up the mess. (Sorted by album name)

Another benefit besides freeing up space is for backups. I have physical backups for all my drives and a quick way to check if your backup is current, is to check the number files and folders. If they are the same you are good to go. (with a very high probability that they are exact duplicates)

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #217 on: April 23, 2019, 03:06:43 am »

Could we get a Delete option on the Conversion presets?  I've started accumulating stale entries that I'd like to remove...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #218 on: April 23, 2019, 07:47:28 am »

Could we get a Delete option on the Conversion presets?  I've started accumulating stale entries that I'd like to remove...

Good idea.

Coming next build:
NEW: Added the option to delete individual conversion presets.

JonnyRedHed

• World Citizen
« Reply #219 on: May 15, 2019, 01:06:54 pm »

Car radio play list change.  When changing car radio playlist it would be nice to have an option to not play the first top track in the list but to rather scroll down to the last played track.  Default as is now, but with option in settings to make it scroll to last played file. 

Could have it in right click over each car radio button, option to remember last played track on list change, and or globally remember last played track of each list and scroll down to and play that track from the start.  Default, keep it as is now with playing first track on list change.

I know it would make things smoother for me, maybe others as well.

JonnyRedHed

• World Citizen
« Reply #220 on: May 15, 2019, 01:17:29 pm »

Standard view cover art slide show based from current playing tracks sub folders, artwork, art, images, covers.

Set up from right clicking over the cover art showing for the playing file.

Cover art style, plain and rotated.  Rotated option with the reflection effect included in the slide show effect.

I've been suggesting this for years,  surely some clever dev here have at least mentally mapped it out by now how it would work. So it might  only take an hour or so :)  I have no idea tho how easy or not it is.

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi
« Reply #221 on: May 21, 2019, 11:19:16 am »

Support regular expressions in the find and replace tool.

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi
« Reply #222 on: May 21, 2019, 01:35:55 pm »

When adding a new field the name of the field is auto populated with "My Field", can you make it so that we don't have to manually delete that every time?  When we start typing in that field it should just delete My Field

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #223 on: May 21, 2019, 01:53:33 pm »

When adding a new field the name of the field is auto populated with "My Field", can you make it so that we don't have to manually delete that every time?  When we start typing in that field it should just delete My Field

Good one.

Coming next build:
Changed: When adding a library field, the name will be fully selected so typing anything will replace it (instead of requiring manual delete).

Mike Foran

• World Citizen
« Reply #224 on: May 22, 2019, 09:44:59 pm »

I would like to have a wildcard option in Find+Replace. So I could select a group of files and do
Find:*
Replace:* (Live)

And it would append (Live) to the contents of the selected fields. Currently I would have to manually add it for each file, or do a RMCF to and then 'Fill Properties From Filename" which is a PITA and easily introduces errors.

Mike Foran

• World Citizen
« Reply #225 on: May 22, 2019, 10:04:06 pm »

I would like the "Listening Test" expanded to enable me to select two tracks and A/B them while they play so I can compare the differences between them at the same point in time.

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi
« Reply #226 on: May 22, 2019, 10:33:18 pm »

I would like to have a wildcard option in Find+Replace. So I could select a group of files and do
Find:*
Replace:* (Live)

And it would append (Live) to the contents of the selected fields. Currently I would have to manually add it for each file, or do a RMCF to and then 'Fill Properties From Filename" which is a PITA and easily introduces errors.

You can do this now.  Say you want to add (Live) to the end of the track name.  Select all the tracks you want to change.  Then in the Tag menu for name enter this =[Name] (Live)

If you have questions start a new thread or PM me.

Mike Foran

• World Citizen
« Reply #227 on: May 23, 2019, 08:08:15 am »

You can do this now.  Say you want to add (Live) to the end of the track name.  Select all the tracks you want to change.  Then in the Tag menu for name enter this =[Name] (Live)

You just blew my hillbilly mind.

Awesome Donkey

• Administrator
  • The color of Spring...
« Reply #228 on: May 24, 2019, 04:42:44 pm »

Here goes...

As spurred on by this excellent idea in this thread I've got a related idea.

- Have a setting to set/define the behavior of the double click on thumbnail action; a) always launch it in Display View (the current default) or b) always launch it in Detach Display.

This would go along pretty well with that idea if I say so myself! That, and iTunes itself when double clicking on thumbnails opens them in a "Detach Display" type of view.
I don't work for JRiver... I help keep the forums safe from Viagra and other sources of sketchy pharmaceuticals.

Windows 11 2023 Update (23H2) 64-bit + Ubuntu 24.04 LTS Noble Numbat 64-bit | Windows 11 2023 Update (23H2) 64-bit (Intel N305 Fanless NUC 16GB RAM/256GB NVMe SSD)
JRiver Media Center 32 (Windows + Linux) | Topping D50s DAC | Edifier R2000DB Bookshelf Speakers

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #229 on: May 25, 2019, 04:42:00 am »

Drag & drop customized views to different locations in the tree

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
« Reply #230 on: May 25, 2019, 10:22:43 am »

I'd really love an optional checkbox to calculate volume leveling on a per disc basis, not a per title basis.

Case use scenario: with the rise of super deluxe box sets that contain many, many discs dedicated to one title, you may have the studio album on disc one, mastered to an appropriate (or usually, brickwalled) level, and then disc two might be 4-track demos, which are mastered nowhere near as loud, and then disc three might be a concert from the album's tour, and concerts are always compressed and limited. This results in a very uneven listening experience as I don't want to break these box sets up into multiple titles just to get the volume right. An optional check box to calculate volume leveling on a per disc, not a per title, basis would solve this very easily.

Mike Foran

• World Citizen
« Reply #231 on: May 25, 2019, 10:37:09 am »

Here's a thing I've wished for for a while: When using Copy --> Shift+Paste to copy all the metadata from one set of files to another, I would like it if Album Art and Extras were also available to be copied over as well.

Conrad

• Recent member
« Reply #232 on: June 02, 2019, 03:03:34 pm »

In the Windows version it'd be nice if the tab key moved you between fields (and shift tab moved you back) when entering values in the PEQ screens of the DSP studio. It works on Mac.

It might behave the same on other screens, but I've been using the PEQ screens a lot recently so it's the one i've noticed.

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi
« Reply #233 on: June 02, 2019, 06:32:50 pm »

An option to left align the text at the top of the screen.  This is becoming more and more necessary with super wide monitors and multi monitor setups. 

Here is how it looks now

Left justified

sram16

• Recent member
« Reply #234 on: June 03, 2019, 09:43:55 am »

It could be really useful if there was an ability to pin/lock tree views to the tabs, that way they don't change/disappear if you misclick. Right clicking on the tab only gives the option of 'Execute <Tree view name here>, but I feel like there should be another for pinning

For example I like having one tab for a Panes view, and another for the playback device

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #235 on: June 03, 2019, 10:12:12 am »

An option to left align the text at the top of the screen.  This is becoming more and more necessary with super wide monitors and multi monitor setups. 

Here is how it looks now

Left justified

Sure thing!

Coming next build:
NEW: Added the right-click option to "Left Align Text" to the player bar.

Awesome Donkey

• Administrator
  • The color of Spring...
« Reply #236 on: June 03, 2019, 11:04:42 am »

How about an option to align the player artwork next to the player text, ala iTunes style?
I don't work for JRiver... I help keep the forums safe from Viagra and other sources of sketchy pharmaceuticals.

Windows 11 2023 Update (23H2) 64-bit + Ubuntu 24.04 LTS Noble Numbat 64-bit | Windows 11 2023 Update (23H2) 64-bit (Intel N305 Fanless NUC 16GB RAM/256GB NVMe SSD)
JRiver Media Center 32 (Windows + Linux) | Topping D50s DAC | Edifier R2000DB Bookshelf Speakers

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #237 on: June 03, 2019, 11:07:28 am »

How about an option to align the player artwork next to the player text, ala iTunes style?

The artwork is moving next build so we could make it taller.  Stay tuned.

Sauzee

« Reply #238 on: June 08, 2019, 09:18:12 am »

The ability to use a link on multiple files, eg. select 3 movies in Media Center and click link to lookup on iMDB or wherever the link points to. At the moment if you select 3 files and click the link only 1 of the files is looked up.

Currently if you want information on more than one film/album etc. it involves way more work than it should.

I open the links with an external browser, and presumably, Media Center could open a tab for each of the files selected.

Negasonic

• World Citizen
« Reply #239 on: June 09, 2019, 09:36:50 pm »

Please kindly add 'Volume Leveling' on/off toggle button to the toolbar options.

I turn this on or off depending on whether I play through speakers or headphones. And I swap between these several times per day. With 'Volume Leveling' ON the volume gets a bit too low for my headphone setup, that's why I need to switch that setting to OFF during headphone listening.

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
« Reply #240 on: June 10, 2019, 12:29:32 am »

Please kindly add 'Volume Leveling' on/off toggle button to the toolbar options.

I turn this on or off depending on whether I play through speakers or headphones. And I swap between these several times per day. With 'Volume Leveling' ON the volume gets a bit too low for my headphone setup, that's why I need to switch that setting to OFF during headphone listening.

I get around this by turning on the EQ in DSP and only using the volume slider up 3-6dB because yeah, the volume in the headphones on my main PC is a bit low. Maybe something that'll help while you're waiting for an update. :)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #241 on: June 10, 2019, 01:06:17 am »

This thread isn't supposed to be used for discussions, but...

The actual permanent solution to this is simple. Volume Leveling just changes the volume. It doesn't do anything else, such as Dynamic Range Compression. So all you need to do is use the EQ in DSP as AlanDistro suggests, but on the Speaker Zone, not the Headphone Zone, and reduce the speaker volume by the amount required so that the headphones and speakers match. You need to do this reduction, rather than increasing the volume against the Headphone EQ, so that you don't overpower the headphones or cause clipping. As RD James often says, always use the EQ to reduce volume, not increase it.

Once that is done, just increase the volume control you use (Internal, System, volume knob on your amp) to adjust the volume to the listening level desired. Of course, you need to be using Zones, but if you are switching from Headphones to speakers you should be using Zones anyway.

You do the above once, then never have to think about it again. No new feature required. No reason to turn Volume Leveling on and off when changing from the speakers to headphones or vice versa.

If this requires further discussion, please start a new thread.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Negasonic

• World Citizen
« Reply #242 on: June 10, 2019, 02:04:43 am »

Good points, guys. Thanks!

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
« Reply #243 on: June 10, 2019, 09:02:37 am »

For the Thumbnail Text Lines... can we have the option to 'top align' the shorter titles so they aren't centered in the big open space next to longer album titles? I *love* being able to see the longer titles, but shorter titles seem to float off into space. Photoshop example attached, I think the top align looks much cleaner.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #244 on: June 10, 2019, 11:53:07 am »

For the Thumbnail Text Lines... can we have the option to 'top align' the shorter titles so they aren't centered in the big open space next to longer album titles? I *love* being able to see the longer titles, but shorter titles seem to float off into space. Photoshop example attached, I think the top align looks much cleaner.

We tried it and kind of liked it.  So next build:
Changed: Thumbnail text is top aligned instead of vertically centered.

aproc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #245 on: June 10, 2019, 02:18:06 pm »

Requesting to add support for External Audio Tracks for video files/Blu Rays/ UHD Blu Rays, just as External Subtitle Tracks are supported.

DJLegba

« Reply #246 on: June 11, 2019, 06:14:17 am »

Apply output device buffer setting to DSP Studio Analyzer so the graph syncs with the music.

Conrad

• Recent member
« Reply #247 on: June 14, 2019, 02:31:44 pm »

In the Windows version it'd be nice if the tab key moved you between fields (and shift tab moved you back) when entering values in the PEQ screens of the DSP studio. It works on Mac.

It might behave the same on other screens, but I've been using the PEQ screens a lot recently so it's the one i've noticed.

Any reason why this wasn't picked up? Is it more than an hour's work, just my installation that it doesn't work on, or not worth "fixing", or something else?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #248 on: June 14, 2019, 03:01:50 pm »

Any reason why this wasn't picked up? Is it more than an hour's work, just my installation that it doesn't work on, or not worth "fixing", or something else?
A bit weird. It works on linux too.
Sound like a job for Matt!

OfotViking

• Recent member
« Reply #249 on: June 14, 2019, 06:16:51 pm »

- A "Lookup lyrics" toolbar button
- An "Edit lyrics" toolbar button that opens the lyrics tag in the "edit in popup" window
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up