INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume leveling not working with DLNA servers  (Read 2071 times)

OlivierPS

• Recent member
Volume leveling not working with DLNA servers
« on: February 19, 2019, 01:12:54 am »

Hi, fellow audiophiles!

For my “casual” listening, volume leveling is very handy — as for anyone else, I guess. So I’d be very disappointed if it weren’t possible to make it work in “DLNA server” mode. Here’s the problem:

When I go into the “DSP Studio” pannel, I have this message :

Playback stopped or current playback doesn’t support processing.

The playback is currently running, of course. So the question becomes:

→ If it isn’t a MC bug, what are the prerequisites — or the conditions — for having the “Volume Leveling” function to be enabled?

Thank you very much in advance.

Olivier :-{)

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Volume leveling not working with DLNA servers
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 05:26:27 am »

I see that you have another post with the same subject, but with images attached.
Your images show that you're excluding most file types. Set it to always convert all file types instead. Does that work?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 05:39:40 am »

I've locked the other thread.  It's here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,119552.0.html

DJLegba

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 07:40:01 am »

I only want to use volume leveling during a workout, when I play via DLNA to a network device. I have enabled volume leveling in the DSP Studio settings of the DLNA server, but it doesn't work. I definitely have the Audiophile 24-bit DAC associated with the DLNA device.

MC 24.0.75 (64-bit)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 09:08:50 am »

I only want to use volume leveling during a workout, when I play via DLNA to a network device. I have enabled volume leveling in the DSP Studio settings of the DLNA server, but it doesn't work. I definitely have the Audiophile 24-bit DAC associated with the DLNA device.

MC 24.0.75 (64-bit)
In your screenshot under Advanced DSP studio settings, do you have enabled volume leveling there?

DJLegba

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 09:28:51 am »

In your screenshot under Advanced DSP studio settings, do you have enabled volume leveling there?

Yes, that's the only place I have it set.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 11:05:01 am »

Just tried this with both Audiophile DAC (24 bit wave) and MP3 specified output and the volume leveling is definitely being applied.
I tested by playing a track with a large negative offset of -16 as viewed as the field Volume Level (R128) in the file list then played it back to a generic DLNA rendering device, a Noxon radio, and it was much much louder with the volume leveling off.
Note you must restart MC between tests or play a different track because the conversion is cached.

DJLegba

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 12:39:30 pm »

Just tried this with both Audiophile DAC (24 bit wave) and MP3 specified output and the volume leveling is definitely being applied.
I tested by playing a track with a large negative offset of -16 as viewed as the field Volume Level (R128) in the file list then played it back to a generic DLNA rendering device, a Noxon radio, and it was much much louder with the volume leveling off.
Note you must restart MC between tests or play a different track because the conversion is cached.

I apologize. I tried the same test and confirmed that it is indeed working. I think what fooled me was the presence of my son's massively compressed Japanese pop in the shuffled list.

OlivierPS

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 01:16:53 am »

(I’m glad I found the correct thread with responsive people. Thank you.)

I’ve configured the DLNA Server to “Always convert to the specified output format”. I’ve restarted MC and still get the message “… doesn’t support processing” → see snapshots.

DJLegba

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 06:34:08 am »

You get that message because playback is stopped. Ignore it. Volume leveling should work. Try the test suggested by Bob - find a file with a big replay gain value (either positive or negative) and play it. Then turn off volume leveling, restart Media Center, and play it again. The difference should be obvious.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 07:29:52 pm »

You also get that message when playing from MC to a DLNA Renderer, even when accessing the DSP via the DLNA settings page. See image.

That is probably a bit of an oversight on JRiver's part. Essentially there should be some information about the Audio Path when DSP is being applied to DLNA streamed media.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

OlivierPS

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 06:56:32 am »

Yes, indeed, that’s the impression I get: MC says “playback doesn’t support processing”, even when volume leveling is actually in function. I will do some more testing and measuring over the weekend. What I can say so far is that volume leveling looks to be active when there is some format conversion taking place — like FLAC to PCM-24 bit. Once all this will be confirmed, I suggest it should be documented in the wiki — I volonteer for this.

Olivier :-{)
Pages: [1]   Go Up