INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Run Plex on unRAID NAS and run MC library server on separate Linux box?  (Read 928 times)

pepar

• World Citizen

So, I have my media on an unRAID server, a separate Linux NUC running MC Library Server, and separate Linux NUCs as MC clients for my theater and a master BR system. Now I am looking at “cutting the cord” and using Fire or Roku sticks on our other TVs. I would like my wife to be able to watch saved TV episodes from the unRAID NAS via an app on her stick.

I didn’t see where JRiver’s DLNA can be used with Roku Media Player so I am asking if I can run Plex on the unRAID without interfering with MC using the same stored media content?

Jeff
"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Run Plex on unRAID NAS and run MC library server on separate Linux box?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 06:58:42 pm »

I don't have a Roku or know much about it. I assume you are referring to JRiver Media Center not being listed on this page as a tested DLNA server that the Roku works with?

Just because MC hasn't been tested by Roku doesn't mean it won't work. MC is a DLNA server, and that is all that is required. There may or may not be any issues using a MC DLNA Server with the Roku.

Try it.

PS: A Plex DLNA server running on the unRAID shouldn't interfere with a MC Server serving the same media files. Maybe there is a small possibility of file contention if both were reading the same file at the same time, but even that probably wouldn't be an issue. If either was updating tags in the files, which MC certainly can during playback if tags like "Number of Plays" were being written to the files, then there could be an issue. But you can control which tags are written to files.

Generally, it should work fine. Generally, using two media servers will reduce the benefit of having a media server. i.e. Tracking number of plays, or if a program has been watched, or where you are up to in a program (Bookmarks), will be stored on two separate servers. So just try using the MC DLNA Server.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

pepar

• World Citizen
Re: Run Plex on unRAID NAS and run MC library server on separate Linux box?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 07:43:56 pm »

Good plan. Thanks!
"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
Pages: [1]   Go Up