INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Channel scan not seeing any channels  (Read 3595 times)

DWW1505

Channel scan not seeing any channels
« on: February 23, 2019, 01:35:14 am »

On a working setup, the channel scan / rescan does not find any channels after update to build 18343.  Don't bother about the insider version not being supported, April is just around the corner.  Insider is around so the third parties don't get surprised when the next update lands.  Nothing else in the television section seems to be broken.  The problem is evident in both 24.0.15 and 24.0.75.  Since I don't do rescans often, this might have occurred in a prior OS upgrade.  It rescanned OK with build 18272.  Different versions of the HDHomerun driver had no effect. See attached log.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Channel scan not seeing any channels
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 08:43:33 am »

I will read your log file tomorrow.

Did you install HDHomerun driver properly, and set its bda compatibility to JRiver Media Center?
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/TV_Tuners#HDHomeRun
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

DWW1505

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 05:42:09 pm »

I installed current HDHomerun driver properly, and set its bda compatibility to JRiver Media Center per the wiki.  On a clean system of build 18272 with current HDHomerun drivers and 24.0.75 loaded and configured, the channel scan recognizes scanned channels.

When updated to build 18343, channel scan does not recognize scanned channels.  Other television functions seem to be OK.  Channels scanned and saved under build 18272 or manually entered play correctly.  Firewall and Windows Defender AV settings were not adjusted between builds and appear unchanged.

dacoba

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 05:04:58 am »

Any solutions found? I have same problem.
Details:
On an old laptop (Sony Vaio Intel i7-3632QM CPU 2.2GHz, 8GB RAM, I like it for 17.3" 1080p screen), I had Windows Preview (19H1 last build before 20H1 came out) running with JRiver 25.0.xx (64-bit). All was fine with Media Center, but as I normally screw around with stuff in the Preview OS, it became unmanageable. So two days ago, decided it was time to give it another clean install of Windows.

I installed the public release of Windows 10, v1903, build 18362.175 + all updates. Added Norton Security and other apps. Got around to JRiver yesterday. (Laptop is on Ethernet not wireless.)
MC25.0.54 (64-bit) installs OK, but during first-run-setup of TV, the scanner fails to find any channels. It shows total 68 channels and slowly counts from 1 to 68 as it normally does. But doesn't find anything.
I have a new HomeRun Quatro. It was working fine on this laptop with Preview OS with JRiver 25. On this newly installed OS, the HomeRun Setup app ran, no problems, found all local OTA channels and sub-channels. Quatro plays well with HomeRun playback app.

What I have done to troubleshoot (not much I know to do on this one - open for suggestions):
>I ran TV setup with and without program schedule (The mc2xml goes berserk when media center doesn't find channels.)
>Uninstalled and reinstalled Media Center. (Before reinstalling deleted leftover JRiver folder in C:\Program Files and everything I could delete in C:\Windows\Temp and C:\[my user]\AppData\Local\Temp to clear out any leftover install files.)
>I've restarted laptop and HomeRun Quatro more than once.
>Disabled all Norton and reinstalled MC25.
>Also checked Norton firewall and JRiver (C:\Program Files\Media Center 25\JRWeb.exe) is marked 'allowed'. Is there something more I need to allow through firewall? Never had any problems here before.
>Doubled checked router to be sure there was nothing blocking data over network. If it runs under HomeRun app I figure that confirms no problem there.
>Checked that BDA Compatibility in HomeRun setup is set to JRiver Media Center.

I'm thinking about moving over to Windows Preview 20H1, but really don't see how that would fix this. And I want to keep the laptop on stable OS until I get desktop rebuilt (see note below).
Normally I can successfully solve most of my computer problems on my own. But this one has me stuck.
Anybody got any ideas?
One minor weird note: I'm rebuilding my desktop with AMD Threadripper, new mobo, etc, etc, so it is not available to run JRiver, but it was running MC25 on Windows 1903 Public Release (not Preview) without problems. That's what makes this mystery so intriguing and frustrating. Is there some problem with legacy hardware in my very old laptop? If so, why/how was MC25 running under Windows 19H1 Preview on this very same machine?
Thank you in advance for any help! I desperately need some.
Davis
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 08:22:39 am »

Not yet.

dacoba

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 11:47:17 am »

Not good, but understandable.
Will check back tomorrow.
Maybe I'll have the desktop running and see what happens when I put MC25 on it.
Later

dacoba

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 05:27:12 pm »

Discovered article in JRiver Wiki about TV Tuners.
That article covered HD HomeRun Prime CableCARD, Connect or Extend. I have a new Quatro (4-tuners, free OTA broadcast only). In the information in the Wiki, it was mentioned there were two types of devices/tuners installed by the HomeRun Setup and listed in MC, Manage TV Devices: an OpenCable version and a Digital version. The statement reads that the Digital devices/tuners do not work in MC.
The Quatro installs only the Digital tuners. It obviously does not install the OpenCable/CableCARD version because Quatro does not have that feature. Should I take the statement about HomeRun Digital tuners not working in MC as verbatim for ALL HomeRun Digital tuners? Or does it apply only to the devices mentioned above?
I ask, as this might be something to investigate per my problems with MC25 and Windows 1903.
Comments?
Also, did not mention in first post: I do have the latest drivers downloaded from SiliconDust site. The setup app also included a firmware update. So I'm as up-to-date as you can get. Still no TV...
Thanks in advance for any help sent my way.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 06:03:08 pm »

Should I take the statement about HomeRun Digital tuners not working in MC as verbatim for ALL HomeRun Digital tuners? Or does it apply only to the devices mentioned above?

No.  That statement applies to "HDHomeRun Prime" only.

Your Quatro, being an OTA tuner, should be a "true" digital device like Extend or Connect.

dacoba

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 07:37:34 pm »

Many thanks

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2019, 02:12:33 pm »

ATSC Channel scanning should work now.  Build 62 is available to public.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2019, 05:56:15 pm »

ATSC Channel scanning should work now.  Build 62 is available to public.

Fixed: ATSC channel scanning and OTA EPG scanning on latest Windows 10 updates did not work.

So it's now safe to install Win10 v1903? No other things microsoft broke in MC? It was just channel scanning?
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2019, 06:58:37 pm »

Fixed: ATSC channel scanning and OTA EPG scanning on latest Windows 10 updates did not work.

So it's now safe to install Win10 v1903? No other things microsoft broke in MC? It was just channel scanning?

It was channel scanning and OTA EPG scanning.

So far I have not seen any other problems, but who knows what else might pop up.

By the way, the issue only affects ATSC over-the-air tuners, not CableCARD tuners.

dacoba

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2019, 03:16:02 am »

OK the good news first: Channel scanning with my HomeRun Quatro works.
AND THANK YOU. I don't want to sound as if I don't appreciate the new Build 62, because I do. I'm very thankful for the new Build. It's great that progress has been made!!
I see all the local channels and sub-channels in my area in the Scan dialog box. Once I even got to the select favorites/hide channels check list. But...

The bad news is that mc2xml does not run.
It stops on the line "Win32 setup . : Use dialog for initial configuration."
I click OK in the user dialog (my zip code is correct). It disappears. The "EPG loading... M2XML provider token is ATSC" box with spinner spinning pops up. But nothing else happens for about 3 minutes, until the user dialog reappears. I click OK, the CMD window refreshes, and we go through this over and over.
Once there was a error on the next line about something not found. Sorry, didn't make note of it. It was there the first 2 times I ran setup. Then did not come back during the other times.

After attempting to setup Television (getting through the Scan part anyway) and restart JRiver, and re-open Television, the window says "Double click to run program setup." Seems JRiver sees channels have been found and is looking for the program file to associate it with the channels. M2xml still gets stuck.

After clicking on the close 'X' button in the dialog boxes that appear during the run of mc2xml, I can finally get it to stop repeating. Next I get a notice that an "external program has completed successfully, but no data was loaded". After clicking Next, I see the program guide with all the channels listed with "click here to configure" next to each one.
If I click Next and try to go on, I get notice that "there is no program file available... run setup again".

The full list from the CMD window is here:
Loading ..... : mc2xml (c) <... @gmail> (v1.4)
Reminder .... : Unauthorized redistribution prohibited.
Donator ..... : Thank you for donating!
PayPal ...... : JRiver, Inc. <... @jriver>
Win32 setup . : Use dialog for initial configuration.

What I did:
After upgrading to Build 62, I ran the Television setup. When that didn't complete, I tried going to Options and completely resetting JRiver Television so it would start TV setup fresh. I also checked the box for it to clear the program guide. Did that twice or thrice.
When that didn't work, I completely uninstalled JRiver and reinstalled a clean copy from the Build 62 install file. Same problems.
Also restarted the laptop between all/most attempts to run Television setup.
Once again, any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated.
And thanks for Build 62.
Davis

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2019, 09:55:03 am »

mc2xml does not work in the USA currently.

In the past there have been several instances of it not producing data, which turned out to be a temporary condition.  Sometimes the data source ("Rovi") simply just does not update the data, or has server issues.  After a couple of days, it usually recover by itself.

I tested this yesterday on both Windows 10 and Windows 7.  The result is the same.  mc2xml encountered a TCP error.  We have no way of knowing what that means as mc2xml is a third-party software.

I hope the issue will go away soon.

MrGadget

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2019, 07:32:38 pm »

In regard to the statement "mc2xml does not work in the USA currently". This has been broken a full week now.

The mc2xml program is not yours, but you have bought it, an bundled it with Media Center. Do you intend to do any investigation on the cause of the problem?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2019, 07:39:00 pm »

Not able. It's a third party program.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2019, 08:30:04 pm »

mc2xml works perfectly fine in the USA (outside of MC using paid guide provider like schedules direct).
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

jachin99

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2019, 08:45:52 pm »

http://epg123.garyan2.net/  You can try this instead.  There is an option to create an xmltv file, which is what I have been using as a TV guide for JRiver.  If MC2XML still contacts Microsoft's servers then its days might be coming to an end as others who rely on the MS guide have been having a lot of trouble lately.  I think you can use a scheduled direct account with even MC2XML but you will have to double check.  I'm not entirely sure if schedules direct services areas outside of the US>   

MrGadget

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2019, 07:20:31 pm »

This issue is resolved. The data provider (Rovi) is back online.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2019, 07:48:09 pm »

Hooray!
Pages: [1]   Go Up