INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bugs with Media Server  (Read 817 times)

Papyrus

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Bugs with Media Server
« on: May 21, 2003, 07:50:06 pm »

1) Media Center properly support filename with accents (à, é, ê, ...), but Media Server doesn't. It gives an error about not being able to obtain the license or something. The error pop-up both on the remote Media Center client and the Media Server console. Since the string is properly displayed in both case (like "Bélanger") I suspect it is just some intermediate string transformation that don't support these characters. (They are not even Unicode, - just plain ASCII like é is char 130).

This is annoying since part of my collection is in french.

2) Loading a Media Center client that was linked to a remote Media Server automatically reconnect to this server. That is great. However, if the connection fail (say the server wasn't loaded on the other machine) there is a few problems:
 a) It sometime crash (one time an AF, another a buffer overrun)
 b) Once you exit and restart, it doesn't try again to reconnect to the server. This is quite "wife unfriendly" :)

This software is great - keep up the good work!

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: Bugs with Media Server
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2003, 07:47:55 am »

1) Media Center properly support filename with accents (à, é, ê, ...), but Media Server doesn't. It gives an error about not being able to obtain the license or something

I don't think this is a bug in Media Server - it sounds like you are trying to play a WMA file and the client machine doesn't have a license for that file.

2) Loading a Media Center client that was linked to a remote Media Server automatically reconnect to this server. That is great. However, if the connection fail (say the server wasn't loaded on the other machine) there is a few problems:
 a) It sometime crash (one time an AF, another a buffer overrun)
 b) Once you exit and restart, it doesn't try again to reconnect to the server. This is quite "wife unfriendly" :)

This software is great - keep up the good work!

Do you have the latest version? If it is not reconnecting on restart, it is because of the previous crash. Otherwise it does reconnect.

j

Papyrus

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Bugs with Media Server
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2003, 08:12:25 am »

Half-catch with WMA. It is not related to licensing of WMA since just renaming the file to remove the accents fixes it. (and I was careful to disable DRM before ripping my collection) But it appear to be WMA-specific as the same file converted to APE doesn't have that problem.

And for the reconnect case - yes I am talking about the crashing case. If it fails to connect and I exit (or it does), then restart, it doesn't try anymore. Not the end of the world, but once in a while the server isn't ready (rebooting, ...) and it's always at that time that my wife try to play music... ;)  I'll retry with 176 (have the previous one currently)

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up