INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: JRiver CloudPlay  (Read 6930 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
NEW: JRiver CloudPlay
« on: March 15, 2019, 11:16:21 am »

[Edit:  Please use this newer thread:  https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,120166.msg830680.html#msg830680 ]

Imagine a limitless giga-library of lossless audio files that you can play anywhere.  That's where JRiver CloudPlay is going.

Upload your own files as playlists
They are uploaded to our server at Amazon S3 whose reliability is excellent.

Play these playlists anywhere
Play Doctor can also combine these files with your local files.  Others can do the same.

JRiver Radio uses these new files
Radio programming is built from the files.

Playback will work from a browser
Coming soon.

High Quality and Legal
All streaming is lossless.  JRiver pays the licensing fees.

User Supported
Give what you can.  Your support makes it work.

Edit:  In 25.0.17, CloudPlay is in the tree on the left.  It links to Playlist Upload (formerly Doctor Who) and to Radio JRiver. 

Edit 2: Help was updated on the CloudPlay / Playlist Upload page.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
Re: NEW: JRiver CloudPlay
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 11:46:01 am »

This sounds really nice. I have a gazillion questions though :P. I'll start with just a few to ease you into it haha ;-).

Will it be a separate subscription or be part of an MC purchase/license?

Will you do quality checks before making files/playlists available? There are a lot of downloaded content out there that have been improperly ripped, from analogue source to 128kbps mp3 and then converted to flac, or made louder (and clipping), run through DSP/equalizer.

How will you handle the upload of another version of an album or song? Will you allow me to choose and play back a different version if there are multiple available? A way to up/downvote perhaps?

I really think the success would almost exclusively depend on the quality of the uploads, but I could be wrong.

Unrelated, but I always wished Discogs would start something similar. It already has the database with the proper release info and to identify them, all that people need to do is upload and have a way to verify the upload is what people say it is. I'd pay good money for a subscription like that.

Thanks! Looking forward to this.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 12:55:07 pm »

This sounds really nice. I have a gazillion questions though :P. I'll start with just a few to ease you into it haha ;-).

Will it be a separate subscription or be part of an MC purchase/license?
At this time, it's "listener supported".  You can contribute or not, via Radio JRiver.  Suggested contribution is $5/month or $50/year.
Will you do quality checks before making files/playlists available? There are a lot of downloaded content out there that have been improperly ripped, from analogue source to 128kbps mp3 and then converted to flac, or made louder (and clipping), run through DSP/equalizer.
We do some now.  We may need to do more.
How will you handle the upload of another version of an album or song? Will you allow me to choose and play back a different version if there are multiple available? A way to up/downvote perhaps?
We plan to add ratings to playlists.  Your playlist could contain more than one version.  Other users could play the playlist, but couldn't select which one to play.
I really think the success would almost exclusively depend on the quality of the uploads, but I could be wrong.
You could judge for yourself now by playing what's currently there. 

Doctor Who is at the bottom of the Playlists (this may change).  Login or register, then click on the settings icon and set it to play only playlists with media.
Unrelated, but I always wished Discogs would start something similar. It already has the database with the proper release info and to identify them, all that people need to do is upload and have a way to verify the upload is what people say it is. I'd pay good money for a subscription like that.
Interesting.
Thanks! Looking forward to this.
You're welcome.  Thanks for the comments.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 11:36:05 pm »

Watching this with interest....

Still don't use Doctor Who because logging in is a pain, and even though I ask it to remember me, it doesn't.

Ideally, I would like that, from inside MC, one login, with a working 'remember me' would work for all MC services (Pix01 and Doctor Who)

If CloudPlay / Play Doctor would work from JRemote, playing to 'this device', it could revolutionise my in-car entertainment....

-marko

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 08:08:50 am »

If CloudPlay / Play Doctor would work from JRemote, playing to 'this device', it could revolutionise my in-car entertainment....
John and I did a little testing yesterday and John thinks we can get this working.  When you click on the play icon in the new Doctor Who, you're downloading and executing a playlist.  It's currently a link to a JRiver mpl playlist, but we can add a link to an m3u playlist.

It works now with the mpl link and MC, maybe also with JRiver for Android.

Axilian

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 05:31:31 pm »

Doctor Who do working at all for me at the moment - I was definitely logged but no stream that had media files uploaded would play

and now all I'm getting is

Error ID:
115cf6b4
Details:
Web application could not be started by the Phusion Passenger application server.

Please read the Passenger log file (search for the Error ID) to find the details of the error.

You can also get a detailed report to appear directly on this page, but for security reasons it is only provided if Phusion Passenger is run with environment set to development and/or with the friendly error pages option set to on.

For more information about configuring environment and friendly error pages, see:

Nginx integration mode
Apache integration mode
Standalone mode

Axilian

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 05:47:03 pm »

Doctor Who not working at all for me at the moment - I was definitely logged but no stream that had media files uploaded would play

and now all I'm getting is

Error ID:
115cf6b4
Details:
Web application could not be started by the Phusion Passenger application server.

Please read the Passenger log file (search for the Error ID) to find the details of the error.

You can also get a detailed report to appear directly on this page, but for security reasons it is only provided if Phusion Passenger is run with environment set to development and/or with the friendly error pages option set to on.

For more information about configuring environment and friendly error pages, see:

Nginx integration mode
Apache integration mode
Standalone mode

Update :

got back to main Doctor Who - selected to show playlists that had media files upload - when to jimh - clicked the play icon next to the french pop  playlist  -
 I get a pop up shoutcast box which give me the open to stream media - so I select that and click and it just pops up a box with a different streaming service and that's all I get :(
Even if I click to download the play files (the other icon again the french pop icon) I just get a report of download failed :(

Checked my network setting and MC 25 is clearly being allowed through the firewall (proven as I can load up Radio JRiver and Radio Paradise) by Doctor Who is an absolute no go

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 05:57:24 pm »

Give it another try.  We had some server problems this afternoon, but it should be OK now.  I'm playing a Doctor Who playlist from EdBrady.

Axilian

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 02:07:05 am »

Checked again 07:05 22/03/19 GMT (I'm in the UK) - still no go - I still get exactly what i posted under update :( with the playlist from EdBrady this time - it just seems that the MC is  not seeing the Amazon S3 server at all :( - are there any location restrictions on server accessibility?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 06:55:17 am »

I get a pop up shoutcast box which give me the open to stream media - so I select that and click and it just pops up a box with a different streaming service and that's all I get :(
What is the "different streaming service"?  That should not happen.  It's grabbing the file type.  I believe it's .mpl.  Make sure JRiver is set to own that file type.

Axilian

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 11:39:40 am »

Checked the file association and .mpl is associated to MC 25 - I thought it may be firewall / antivirus but with both off it still does not work

The sequence of events I get is

I go into doctor who (am logged in) I go to the Edbrady playlist and click on the play button by the play list and get notification box capture1.png (note the dialogue box says Streaming as the title)
I then click ok and the box disappears to be replace about 5 seconds later by notification box capture2.png (the the title of the box now says Shoutcast).
If I click OK in that box it then disappears to get replaced by the same  notification box with SomaFM and so it goes on and on

In fact as an experience I thought I'd try downloading a playlist without files attached so I went to the playlist by user Axil (which is my own playlist which I uploaded under MC24 a few months ago ) and the playlist just gives me a download error so I definitely can say  Doctor Who is not working for me at all with MC 25.

Update : 
I re-enabled JMRC 24 and tried to upload a 1 track playlist  to cloud  - that didn't work it's tries to upload but just fails and stores the .mpl on my desktop (which opens fine in MC25) - JRMC24 also won't download the playlist I already have there which I used exactly the same installation to upload in the first place :(

Doing the same in MC 25 - doesn't work either  with exactly the same issue

The really stupid thing is Both MC versions  report the file as uploaded but an attempt to play it clearly shows its not uploaded to the cloud at all - playlist doesn't show up under my account or file  show up

swiv3d

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2019, 08:55:58 am »

Dr Who streaming playlists is working ok for me - currently listening to syndromeofadown's playlist. Downloading a playlist is also working correctly. So, it is likely some setting in your system is blocking normal function.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2019, 09:17:04 am »

Dr Who streaming playlists is working ok for me - currently listening to syndromeofadown's playlist. Downloading a playlist is also working correctly. So, it is likely some setting in your system is blocking normal function.
I think it's not that.  It's probably related to how we check the validity of the user.  We'll get it fixed on Monday or so. 

Axilian

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2019, 04:58:50 pm »

upgraded to 25.016 - tried to play a playlist with media again but still broken

However MC now acts differently. I no longer get the rotating dialogue box but now when I click on the play icon the mouse pointer shows it's waiting but then I get a dialogue box telling me there are no files to play

I did try to upload my 1 track playlist again and that also does not work  - I get in the action bar - A report that the upload is complete but at exactly the same time I get a popup dialogue box telling me the file failed to upload , rather contradictory.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2019, 05:36:25 pm »

In MC, you can change the browser engine.  Try switching it.  The options page has a search.

Axilian

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2019, 01:59:59 am »

That's it - YAY  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I  had chromium as my default browser having switched a few month ago - However my Doctor Who account was created when I was using IE - It seems chromium isn't working for me but when I switch back to IE streams play fine  :) - I still can't upload my test playlist but that may be because I originally tried to upload it when using chromium.  Will try a new playlist when I get back from work

UPDATE : now tried creating and uploads a new playlist with media - everything works fine with IE as the web browser

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2019, 10:21:31 am »

The devs should consider adding CloudPlay as a top-level item in the nav tree. Lots of people have a hard time finding it and it would highlight it as a powerful new feature.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2019, 10:38:58 am »

Good idea.  I've been thinking about how we re-organize and communicate what it is.

Would this work?

Add CloudPlay above Streaming.  Clicking on it opens a new page (next post)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2019, 12:07:28 pm »

CloudPlay
Cloudplay lets you combine the best of your collection, including lossless streaming of it from the Cloud, with similar music from other users. 

It works by using user uploads to our server with remote access of this music in combination with Radio JRiver. 

It's the best of several worlds.  Stream your own music playlists.  Stream others' playlists.  Combine the two.  Or just set the dial to listen to great lossless music, curated for you on Radio JRiver.

Playlist Upload

Radio JRiver

Listener Supported

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2019, 12:09:23 pm »

Dear JimH you wrote "High Quality and Legal" - Is that also valid for Europe?
Yes.  We pay the license fees.  It's listener supported.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2019, 01:37:55 pm »

We're working on putting this in the program.  Where we are so far:

Click on image to enlarge.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

contium

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2019, 02:17:09 pm »

So this would playback my actual files? Not playback files that match my library?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2019, 05:53:42 am »

So this would playback my actual files? Not playback files that match my library?
Yes.  It plays your files from our server at Amazon.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2019, 01:29:37 pm »

We're closing in on the 10,000 file mark.  Thanks to everyone who has uploaded playlists.

That's significant because it represents the size of a typical user library of tracks.

We're adding some of the playlists to the radio stations for classical and eclectic, so you'll hear new content when you listen to those.

All of the music for CloudPlay uploads and Radio JRiver is lossless.

Thanks for your support.

YandereKate

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2019, 02:15:21 pm »

I am having problems signing in/up.
when I try to sign up it says  Email This email address is already in use
Tried resetting password, looks like it works (no errors) but can't sign in. Gives me  Invalid username or password

I'm doing anything wrong?

samarah88

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Go Bucks!
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2019, 08:07:13 pm »

I'm having the same issue trying to create my account.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2019, 02:38:05 pm »

Which tag fields get transferred? I ask because one could have some personal information in the tags which doesn't need to be shared with others possibly listening the playlist

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2019, 04:19:57 pm »

The tags you put there will be there on the server, but the file can't be downloaded.  It's possible we'll need to make changes.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2019, 10:52:47 am »

Which tag fields get transferred? I ask because one could have some personal information in the tags which doesn't need to be shared with others possibly listening the playlist
I just took another look at this.  The tags are visible.  We could block some of them.  What's your specific need?

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2019, 04:41:38 pm »

I just took another look at this.  The tags are visible.  We could block some of them.  What's your specific need?
Tags on amazon is fine I guess but maybe when streaming songs out to others maybe you should only include some predetermined standard tag set like: Artist, Album, Name, Composer, Year, Genre.

Classical music "standard" may need some also other tag to be shown to be useful.

I don't know if this is a big issue for people but something to think on anyway. I don't think that I have any sensitive data stored in tags but there are some custom made fields which I would prefer to keep to myself.

Could there also be some purchase data or something like that stored in tags.

Thanks for your consideration. Feature is great and nice thing for sharing new and old musical tastes between the community.
Pages: [1]   Go Up