INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lost standard server/clent connections after MC25 installed  (Read 650 times)

MrU

• Junior Woodchuck
Lost standard server/clent connections after MC25 installed
« on: March 30, 2019, 11:43:26 am »

Dear sir/madam,
after installing MC25 [previous MC23/22/etc worked OK] I have lost all connection from server to various clients in house [TV/DVD/other laptop pc & kindle remote for control].
Previously using new installation MC kept original code for connectivity. this time the server has set up a new code and I am not able to reinstall both server and any clients as before.
this is very annoying and awkward.
My clients [all of them] cannot see the server and the server will not allow me to revert to the previous set up.

I am absolutely stuck on what to do now, I've even tried uninstall/reinstall & delete all libraries [wont allow that].
I have no idea what to do.
First time in about 14 years I've had this problem, please help someone out there.
Geoff

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Lost standard server/clent connections after MC25 installed
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 01:26:28 pm »

Firewall on the server?

RD James

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 03:44:12 pm »

I had to add an exception to Windows Firewall for MC25.
Going through the network setup again in MC should prompt you for it, but that only enabled it for public connections when my network is defined as private.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 04:47:24 pm »

Previously using new installation MC kept original code for connectivity.

It sounds like you let MC25 generate a new Access Key on your Server for Clients to use for connections, and the Clients are still trying to use the old Access Key.

Find the last good working Library Backup of the previous version you used on your Server (MC23?). MC creates them automatically. Restore that backup on the Server. That should reinstate the previous Access Key, and Clients should connect again.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Backup
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RD James

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 04:08:59 am »

It sounds like you let MC25 generate a new Access Key on your Server for Clients to use for connections, and the Clients are still trying to use the old Access Key.

Find the last good working Library Backup of the previous version you used on your Server (MC23?). MC creates them automatically. Restore that backup on the Server. That should reinstate the previous Access Key, and Clients should connect again.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Backup
I doubt that is the issue.
As I said in my previous post, upgrading to MC25 did not add an exception to the Windows Firewall, nor was I prompted to do so.
Going through the Media Network setup process in MC25 again, which kept the original access key, did prompt me to make a firewall exception.
This only added an exception for public networks though, not private networks - which is the opposite of how it should be, so I had to change that myself manually.

Strangely, it seems to have since added another entry for Media Center 25 access to public networks (I guess during a version update?) though it is disabled.
Hendrik said that he found the cause, but it has not been fixed: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,115652.msg799220.html#msg799220

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 05:22:35 pm »

I think it is both, RD. I should have said he also needs to Restore a Library Backup to get back to using the same Access Key as he had before, so that his Clients could find it without reconfiguration.

I had similar firewall issues to those you mentioned when I reconfigured my network recently, changing the router. Except it was the reverse. The new router decided my HTPC was on a Public network, and so connecting to shares was an issue. Windows networking is such fun!
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

MrU

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 09:39:04 am »

Yep RoderickGI,  :)

Doing this meant I had to check all of the files where
there and that the library was in the correct place - no issue, eventually. It proved to me, if nothing else, that the library is not just the files but also many other things including the various codes and such.
studying the streamer system at moment.....excellent [including hiccups for now].

always amazes after all these years just how good MJRiver is, longest owned "10yrs+" and most used piece of software. just keep up the good work.
thankyou, thankyou and thankyou     :) ;) :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up