INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exclusive Mode Problems with Other Applications  (Read 821 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Exclusive Mode Problems with Other Applications
« on: April 04, 2019, 06:47:55 am »

-When the audio output device is set to "exclusive" mode and playback is paused, release the device. This frustrates me at least once a day when I try to play a Youtube video and there's no sound because JRiver has locked the device even though it's not playing anything (it's paused).
Press stop (not pause) or don't use Exclusive Mode.  That's what Exlusive Mode does.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
Re: Exclusive Mode Problems with Other Applications
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 07:22:45 am »

Press stop (not pause) or don't use Exclusive Mode.  That's what Exlusive Mode does.

Other systems when using Exclusive Mode release the audio device when it is not it use. MC retains control.  Releasing the device when not in use is a common practice that MC should consider implementing.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 07:38:46 am »

Other systems when using Exclusive Mode release the audio device when it is not it use. MC retains control.  Releasing the device when not in use is a common practice that MC should consider implementing.

We consider "Pause" to be "in use", because releasing the device can result in playback delays, or on some devices even an audible click, which we definitely don't want.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 07:44:15 am »

We consider "Pause" to be "in use", because releasing the device can result in playback delays, or on some devices even an audible click, which we definitely don't want.

How about "Stop"?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 07:47:01 am »

How about "Stop"?

If you Stop, then the device will be released.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 08:07:57 am »

If you Stop, then the device will be released.

Good to know.  I have used them interchangeable in the past, but will be more careful to use Stop in the future. Thanks.

dabu

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 10:47:52 am »

Stopping means losing the playback position.

There's no contradiction at all between using exclusive mode for bit-perfect playback and releasing the device when paused. Exclusive mode's purpose is to ensure bit-perfect playback, which is irrelevant when paused as there is nothing being played back. Many other media players have this feature and it works fine, and anyone who has issues with it could simply not enable it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up