INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video stutter every ~40 minutes  (Read 961 times)

kalston

• Recent member
Video stutter every ~40 minutes
« on: April 09, 2019, 01:46:27 pm »

Hello,

Long time user of JRiver now, lately I've been (recently) having an issue on my desktop PC where the videos will stutter every 40-41 minutes (it's 100% reproducible, happens every single time). This is reported by madVR as 2 or 3 dropped frames (never more, never less), the audio however plays absolutely fine, no glitch, no drop out. But the video stutter is very noticeable - I see it every time, even when madVR UI is hidden (hence why it's driving me nuts).

This is not MC25 specific, I had it with MC23 too (I upgraded a few days ago) but this is JRiver MC specific. MPC-HC/BE does not have it, using the exact same settings and combination of madVR/LAV + the exact same files. Games do not stutter every 40 minutes, either.

The settings I use in madVR do not seem to matter (although I haven't tried messing with all of them yet), I tried DX9, 11, demanding scaling algorithms, less demanding ones etc. - it always happens. The file played back also does not matter one bit. But if it's longer than 40 mins, then yep, I'll get the stutter again after another 40 minutes. If I interact with the PC however (pause playback, alt-tab or whatever) the "40 minute timer" is reset so to say. So it seems that the issue only occurs after 40 minutes of uninterrupted video playback. But why? How?

I checked Windows Event Viewer, Task Scheduler, Task Manager/Ressource Monitor, absolutely nothing happening that could explain it (that I can see anyway). CPU/GPU frequencies aren't budging one bit either. My laptop does not have the issue at all.

It's hard for me to say when this started happening because I didn't watch a lot of films with JRiver for a few months until very recently. But I'm almost certain things were still fine in February at least...

Any ideas? Reminds me a bit of the old (but now fixed) "Start Menu not working bug" because it happens only after a set amount of time but can be prevented by actively using the PC.

Thanks!

====================================================
Desktop specs: 8700k, 1080 ti, 32GB RAM, 3 SSDs, Windows 10 Pro up to date (including video drivers which I patched recently and reset the settings)
Laptop: Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (i5-8250U, 8GB RAM, 128GB NVME, Windows 10 Home up to date)

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Video stutter every ~40 minutes
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 03:48:18 pm »

Do you have VideoClock enabled?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 03:53:53 pm »

It would be worth testing with both Red October Standard and unmodified Red October HQ

kalston

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 04:19:17 pm »

No VideoClock, never needed it (and would rather not use it). I intend to try it and see if it makes any difference though. But still, why would it not do the same with MPC then?

I will try with the Red October presets sure. Currently I'm using a custom preset with LAV/madVR so that I have the exact same settings as with MPC-HC/BE (just an old habit, used to be the only way of accessing the LAV/madVR advanced settings while playing something in JRiver MC).

Just played back a video file slightly over 1h and 0 glitches with MPC. But earlier today I watched a 1h40 film in JRiver and had the stutter occur 2 times. Both files were 23.976 fps too, so fair comparison.

RD James

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 02:21:08 am »

No VideoClock, never needed it (and would rather not use it). I intend to try it and see if it makes any difference though. But still, why would it not do the same with MPC then?
Media Players have three options for video playback on a PC:
  • Play video and audio at their native rates, ensuring glitch-free playback, but allowing the two to drift out of sync over time.
  • Play audio at its native rate, dropping/repeating video frames as necessary to maintain sync if the two drift too far apart.
  • Resample audio to match the video clock, ensuring that the two remain in sync and there are no dropped frames or audio glitches.
#3 is what VideoClock does, and is the best option for playback on a HTPC.
As I understand it, dedicated playback devices tend to handle this differently by running both clocks off the same source so they cannot drift over time.

kalston

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 07:22:31 am »

Media Players have three options for video playback on a PC:
  • Play video and audio at their native rates, ensuring glitch-free playback, but allowing the two to drift out of sync over time.
  • Play audio at its native rate, dropping/repeating video frames as necessary to maintain sync if the two drift too far apart.
  • Resample audio to match the video clock, ensuring that the two remain in sync and there are no dropped frames or audio glitches.
#3 is what VideoClock does, and is the best option for playback on a HTPC.
As I understand it, dedicated playback devices tend to handle this differently by running both clocks off the same source so they cannot drift over time.

I understand that. But I never remember noticing any difference between Media Player Classic and JRiver on that regard (no Reclock and no VideoClock, same machine, same settings). My clocks have always been "good enough" for 3h of playback and I have had no hardware change for a while. It's possible that my clocks have changed quite a bit with the nvidia driver updates and whatnot though (I'm not using a custom resolution by the way, my monitor does 120, 144hz etc. natively). Never had any noticeable A/V sync issues, short of badly ripped files or blatant software bugs.

Tested 3 things :
Custom settings + smooth motion forced on : same stutter
Red October Standard: same stutter
Custom settings, smooth motion disabled but VideoClock enabled: I'll have to test again and watch closely but that seemed smoother, however madVR reported "presentation glitches" instead of "dropped frames" around the same timeframe as before

I'll do more testing, I have a handful of 24fps blu-rays I can test too which should be interesting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up