INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA on Win10 box - TV not showing up  (Read 2259 times)

jakoboutzen

• Recent member
DLNA on Win10 box - TV not showing up
« on: April 21, 2019, 02:07:28 pm »

Im fairly new to MC and just installed MC 25.0.24 (64bit)
I have read and followed guides in wiki and also here from the forum - configuring DLNA server. I have 2 different tv's i want to stream music to, however they are not showing up in the panel (under Playing now). Both tv's are only connected to my LAN via Chromecast wifi.

I have set up another machine - linux mint with MC 25, incl. BubbleUPNP and this setup works fine. I can see and stream to both the tv's. The linux box is on the same LAN - and like my win machine - is connected with netw cables to my local firewall. When the linux machine is online my windows machine is also able to se my tv's and streaming works fine, however when I turn linux off, the windows box cannot see any of the tv's.
Suspect this must be a windows problem - have tried to disconnect win defender firewall, however no effect

I would like to set up my windows machine so it does not depend on the linux box for connections to dlna clients on my network (is that = dlna renderes?)
Any help appreciated :-)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DLNA on Win10 box - TV not showing up
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 06:00:04 pm »

Search the forum for how people use Chromecast with MC. Chromecast isn't DLNA. DLNA isn't Chromecast.

BubbleUPnP can see and play to both DLNA and Chromecast devices, which is why that works. Note the icons are different in BubbleUPnP for DLNA and Chromecast clients. Your TVs probably supports both, if recent models. My 2015 Sony shows up in BUPnP as both. If you had your TVs on proper WiFi, which I assume you don't based on what you said, then the TVs would probably appear as available DLNA Renderers. But I don't use "Chromecast WiFi", so I'm not sure what that exactly means. Can the TVs browse the internet with that connection?

I'm not sure why/how having your Linux box running makes the TVs visible to the Windows box. I assume you are actually playing to the Linux box in that case, which is passing it along to the TVs.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 10:55:52 am »

to see your TV as DLNA renderer/client ... your TV must be connected to network:
1. TV directly connects via LAN cable to network
2. TV connected through its internal wifi
3. TV connects via LAN calble to wifi access point that in turns connects to network

Chromecast is not wifi access pont ... and while it connects to wifi ... it does not “share” that connection with TV

kinda like if you connect AppleTV to TV via hdmi, and AppleTV is connected to network via LAN cable ... AppleTV is connected to network, but TV is not

BubbleUPnP ... as you say, can cast to Chromecasts ... hence it can present them as renderers ... so from win machine it looks like you streaming/seeing TV, when in fact you see/stream to Chromecast via BubbleUPnP ... turn BubbleUPnP (linux machine) off, Chromecasts dissapear

to truly see TV as renderers (assuming your TV support it) ... TV must be connected to network
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

jakoboutzen

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 02:27:23 pm »

Thks tij & RoderickGI
I had the impression that MC should be able to connect directly to chromecast on my win 10 box ... and yes - also thought that Chromecast was a DLNA renderer .. so thanks for clrearing that up :-)

I have now configured wifi settings on one of the tv's - and it is now showing up in MC. Guess I need to buy a usb-wifi dongle for my second tv (no wifi), as this whole exercise is also about avoiding having to lay cables around my entire apartment :-)

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 07:51:51 am »

google use its own protocol for streaming ... like apple uses AirPlay ... i dont think MC support google Casting or apple AirPlay as there is probably licencing fee involved

there are workarounds ... but need dedicated machine to stay always on to provide those workaround (like bubbleupnp) ... rogue amoeba is nice solution but it aint free and its only for music
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 10:20:54 am »

Im fairly new to MC and just installed MC 25.0.24 (64bit)
I have read and followed guides in wiki and also here from the forum - configuring DLNA server. I have 2 different tv's i want to stream music to, however they are not showing up in the panel (under Playing now). Both tv's are only connected to my LAN via Chromecast wifi.

I have set up another machine - linux mint with MC 25, incl. BubbleUPNP and this setup works fine. I can see and stream to both the tv's. The linux box is on the same LAN - and like my win machine - is connected with netw cables to my local firewall. When the linux machine is online my windows machine is also able to se my tv's and streaming works fine, however when I turn linux off, the windows box cannot see any of the tv's.
Suspect this must be a windows problem - have tried to disconnect win defender firewall, however no effect

I would like to set up my windows machine so it does not depend on the linux box for connections to dlna clients on my network (is that = dlna renderes?)
Any help appreciated :-)

My TV does not show up as a renderer in MC but the TV can see MC as a server.  Just a design choice by the TV manufacturer.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 05:54:43 pm »

My TV does not show up as a renderer in MC but the TV can see MC as a server.  Just a design choice by the TV manufacturer.

Probably not. What TV Make/Model do you have?

I have found that if I have more than one Zone set up in MC, my TV doesn't show up as a DLNA Renderer. If I delete the extra Zones, the TV shows up.

Try it yourself and report back, if you would. Backup your Library, delete any extra Zones, and see if the TV shows up. Add one Zone back, and see if the TV vanishes. Restore the backup, and see what happens.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 07:07:04 pm »

You could also try for your second tv if you have a Blu Ray or playstation available you could use them as DLNA renderers connected to the TV.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 09:52:47 am »

Probably not. What TV Make/Model do you have?

I have found that if I have more than one Zone set up in MC, my TV doesn't show up as a DLNA Renderer. If I delete the extra Zones, the TV shows up.

Try it yourself and report back, if you would. Backup your Library, delete any extra Zones, and see if the TV shows up. Add one Zone back, and see if the TV vanishes. Restore the backup, and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried it and still did not see the TV (TCL 43" 4K model from 2016.)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 05:10:17 pm »

I tried it and still did not see the TV (TCL 43" 4K model from 2016.)

Is that the 43P6US, Series P 43 inch P6 UHD Smart TV?

If so, the manual isn't brilliant, but I would assume from it that the TV should show up as a Renderer. Did you give it a couple of minutes? It does take a while for MC to discover DLNA devices. Maybe a restart of MC would speed that up, but it isn't necessary in my case.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2019, 07:03:57 pm »

And/or download the DMRA from my sig, and see if that can find the TV. And if so please post the renderer report.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2019, 09:55:43 pm »

Is that the 43P6US, Series P 43 inch P6 UHD Smart TV?

If so, the manual isn't brilliant, but I would assume from it that the TV should show up as a Renderer. Did you give it a couple of minutes? It does take a while for MC to discover DLNA devices. Maybe a restart of MC would speed that up, but it isn't necessary in my case.

TCL 43UP130 43-Inch 4K Ultra HD Roku Smart LED TV (2016 Model)

Earlier today, I turned the TV on and then started MC 24 on my personal PC.  I removed all but one zone and exited MC.  I restarted it. After a minute or so, I looked at the list of output devices under Playing Now.  It showed output devices on another PC but did not show the TCL TV.

I repeated the experiment just now.  After I started MC, I watched the list under Playing Now.  After a minute, the output devices on another PC running MC showed up.  5 minutes later the TCL TV has not shown up on the list.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2019, 10:27:20 pm »

And/or download the DMRA from my sig, and see if that can find the TV. And if so please post the renderer report.

The DMRA did not show the TCL TV in the list of renderers.  MC on another PC was shown in the list of renderers.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2019, 11:22:09 pm »

Was the last Zone you left on the PC the default "Player" Zone? That may make a difference.

I have to tick the "Use Windows Discovery" checkbox for DMRA to find my TV. Though it isn't working at the moment... Neither is the MC installation on my Workstation...

Try the free version of BubbleUPnP on your phone (or mConnect Player Lite if you are on iOS) and see if it sees the TV. BubbleUPnP and mConnect Player Lite (on Android) seem to find everything pretty well... Actually, neither BubbleUPnP or mConnect Player Lite are seeing my TV at the moment, and I have no idea why. It is turned on, on the network... DLNA is a frustrating technology...

A reboot of the TV had it re-appeared in the Apps, so that may be necessary for any testing. Mine is an Android TV, which may have been the issue here. DMRA sees the TV now as well, as does the MC installation on my Workstation, where there is only one Zone, the default Player Zone. But not my HTPC, which has multiple Zones.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2019, 02:08:37 am »

Was the last Zone you left on the PC the default "Player" Zone? That may make a difference.

I have to tick the "Use Windows Discovery" checkbox for DMRA to find my TV. Though it isn't working at the moment... Neither is the MC installation on my Workstation...

Try the free version of BubbleUPnP on your phone (or mConnect Player Lite if you are on iOS) and see if it sees the TV. BubbleUPnP and mConnect Player Lite (on Android) seem to find everything pretty well... Actually, neither BubbleUPnP or mConnect Player Lite are seeing my TV at the moment, and I have no idea why. It is turned on, on the network... DLNA is a frustrating technology...

A reboot of the TV had it re-appeared in the Apps, so that may be necessary for any testing. Mine is an Android TV, which may have been the issue here. DMRA sees the TV now as well, as does the MC installation on my Workstation, where there is only one Zone, the default Player Zone. But not my HTPC, which has multiple Zones.

I appreciate your suggestions for experiments.  However, I don't have a need for the TV as renderer, I don't want to keep performing experiments at present.  As I described in another post, the Whitebear DMRA tool doesn't see the TV as a renderer either.  That's clear enough for me.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2019, 05:03:55 am »

Is the TV’s IP Address static or DHCP?

Andrew has found that often times DLNA network devices need to have addresses assigned via the relevant router to work reliably.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2019, 10:30:17 am »

If the DMRA also did not find the TV as a renderer, then the issue is obviously nothing to do with MC. ..

So there are two possibilities, either a) the TV is not a renderer, or b) you have routing or firewall problem.

In the latter case you need to ensure that there is no firewall on your PC that might be blocking incoming HTTP requests from the TV, and you also need to ensure that the TV has an IP address assigned by your router, that is on the same subnet as the router and your PC, and that the router is capable of routing traffic between the two.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2019, 08:13:54 pm »

I don't want to keep performing experiments at present.

That's okay. I was just (selfishly) trying to gather more data points or examples of the issue that I am seeing, where MC doesn't see my TV DLNA Renderer when there are more than one Zones set up.

I also don't really need my TV to be a DLNA Renderer at the moment. But I am thinking about future uses for a standalone TV in another room. I want to know it will work before considering that.

Carry on!  8)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2019, 12:02:12 am »

That's okay. I was just (selfishly) trying to gather more data points or examples of the issue that I am seeing, where MC doesn't see my TV DLNA Renderer when there are more than one Zones set up.

Thanks for bringing it up.  We'll see what we can find.
Pages: [1]   Go Up