INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Subtitles selection and display with DLNA renderer does not work  (Read 2717 times)

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
  • Music and Audio enthusiast

I am upping this issue which I posted some months ago in the MC23 forum, in the DLNA section. I am now using MC 25 but still does not work.

I am trying to display subtitles by a DLNA renderer (Oppo BD-105). In the server I set Subtitles Mode as 'Always show subtitles' ( I tried all modes with no joy) and in DLNA advance options I enabled 'present subtitles'

I am quoting this https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Subtitles

You can set subtitles in one of following ways:

1. If a menu exists (DVD), you can use it. At this time, Blu-ray playback has no menu.

2. While viewing a movie, you can use the OSD (On Screen Display). The controls that operate this are the arrow keys on a remote or a keyboard. Use up arrow or down arrow to move through the available settings, and left or right arrow to change them.

3. While viewing a movie, right-click and use the 'Subtitles' menu.

I cannot make option 3 working: I play a move, I right click the movie but I cannot see any menu
can I automatically force to load subtitles, e.g. if I play the movie a.mkv, load a subtitle file named a.srt?

Obviously DLNA does not have an OSD display

The Playback Info tag looks correct as

(1:1)(9:Subtitles)(63:SRT [A.Star.Is.Born.1954.1080p.BluRay.x264.VPPV_OS_Italian.srt])

Please help
Stereo:
DAW: Fanless Case Streatcon 7 with MSI A97I mobo, 2 x 8G RAM (Hynix) with Intel I5 CPU.
NAS: QNAP TS-531 with 5x4TB HDDs
DAC/ADC: RME ADI2 PRO
Speakers (active): 2 x ATC SCM50ASL
Subs (active): 2 x REL 528 Signature

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Subtitles selection and display with DLNA renderer does not work
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 09:07:39 pm »

Option 3 isn't going to work, because it is refering to a MC display of a movie, and you are displaying the movie on your DLNA Renderer, the Oppo BD-105.

As I said before:
if your DLNA Renderer is capable of turning on and presenting Subtitles, try turning them on and see if that works. You will have to work out how to do that on your DLNA Renderer.

You need to get into the Oppo setup, and tell it to display the Subtitles. Display or not of Subtitles is all under the control of the Oppo, once MC sends the Subtitles to it. MC no longer has any control.

I assume you mean the BDP-105. Which variant, as the later models are obviously more capable. The BDP-105D?

The manual for the BDP-105D includes 57 references to "Subtitle". But it doesn't say much about DLNA, or whether the BDP-105D is capable of displaying Subtitles provided via DLNA. You are the expert on this. Does the Oppo display Subtitles provided via DLNA? Have there been firmware updates that add Subtitle capabilities?

Maybe just pressing the Subtitle button on the Oppo remote control would turn them on?
Maybe you should download and run AndrewFG's Digital Media Renderer Analyser (DMRA) against the Oppo and see what it is capable of? If you do, submit the report so that all other users can check what the Oppo can do. Unfortunately, I don't think DMRA checks for Subtitle rendering capabilties, but it might for an Oppo.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 10:13:29 pm »

Echo Roderick here. I tried every combination MC combination possible for my renderer (back then it was a Sony BR) and nothing worked until I actually realised I had to tell the BR to display subtitles. Bingo, up she came.

Having said that I have also found that some files just flat out refused to stream subtitles no matter what I tried. They will show locally in MC but will not stream. This would be  combination of the file type and renderer capability. I'm not sure if transcoding effects subtitle capability at all but might be worth converting the format if nothing else works.

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 04:51:02 am »

Thank you both for your informative post. I will move my attention to the oppo and I'll let you (and to any oppo user) know.
Just a piece of more information: I am able SOMETIMES to view subtitles with the Oppo via DLNA but I did not find a deterministic behaviour yet (so I am excòuding that displaying subtitles is disabled on the Oppo side
Stereo:
DAW: Fanless Case Streatcon 7 with MSI A97I mobo, 2 x 8G RAM (Hynix) with Intel I5 CPU.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 05:13:45 am »

That is a rather important piece of information.

If Subtitles sometimes work on the Oppo, and sometimes do not, then I would agree that the Oppo probably has Subtitles turned on.

So you should focus on the video formats MC is sending to the Oppo, and whether MC is converting the video for display on the Oppo or not. Either the Oppo displays Subtitles for certain formats, or maybe it works when MC is converting them, or when MC is not converting them. You should look at the file/stream format MC is sending to the Oppo. Maybe Subtitles always work with TS stream formats. Maybe it only works with MP4 files, or maybe never with MKV files.

Or possibly when the Oppo itself is doing something different when it receives different file/stream formats.

It would be worth running the DMRA to see what formats the Oppo supports, as that may define when MC converts the video, depending on your MC DLNA settings (Original, Specified output format, Specified output format only when necessary). Perhaps set MC to "Specified output format" to force conversion, and then try a few formats to see which work, if any. "MPEG2-TS 1080p AutoFPS" and "H264-TS 1080p AutoFPS" would be my obvious choices to try. I think AndrewFG has made a comment about formats that support Subtitles over DLNA in the past. You may be able to find such a comment.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 05:15:54 am »

I think this is the post I was recalling. Not helpful for the user at the time.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,108655.msg752577.html#msg752577

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 05:56:40 am »

If Subtitles sometimes work on the Oppo, and sometimes do not, then I would agree that the Oppo probably has Subtitles turned on.
Or that the subtitles are burned into the video image.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2019, 06:09:19 am »

Or that the subtitles are burned into the video image.

Good point.

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 01:26:59 pm »

Thank you both for your informative post. I will move my attention to the oppo and I'll let you (and to any oppo user) know.
Just a piece of more information: I am able SOMETIMES to view subtitles with the Oppo via DLNA but I did not find a deterministic behaviour yet (so I am excòuding that displaying subtitles is disabled on the Oppo side
On my Oppo 203 if I want to view subtitles while watch a DLNA stream I press the subtitle button on the Oppo remote, then I get a pop-up on screen allowing me to choose which subtitle stream I want to view.

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 07:25:36 am »

Thank you so much. I will try. Maybe the 105 is implementing a older version of DLNA and sadly Oppo does not update the 105 any longer
Stereo:

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 03:56:17 am »

Maybe the 105 is implementing a older version of DLNA ...

No. (..it implements the same version of DLNA as everybody else does..)

... and anyway, as others in this thread have explained, your issue is not about DLNA but rather about a) whether MC includes the subtitles in the stream (apparently it does), or b) what setting you need to press on your Oppo to have it display them ..

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2019, 03:58:33 am »

Ok, I see subtitles are enable anywhere in my 105D (both pressing the ... button in the remote (I got a 'forbidden icon on the screen) and from the oppo setup menu. The Playback info tag seems correct, tough I still cannot see subtitles
Stereo:
Pages: [1]   Go Up