INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Online TV Guide Integration?  (Read 3441 times)

Osho

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Online TV Guide Integration?
« on: May 13, 2003, 10:12:33 pm »

Hi,

I am beginning to really like Media Center 9's TV capabilities. I would like to use it for all my TV watching; however I am finding that lack of a Online TV Guide is a hurdle. Anyone has had success with any inegration with Online TV information integration? (like http://www.titantv.com or any stand alone program?).

I have ATI's Guide Plus which works well with ATI's TV program. I have audio-video synch problems with ATI's TV viewer; which I don't have with Media Center 9 - so I would really appreciate any suggestions for online TV guide integration for MC9.

thanks,
Osho

LisaRCT

Re: Online TV Guide Integration?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2003, 06:28:48 am »

This alreday exists . . .
go to the TV window, and above the internal view window there is a 'pull-down' menu offerring:
Display
Introduction
TV Guide
Yahoo TV

These will give you the web based TV guide you seek

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2003, 06:50:08 am »

go to the TV window, and above the internal view window there is a 'pull-down' menu offerring:
Display
Introduction
TV Guide
Yahoo TV

well i think the user is more refering to is push an item on the screen and have it record.

This would be nice.

but i think what would be nice is if MC9 can grab the gide info that is on My Tvio 2 and use that to program my Tivo, it also would be nice if it could use that info to interface with my ATI TV.

and also

To allow Tivo to stream on my network to my Computer
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio, Music
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2003, 07:15:22 am »

I haven't used it, but DabDig is supposed to work.

http://www.spidersweb.freeserve.co.uk/dab/dabdig.htm

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2003, 12:02:52 pm »

Here is how it works (as I understand):

1. Download and install DigiGuide
http://www.digiguide.com/

2. Download DabDig (see link posted by Jim).

3. Unzip DabDig package into DigiGuilde installation folder.

4. Run DabDig.vbe, which will attempt to detect available programs, including Media Center. This will also create a configuration file DabDig.ini.

5. Edit DabDig.ini and make sure all entries starting with USE are off except USEJRIVERMEDIAJUKEBOX which should be on (=1).

6. Make sure DEFAULTEXTENSION is changed from mp2 to AVI (or WMV).

7. Run DigiGuide and select a program to schedule recording, right-click on it and select "Record using DabDig".

DabDig tries to write correct information into registry. It fails if a required registry key does not exist. You can make sure the keys exist by manually schedule a show in Media Scheduler. The actually scheduling (writing into registry key) happens a few minutes before scheduled start time.

I have experienced quite a few failed scheduling. The author of DabDig stated that working with Media Jukebox/Media Center is still at an experimental stage.

Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2003, 12:18:20 pm »

Um... wouldn't it be better for JRiver to integrate some sort of program guide into MC rather than rely on some third party program that's currently experimental?

This would seem to me to be a very important addition given that MC is now a competing product for TiVo.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2003, 12:44:22 pm »

Isn't digiguide commercial now.  I thought it was about $20 a year.  Why not use an EPG and XMLTV like myHTPC does?  Its free and it allows TV Guides for the whole of the world just about...

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2003, 12:44:25 pm »

My vote for MC integration goes to... DigiGuide!
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2003, 12:59:13 pm »

Here is how it works (as I understand):

1. Download and install DigiGuide
http://www.digiguide.com/

2. Download DabDig (see link posted by Jim).

3. Unzip DabDig package into DigiGuilde installation folder.

4. Run DabDig.vbe, which will attempt to detect available programs, including Media Center. This will also create a configuration file DabDig.ini.

5. Edit DabDig.ini and make sure all entries starting with USE are off except USEJRIVERMEDIAJUKEBOX which should be on (=1).

6. Make sure DEFAULTEXTENSION is changed from mp2 to AVI (or WMV).

7. Run DigiGuide and select a program to schedule recording, right-click on it and select "Record using DabDig".

DabDig tries to write correct information into registry. It fails if a required registry key does not exist. You can make sure the keys exist by manually schedule a show in Media Scheduler. The actually scheduling (writing into registry key) happens a few minutes before scheduled start time.

I have experienced quite a few failed scheduling. The author of DabDig stated that working with Media Jukebox/Media Center is still at an experimental stage.

I understand this will work for recording.

How about live play? I would like to see a online guide and click on a program I want to watch and it should automagically tune to that channel and play it full screen. Is it possible to do that?

thanks,
Osho

DocLotus

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2003, 01:50:32 pm »

I want that too!

That is something I really miss about not using the ATI TV tuner software with Guide Plus.  It was very well integrated to work together.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2003, 10:41:09 am »

Display
Introduction
TV Guide
Yahoo TV

I like this TV Guide and Yahoo TV web links. I wish however:

1) When I click on it - they will go the TV listings link on those page rather than homepage for those.
2) There was a way to add your own personal web mark there.

Both of these can be achieved if it was possible to edit the website corresponding to those addresses.

Any way to do it?

thanks,
Osho

LisaRCT

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2003, 02:12:02 pm »

I want that too!

That is something I really miss about not using the ATI TV tuner software with Guide Plus.  It was very well integrated to work together.

The 'GuidePlus' feature included with ATi cards is well integrated into their software, but I found the information about the shows to be lacking.
I prefer the TV Guide and Yahoo TV sites for their info, but they lack any real degree of integration.

DocLotus

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2003, 08:19:14 am »

...Just got the following e-mail from DigiGuide...

"We regret to inform you of the suspension of our United States service.

Sadly, due to the lack of interest in our service in the United States combined with huge supplier costs, it is no longer economical to support the service at this time.

The service will cease being updated as of today, Friday May 16th 2003. But we are confident that in the near future we will again be able to resume the service.
"

All I can say is RATS!

DigiGuide was simply the very best TV guide type of program out there.

I don't know what I'm going to do now for a TV guide type of program.

sraymond

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2003, 01:01:31 pm »

1) When I click on it - they will go the TV listings link on those page rather than homepage for those.
2) There was a way to add your own personal web mark there.

Both of these are customizable.

Straight from the help file:

TV Channel web Page

Insert the web page of a TV Channel, then you can easily switch between watching the TV channel, and viewing its web site.

Go to Options, select a channel, and click on Modify

Enter a URL.

When you watch the channel, right-click and select Display | TV or Display | web.

You can also switch between the two modes by clicking on the arrows in the Display Status bar. If the bar is hidden, simply hover the mouse on the display area.

But be careful if the following applies to you:

OK...  I've got it figured out.  It's either a bug or an undocumented "feature".  I don't use MC to tune the channels - rather I use my VCR.  And the problem is with input sources vice tuner channels.

I was trying to apply the URL to an input source vice a tuner channel.  In the registry, the input source prefixes "Input source" to the URL that's stored in the Media Jukebox|Properties|TV Channel key related to the channel name.

I added a tuner channel and the URL works fine...  meaning I just can't associate a URL to my input source (VCR).  This is compounded by the inability to add websites to the "TV View Websites" key.  

While this is minor, I'd still call it a bug...  and hopefully others will gain from my experience.  Might this get fixed in the short term?

JRiver:  I never got a reply on my thread http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1051763944;start=2#2.  Is this a recognized bug or an undocumented feature?

Scott-
Pages: [1]   Go Up