INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When playing all albums by an artist, album tracks are now interleaved  (Read 995 times)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient

In a view displaying music by artists, when I press play on an artist with two albums MC 25.0.37 now plays track one of one album, then track one of the second album, then track two of the first album, then track two of the second album and so on.  Previously (I don't know when the change happened), MC would play one album in full, then the other album in full, which seems less surprising.  To rule out something idiosyncratic, I tried testing with several different views, on Linux and Windows, and on clients and servers, and saw the problem all places.  I also tried 25.0.40 and didn't see any change.

Can anyone else confirm whether they're seeing this behavior?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

I just tried this on Win10 with several albums under one artist, and it worked as expected.

DJLegba

Can anyone else confirm whether they're seeing this behavior?

Yes, I see this. Windows 64-bit 25.040

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

How is Playing Now sorted?  (Numbers on the header)  Mine is sorted only by Seq#.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

It should use whatever order the list you start playback from is sorted in.  If it's not separating by album, that's the problem.  Just try working on the sorting.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

DJLegba

It should use whatever order the list you start playback from is sorted in.  If it's not separating by album, that's the problem.  Just try working on the sorting.

Play shuffled albums (in track order) keeps the albums together, and if I wanted to play all albums by a particular artist I'd probably choose this option anyway. But I really don't see how I'd order the list as you've suggested. The Artists list is sorted alphabetically. Within that the Albums view is sorted by date, and albums are sorted by track number.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

Matt this is from a categories view with the selected category order being "Artist" in the first position (or "Album Artist(auto)" I see this with both views) then "Albums" in the second position.  If I hover over the artist thumbnail and click "files" on the thumbnail instead of "play" it shows me the tracks separated by album in the correct order in the file viewing pane at the bottom of the screen.  It's only when I click play and the tracks are sent to playing now that the tracks become interleaved.   FWIW, I haven't made any changes to my file views, they've been the same for a few years.

How is Playing Now sorted?  (Numbers on the header)  Mine is sorted only by Seq#.

Jim, my playing now is also only sorted by Seq#.  After sending the albums to playing now, I can manually change the sort so that albums are ordered correctly in playing now, but as soon as I play something that clears playing now my sort order gets flushed and it's back to Seq#

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

Ok weird.  So when I view the file pane under the artist, I see all the tracks sorted by album and track number within albums (i.e. in the correct order) and no column headers in the file view have a sorting notation next to them.  If I manually enable sort columns, the notation appears.  Choosing to sort within groups, and putting "album" in the first sort position and "track #" in the second sort position the visible order of the tracks does not change at all in the file view (same grouping as before I set any columns), but when I press play the tracks are now correctly sent to playing now grouped by album and in track order, but the albums themselves are in a different order than was displayed (they are displayed in date order, but get sent alpha by album)!  More interesting, if I navigate away and come back, the column headers in that file view no longer show any sorting notation, but when I press play the tracks still get sent to playing now in the last used (but invisible) sort order. 

So there are two issues here, the file view isn't showing the column header sort notation by default in certain levels of category view for some reason, and the file view isn't reliably showing the results of that hidden sort, so the files are getting sent to playing now in an unexpected order.  I suspect this is an issue with "grouping" in the file view, and that grouping isn't being taken into account when sending files to playing now.  If I disable grouping temporarily in the file view, the displayed file order is exactly what gets sent to playing now.

In any case, for anyone seeing this issue the short term workaround is to set "sort inside groups" to default (or however you'd prefer); that still won't necessarily send the albums in the displayed order, but tracks are sent to playing now in track order by album at least.
Pages: [1]   Go Up