INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA output format  (Read 2637 times)

abax2000

• Recent member
DLNA output format
« on: June 06, 2019, 12:09:32 pm »

The only workable choice is "Generic DLNA", Mode="Original".
All PCM options (4 of them) not working. That is valid both for local files and streaming (Internet Radio).
All other settings at defaults.
Setup is extremely simple: laptop to Samsung soundbar MS750 via wifi.

Is there anything that could help to get PCM output?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DLNA output format
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 08:37:31 pm »

I suggest you download the DMRA from my sig, run the test against the Soundbar, and post the renderer report here.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

abax2000

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 02:16:17 am »

I suggest you download the DMRA from my sig, run the test against the Soundbar, and post the renderer report here.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 03:14:29 am »

Ok. Two things..

1) Concerning your original question: the renderer does support PCM. In MC you should try Always Convert to PCM No Header (L16) which should give the best performance. However PCM with Header (WAV) should also work. (And it apparently also supports Original formats Flac, AIFF, and ALAC which are also kinds of PCM..)

2) Notwithstanding the above, the renderer reported an error when playing the test track; so you have something wrong with your player or the network environment. The error related to event subscriptions, so the first thing you should do is right click on the renderer in MC and select Ignore Transport Events. This might fix your problem, but if it does not, please report back, since there are other things you could eventually try.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm

abax2000

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 09:12:42 am »

Local files
PCM No Header (L16) not working. Both with Specified or Specified if necessary. That is both for mp3 and flac files.
No messages appear; just no sound.
Streaming
Radio Paradise plays only with Original. Radio JRiver not playing with neither (although yesterday did with Original). Rest do not even look for DLNA; go directly to std windows speakers.
Playlists (with internet radio stations)
Hugely mixed bag. Some play with both. But seems that only ones that stream mp3 and preferably up to 192. Other formats (flac, ogg, mp3@320 etc) not accessible with neither setting.

For Streaming and Playlist failures there is the usual popup sequence "There is a problem controlling the selected DLNA device...." etc.

Note: the "Ignore Transport Events" (along with the other two available DLNA controller settings, have been tested. It seems like they make no difference (either for bad or good).

abax2000

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 09:23:52 am »

The problem is that the renderers state change notifications (transport events) are not getting through. There are three possible causes..
1) the renderer is not sending any notifications (in which case the Ignore Transport Events setting in MC might ameliorate it),
2) the client PC has a firewall that is blocking incoming HTTP calls (in which case change the firewall settings to allow MC.exe to receive incoming HTTP calls), or
3) the router is not routing those calls properly (this may be because the renderer and MC have IP addresses that are on different subnets than the router is able to route, in which case make sure that both client and renderer are getting their IP addresses from the router via DHCP reservations)

Point 3 is ok.
Point 2 is ok (as far as I can tell from firewall rules. Made sure that Extenders are also allowed - although I do not know if it relevant)
Point1 - "Ignore Transport Events" does not seem to have an impact.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 05:45:38 pm »

Excerpt from the DMRA report below..

“HTTP User Agent (client)=??
Play test file result=Play failed => Command "SetAVTransportURI" failed / Subscribe error”

abax2000

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2019, 07:11:15 am »

Is there something that I have to try?

BTW, while investigating something similar for an updated component of a different media player, I saw that the player tries to send a L16 as:
ContentFeatures.dlna.org: DLNA.ORG_PN=LPCM;DLNA.ORG_FLAGS=01000000000000000000000000000000
while the declared format is:
http-get:*:audio/L16:DLNA.ORG_PN=LPCM;DLNA.ORG_FLAGS=8D100000000000000000000000000000

Don't know if the difference in flags can be a problem, don't know also if this can be relevant to JRiver problem.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2019, 05:05:45 pm »

I doubt the flags have anything to do with your problem.

As I said before, the issue is to do with event subscriptions. Ignoring the events ought to solve the problem. But in your case apparently it did not, so there may be some other reason why your PC is not seeing event notifications — this is probably due to a firewall or av software blocking incoming HTTP traffic to your PC, so make sure that your firewall, av software, and router are all configured to allow HTTP incoming calls to your PC.

If that does not work, then you have a routing problem. Most likely because either the PC or the renderer are on different sub-nets than what your router is set to refer. In this case make sure that both renderer and PC are getting their IP addresses via DHCP (auto) from the router. And also make sure that the IP addresses are reserved for each respective device..

abax2000

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2019, 11:45:27 pm »

Please check attachments if settings are correct.
Still I cannot figure out why with the same settings foobar has always been ok ?.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2019, 04:53:41 pm »

I don’t see anything wrong in your screenshots. But this does not mean that you don’t have some other av software that is blocking traffic. Nor does it show that both devices are on the same subnet a# the router..

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2019, 07:01:45 pm »

Note that very few Internet Streams will play from JRiver MC to a DLNA device. Radio Paradise, Radio Swiss Classic, Radio Swiss Jazz all work. Most other internet radio won't. Radio JRiver isn't working for me at present. I'm not sure I have had it working though. Cloudplay isn't working currently.

Basically, for a stream to play to a DLNA Renderer, it needs to be handled correctly by MC, and MC needs to recognise it as a stream, which generally means there is a popup message asking what to do with the stream, Play it, save it, etc. The streams that work have had special attention from JRiver.

You will find quite a few answers on the forum that just say "Internet streams wont play over DLNA". Mostly, it seems that is true.

Also, if you are making lots of changes to DLNA settings, MC can get "lost" as to what it is supposed to do with the output, losing connection to the Renderer, for example. MC can also change Zone away from the Renderer, if it temporarily loses site of it while applying setting changes. So check the Zone is still correct after changes, and if you think something should be working but isn't, restart MC, restart the Renderer, and maybe even restart the PC.

Your local files should play to the Soundbar though.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

abax2000

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 12:52:01 am »

I don’t see anything wrong in your screenshots. But this does not mean that you don’t have some other av software that is blocking traffic. Nor does it show that both devices are on the same subnet a# the router..
No other av software; only Defender.
And no subnets used.

abax2000

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2019, 01:08:20 am »

Note that very few Internet Streams will play from JRiver MC to a DLNA device. Radio Paradise, Radio Swiss Classic, Radio Swiss Jazz all work. Most other internet radio won't. Radio JRiver isn't working for me at present. I'm not sure I have had it working though. Cloudplay isn't working currently.

Basically, for a stream to play to a DLNA Renderer, it needs to be handled correctly by MC, and MC needs to recognise it as a stream, which generally means there is a popup message asking what to do with the stream, Play it, save it, etc. The streams that work have had special attention from JRiver.

You will find quite a few answers on the forum that just say "Internet streams wont play over DLNA". Mostly, it seems that is true.

Also, if you are making lots of changes to DLNA settings, MC can get "lost" as to what it is supposed to do with the output, losing connection to the Renderer, for example. MC can also change Zone away from the Renderer, if it temporarily loses site of it while applying setting changes. So check the Zone is still correct after changes, and if you think something should be working but isn't, restart MC, restart the Renderer, and maybe even restart the PC.

Your local files should play to the Soundbar though.
Disappointing news.
Radio Paradise works, but still unsuccessful  with Radio Swiss (keeps on coming from Windows speakers).
Internet radio is playing on windows speakers, but not all on DLNA (details in previous post).
Anyhow, your input explains what I see at my end also (especially the erratic playback of different radio streams).
As you say, local files are getting through to DLNA; only problem is that only "Original" audio mode is accepted.

Is there any plan to bring full DLNA functionality for internet streaming on MC?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2019, 03:05:36 am »

And no subnets used.

:) you obviously do not know what a subnet is.

.. so let’s try this another way: what is the IP address of your router? And the IP address of your renderer? And the IP address of the PC that is running MC?

abax2000

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2019, 04:59:18 am »

You can see all this in reply #9 attachment. Router is 192.168.1.1

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2019, 07:08:20 am »

abax2000,
AndrewFG is an expert in this area and not a member of JRiver's staff.  Please do him the favor of answering his questions so he doesn't have to dig for the information he needs.

Soundbar is 192.168.1.115

Laptop  192.168.1.198

DHCP allowed  192.168.1.2 to 254   (could be a smaller range)

Manual assignment also allowed (may allow conflicts)

Gateway is blank in DHCP configuration (problem?)

abax2000

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2019, 07:19:26 am »

I have provided feedback in pictures, so it would be faster to check and verify.
DHCP range is the std one. most probably for most routers with submask 255.255.255.0.
Manual assignment is used as Andrew recommendation (still from an older discussion, and repeated here). No conflicts can happen, since router excludes the explicit assignments from any auto assignment. Anyway, this can always can be easily confirmed from router app or any network monitoring app on Android.
Gateway is the router itself (192.168.1.1), as usually.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2019, 08:43:21 am »

No conflicts can happen, since router excludes the explicit assignments from any auto assignment.
I wouldn't count on that.  Why use your whole range for DHCP if you intend to do any manual assignments?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2019, 03:50:23 pm »

Is that manual assignment or the router's version of IP Address Reservation?

I can't tell from the image.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

abax2000

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2019, 09:15:16 am »

The network is fine.
And it functions ok with local files through JRiver, or anything from Foobar.
I just keep the last input from RoderickGI, about JRiver inability to handle web streaming properly.

As for the issue "original" .vs. LPCM, most probably has to do with some (obscure so far) renderer problems (which is why it accepts only "original").
Pages: [1]   Go Up