INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio data route from DLNA library to renderer via JRiver  (Read 1106 times)

Gio300ZX

• Junior Woodchuck
Audio data route from DLNA library to renderer via JRiver
« on: June 09, 2019, 02:55:49 am »

I have managed to confuse myself, probably by over-thinking an issue. When I use my PC/JRiver to "Send To" from a DLNA Library to a renderer (e.g. Sony TV network player), does this stream the data from the DLNA device to the PC for processing by JRiver and then to the Sony or does it "tell" the DLNA to send the data direct to the Sony?

And since the Sony can play audio from the DLNA, what are the pros/cons of using JRiver in this scenario? What (if any) are the implications for audio quality? (This is simply for using JRiver / external renderer to play music not video/TV.)

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Audio data route from DLNA library to renderer via JRiver
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 06:44:09 am »

You could read the wiki topic on DLNA, if you haven't.  There's lots more written about DLNA on the Internet.

If you use a DLNA Controller to play to a DLNA Renderer, the Renderer gets a list of files to play from the DLNA Server.  MC can do one or all of these functions.  MC can also convert formats when it is a DLNA Server.

Gio300ZX

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 10:01:44 am »

You could read the wiki topic on DLNA, if you haven't.  There's lots more written about DLNA on the Internet.
Thanks. I did and there is :)

In the case I describe, I'm not sure what role JRiver on my PC is playing. Neither the wiki nor the internet are illuminating here - other than saying JRiver can be setup to do anything :) The DLNA / UPNP device on my network is a Seagate Personal Cloud and that is where my music is stored (also on my PC but that's another story). Let me explain my confusion.

1.I start JRiver on my PC, select the album (on the DLNA device), select Send To (in this case, to Sony Bravia TV) and music plays on the TV.

2. or I use the Sony TV to browse the same DLNA device, choose the same album and play it?

Obviously in case 2, the Sony TV asks the DLNA device to send it the data stream directly. What happens in case 1? (Given I have made no changes to JRiver setup, just as it comes out of the box). Does the data go Seagate > PC > TV or does the DLNA Controller (JRiver on the PC) tell the renderer (TV) to get the files from the DLNA device (Seagate)?

My end goal is to understand this so I can setup my network devices and JRiver in the easiest to use way. This will be the subject of another post/plea for expert advice when I have been able to put the ducks in a good enough row for the question to make sense.

Thanks

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 04:49:28 pm »

There are three types of device in Upnp / DLNA — namely DMS digital media server, DMR digital media renderer, and CP control point.

When a CP “pushes” a track to a DMR, it is simply informing the DMR about the URL of a track on the DMS; the DMR fetches the track directly from the DMS, and plays it; and the CP has nothing more to do, so it could even be turned off.

Note that often MC is acting as both CP, DMS, and sometimes even DMR.

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Gio300ZX

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 05:57:27 am »

There are three types of device in Upnp / DLNA — namely DMS digital media server, DMR digital media renderer, and CP control point.

When a CP “pushes” a track to a DMR, it is simply informing the DMR about the URL of a track on the DMS; the DMR fetches the track directly from the DMS, and plays it; and the CP has nothing more to do, so it could even be turned off.

Note that often MC is acting as both CP, DMS, and sometimes even DMR.

Ah, right. Gotcha. The wiki infers that if you want to transcode (say the renderer doesn't read a format), then MC has to be the server (so it can be set to convert).

I also found this article https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/ca-academy/the-complete-guide-to-hifi-upnp-dlna-network-audio/ which helped my understanding (plus the guy rates JRiver :) ).

I think I understand enough to post my overall "how to" question but first I'll have a think and read the examples in the wiki.

Thanks for your help, gents.
Pages: [1]   Go Up