INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Misclassification of File Types BUG!  (Read 7553 times)

IDSmoker

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Misclassification of File Types BUG!
« on: April 01, 2003, 06:32:31 am »

Misclassification of File Types BUG

I've seen this bug/problem ever since I started using MC9, and have reported it a couple of times, but haven't heard if there are any plans to fix it before release...

Why do I find my Audible books classified as "Video"?  There is no visual component to the *.aa file type definition.

The last time I tried using MC9 to manage real Video files, I found several file types being classified as "Music" (don't recall which ones, since I gave up using the beta for video quite a while ago).

I've also seen several "Image" file types get classified as "Music" for some reason.

I would suggest that you either fix this problem before "releasing" MC9, or you give the user the ability to create their own definitions of Music/Image/Video in terms of file types

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Misclassification of File Types BUG!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2003, 07:13:49 am »

We can't fix problems we can't reproduce.

This may be a corrupt registry problem.

If you're comfortable with regedit, you may be able to fix it, even by deleting one of the MC registry keys.

nila

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2003, 07:18:31 am »

If it is a registry problem could we please have some instructions on how to fix it?

I'm also finding that MJ is classifying all my .m2v files as audio and my .avi ones too as well as some other files (this is when looking at the 'Media Type' column in MJ.

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2003, 07:20:47 am »

Yup i have the same problem, *.avi *.mpeg video files are considered as Audio files
Made in Portugal

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2003, 09:08:55 am »

If you right-click -> Library Tools -> Update Library (from tags -- always), does MC wise up?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Dopas

• Junior Woodchuck
  • MC rocks ... keep up your good work!
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2003, 09:14:22 am »

I would like to add something similar:
Is there a way for MC to differentiate between mp3 stored on file or streamed mp3's?
If you add a mp3 radio station, it looks like MC adds a new mp3 file with the link to the stream, this makes it impossible to differentiate bewteen streamed and non- streamed mp3's ...

Dom
Media Center 12.X/13.x
Handheld: IPOD 60GB, Creative Vision:M
Media Receiver: DLink DSM-320

nila

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2003, 09:25:54 am »

Nope it doesn't.

And this happens with most of my video files.
Also the bug of them all saying 0 for the duration yet it displays the duration the second I start playing them.
And dont forget the bug that means that my video files need to be double clicked in the playing now screen to get MJ to display them, otherwise it just sits there saying: Media Center cannot display visualisations ....(guessing that's also to do with it thinking it's audio).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2003, 09:30:51 am »

Please send one of the files to matt @ jriver.com (no spaces)

Also, let me know what version of WMP you have installed.

Thanks.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2003, 11:38:26 am »

And dont forget the bug that means that my video files need to be double clicked in the playing now screen to get MJ to display them, otherwise it just sits there saying: Media Center cannot display visualisations ....(guessing that's also to do with it thinking it's audio).

I'm experiencing this as well... sort of. In my case, the first file will play fine, and then MC stops and says "Waiting". If I double click on the file it's supposed to be playing, it plays just fine, and then stops again. If I hit next or prev, it starts playing fine as well. This only happens when WMP is being used as the playback engine.

I'm using WMP9.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2003, 11:56:44 am »

Another thing I just remebered that's been happening is that MEGA-ME doesn't resize video correctly. The video always just takes up the whole Playing Now display window, regardless of how it should be scaled. Full Screen scales it correctly.

nila

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2003, 11:21:40 pm »

Matt,

Is it seriously not happening on any of yours?
It's on ALL my .avi files, ALL my mpg, ALL my m2v. They're all classed as Media Type : Audio which is I'm guessing what's causing the bug with MJ not playing them and talking about it's visualisations not working instead.
The only ones it's not happening on are my .mov files

I'd post you one but my smallest one is 150 megs and I think that might just fill up your mailbox.

Media Center Registered 9.0.140 -- C:\Program Files\Media Center 9\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1666 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 586 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive H:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive I:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive J:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   chord.wav

Burning /  Drive I: LITE-ON  LTR-52246S         Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:52  MaxSpeed:52  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

WMP9 :)

RMB

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2003, 12:31:24 am »

Just adding a comment so that I can be informed of replies added to this topic.  I am interested since according to MC, I have NO Video files - yet I have .avi, .divx, .mpg, .mpeg files - all of which are supossedly Audio, but should be Video.

I also tried update library from tags, but it did not help.

I look forward to having them correctly identified without my current addition which filters by filetype.
RMB

10sne1

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2003, 04:24:28 am »

Same thing happens with me.  I have one mpeg file which is correctly identified as video--but my avi files are classified as Audio files.  

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2003, 04:52:31 am »

What version of WMP is everybody running?

10sne1

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2003, 05:37:19 am »

WMP V. 9.00.00.2980

IDSmoker

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2003, 06:10:49 am »

Q & A
<snip>
This may be a corrupt registry problem.

If you're comfortable with regedit, you may be able to fix it, even by deleting one of the MC registry keys.

I wouldn't have a problem using regedit to fix this problem, but it looks like the problem may be widespread enough (using the rule that for every person who posts a problem to the internet, there's probably 5 or more with the same problem who can't/won't post), that you may want to consider a more user-friendly solution.

If you right-click -> Library Tools -> Update Library (from tags -- always), does MC wise up?

Update Library has no affect on this problem.

Please send one of the files to matt @ jriver.com (no spaces)

Also, let me know what version of WMP you have installed.

If you are looking for one of the misclassified files, ask Jim to share one of the Audible files I sent him on a iPod-related issue.

I'm using the most recent release of WMP (running XP Pro, I've enabled all of the "auto update" functions).

A Suggestion...
I realize that at this point in the development cycle, you really don't want to add any more functions/features to the code, but I think you may want to consider giving the user the ability to define the classification of each file type.  

If this problem is caused by corrupt registry entries, then this solution would provide even complete newbies a way to fix the problem.

Just a thought.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2003, 06:17:08 am »

What version of WMP?  "most recent release" doesn't help.

matshif

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2003, 06:59:51 am »

Hi
I wrote about this in the top thread. I thought that maybe this problem was related to the build but then I found this thread. I have  WMP V. 9.00.00.2980.

/Mats

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2003, 07:28:47 am »

Will be fixed next build.  WMP 9 changed how it does certain things...

nila

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2003, 07:45:34 am »

On the file classification note,
I dont know if it's a big task or not, I dont think it is which is the only reason I'm asking.
Could MJ's integration into explorer (file types) be sorted a bit so it'd at the very least say:
MJ Audio File, MJ Playlist File, MJ Video File, MJ Image File
instead of just MJ File type thing.
Seperate icons would be VERY nice while your all making all these new icons :)

Pretty please? For all of us that use Explorer a lot it's a REAL pain and although we can do it manually in explorer there's not much point when we're installing new builds daily.

Pretty please? I'm sure this is a point that any of the websites/magazines/etc will pick up on too and I'd hate to see MJ get rated 4.5 instead of 5 for something so trivial. :)

matshif

yRe: Misclassification of File Types BUG!
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2003, 03:50:33 pm »

Well not changed in .141 build, still only the sound from .mpg .mpeg .wmv .asf and they are located under Audio in Media Library:'(

My .mov file, I have only one, is playing as a video.

WMP 9.00.00.2980

Media Center Registered 9.0.141 -- C:\Program\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1  (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 1396 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 86 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpclient.010817-1148 ) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000 (xpclient.010817-1148 ) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: SAMSUNG  CD-R/RW SW-408B    Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:4  MaxSpeed:8  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: Yes /  Normalization: None

/Mats

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2003, 05:03:14 pm »

The problems I reported are still present as well.

nila

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2003, 10:50:34 pm »

I also have the same problem still. All video is being called audio.
All durations are still also being displayed as 0:00 and video playback in general is resulting in MJ doing some VERY dodgy things (displaying is getting totally messed up with mixes of full screen, mega-me, bars all over the place etc. etc.

wickesy

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2003, 08:44:11 am »

My .mpg, .rm and .avi files are classified as Video files but my .m2v files are still classified as Audio and do not show durations.

WMP version 9.00.00.2980

Media Center Registered 9.0.141 -- C:\Media Jukebox\

AMD Athlon 2081 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 136 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

David Wickes

10sne1

• World Citizen
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2003, 09:32:42 am »

My files were still showing up wrong....BUT today I tried to "Update Library (from tags)" and it worked...my avi files now read as VIDEO file instead of AUDIO!  This did not work when I tried it with last build...but now yes!  Try it guys.

matshif

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2003, 10:16:22 am »

My files were still showing up wrong....BUT today I tried to "Update Library (from tags)" and it worked...my avi files now read as VIDEO file instead of AUDIO!  This did not work when I tried it with last build...but now yes!  Try it guys.

I tried but it didn't work for me with .141

/Mats

IDSmoker

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2003, 07:07:32 am »

While 143 has improved the file classification, there are still some problems.

Some of my avi's are still being classified as Audio, although most of them are now correctly under Video.  The Audio avi's have no duration or bitrate while the Video avi's do.  

I would offer to send you one of the Audio avi's, but the smallest is 70MB, so we would have to use FTP, and I don't know if you have a public location (or a private one you can email me the details about) that could be used.  Let me know.

The other classification problem is that ALL of my Audible files (*.aa) are still being classified as Video.

Since I'm sending this from home, here's my info:

WMP Version: 9.00.00.2980

Media Center Registered 9.0.143 -- E:\Tools\J River\Media Center\

Intel Pentium 4 1992 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 204 MB

Ripping /   Drive I:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive Y:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767

Burning /  Drive I: HP       DVD Writer 200j    Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:12  MaxSpeed:12  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No

IDSmoker

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2003, 09:57:08 am »

Any suggestions?

nila

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2003, 10:55:51 am »

Delete one of your files from MJ, re-import it - see if it's still labelled incorrectly.

I found it fixed all mine.

IDSmoker

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2003, 07:11:31 am »

I've run the "Update Library" function and I've created a new, clean, 'temp' library and imported media from scratch.

Nothing has worked...

I still have my Audible files listed as Video, and a handful of my "*.avi" files listed as Audio (although most of the "*.avi" files are correctly listed as Video).

IDSmoker

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2003, 09:54:38 am »

Version 155 still has not resolved this issue!!!

I still have AVI's classified as Audio and my Audible files are still under Video.

Any plans to fix this?

nila

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2003, 08:19:01 pm »

Have you tried:
  • Right clicking on the files and choosing: Update tags from files (always)
  • Deleting the files from the library and re-importing them?

I suffered from this bug for ages but for me it's definitely fixed now

rwf

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2003, 10:03:47 pm »

Have you tried:

I'll chime in as further evidence that the .aa issue is still out there for some of us. I just tried this - nothing changed. On the one hand it's not a huge issue for me as I already owned the Audible Otis & don't anticipate using the ipod too much for audio books. And, the .aa file did transfer to the pod, and played fine. But still, would be nice if it was tagged properly.

More generally - MC9 does many, many great things (I use it exclusively for music/audio and believe there is merit in splitting the audio/video-image components - as I've read others suggest periodically on other threads - I know, this is off-topic here).

10sne1

• World Citizen
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2003, 10:45:16 am »

I imported more of my video files and found MOST are identified correctly.  Two were not.  They were both avi format....(of which I have many that worked) and both said duration was 0:00 minutes.  I tried to play them...neither worked.  I got unknown format for media player.  I deleted them from Media Center....why fight it?  I'd rather not have files listed which I can't play because then Media Center skips them and goes on to play next track on list which it can play.  That's even more confusing!

nila

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2003, 02:28:34 am »

10 - did you try to play them outside of MC?
I had a few files that had that same problem and they wouldn't play out of MC with other programs either.
They were just corrupted files.

IDSmoker

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2003, 07:20:18 am »

Have you tried:

Yes and Yes...

Every time I test this, I use my "Temp" library (until this is fixed, I'll only use my "Main" library to manage my iPod), and try an "Update Library..." (with update tags selected).  When that doesn't work, I clear the library, and use "Import Media..." to bring in all of my video, music, and image files.

And find that I still have a handful of AVI's listed as Audio, and all of my Audible files are listed as Video.

Then I give up on using the current version of MC9 to manage Image and Video files, and go back to my "Main" library so that I can keep my iPod synced with my MP3's and Audible files.

IDSmoker

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2003, 11:34:47 am »

Version 161 has brought both good news and bad news to this issue...

The good news... is that my Audible files are no longer being listed as Video!  HURRAY!

The bad news... is that MC9 is no longer able to manage Audible files!   ?

I made the mistake of clearing my "temp" library before trying to do an Update Library (and I refuse to risk my "main" library by experimenting).

I cleared my "temp" library, and did a full "Import Media" on the directory that contains all of my media subdirectories (video, music, and audible files).  When the Import was complete, I found that my Music section only contained MP3s (none of the handful of WMAs made it in), and the Video section only contained videos (AVIs and the like)... my Audible files were nowhere to be found!  So, I tried doing another "Import Media" on the subdirectory that contains my Audible files... and MC9 died!  No error messages, no nothing, it simply died and vanished...

Two more times I tried starting MC9 and "Importing Media" on my Audible files with the same result!

Needless to say, I'm going to give this version of MC9 a pass, and wait till next weekend's version (which will hopefully fix this problem) before trying to refresh the contents of my iPod!

Media Center Registered 9.0.161 -- E:\Tools\J River\Media Center\

Intel Pentium 4 1993 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 214 MB

Ripping /   Drive I:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive Y:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max

Burning /  Drive I: HP       DVD Writer 200j    Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:12  MaxSpeed:12  Use MJ Engine:Yes
[/b]

IDSmoker

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2003, 07:54:11 am »

Has there been any progress made on this bug?

Is there any point in my trying the latest version this weekend, or should I give you guys another week to resolve this?

SteveG

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2003, 08:14:43 am »

IDSmoker,

In the bug thread for .161 I asked...

In regards to .aa file import, do you have RealOne installed?

I could not duplicate your problem beginning with .161.

Steve

IDSmoker

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2003, 02:03:43 pm »

Steve,

Sorry, I don't check these boards that often, and the version specific threads tend to be difficult to keep track of.

To answer your question... Yes, I do have RealOne installed, though I don't use it much.  Unfortunately, I can't give you a version number at the moment, I'll have to post that later (if you need it).

Is MC9 capable of playing RealOne formatted files (.RAM I think), without RealOne installed?  If so, I would be more than happy to finally uninstall that POS!  ;D  (I do have some "Real" video that I would still like to be able play if needed).

I'll try and check this thread tonight or tomorrow (and post the RealOne version info).

Thanks for the help again!

IDSmoker

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2003, 07:56:38 am »

Steve,

When I bring up the RealOne Player Help About box, it says:

• Version 2.0
  • Build: 6.011.830
  • Distribution: RN10PD

Any other information you need?

SteveG

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2003, 08:16:58 am »

IDSmoker,

Thanks for the information.  I will have to check it against what I have installed at work on Monday (maybe tomorrow).  I can make more suggestions once i know if we have eliminated this as a possisble difference.

Steve

SteveG

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2003, 05:40:39 am »

IDSmoker,

I just retested and here are the results.

On XP using MC 9.0.168 I started with an empty library. I have RealOne Version 2.0 Build 6.0.11.853, distribution:R1P11D.

I imported 3 .aa files without a problem and then played them with no problem.  From your post, I understand that you are unable to do this. Can you try to duplicate my test as closely as possible and then we can try to find out where the problem is? Feel free to start a new thread or to email me directly.

Steve (steve @ jriver.com)

IDSmoker

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2003, 06:45:57 am »

After updating MC9 to 172 and RealOne to Version 2.0 Build 6.0.11.853, the problem of MC9 exiting after importing Audible files is now gone!

Unfortunately, the Audible files are still being classified as VIDEO!   ?

Any idea when this problem will be corrected?

SteveG

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2003, 09:01:13 am »

IDSmoker,

I will look at this on Monday.

Steve

SteveG

« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2003, 06:52:25 am »

IDSmoker,

This is fixed in the next build.

Thanks,

Steve

IDSmoker

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2003, 12:08:03 pm »

Great!

I'll try and confirm the fix next weekend!

Thanks!

Cindy_B

• Recent member
  • I love my Media Center!
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2003, 02:28:01 pm »

I also have the same problem still. All video is being called audio.
All durations are still also being displayed as 0:00 and video playback in general is resulting in MJ doing some VERY dodgy things (displaying is getting totally messed up with mixes of full screen, mega-me, bars all over the place etc. etc.

I'm also having the same problem with an uncontrollable screen display.  I recently went back to version 9.0.143.  This is the last build where all my video played correctly.  I have a large collection of mpg files which I haven't been able to view since 9.0.143.

I did however notice one thing that could help.  I'm using Segma's "RealMagic Xcard"  on Windows 2000 service pac2 platform.  Like everyone else all my mpg videos show up as audio files.   With MC 9.0.143 this was not an issue, my RealMagic Xcard"  worked great displaying my videos (mpg) files on my TV monitor using Media player, or MC.

Since the version came out with the requirements of updating media player, my video files have not played correctly. My mpg "Audio" files don't play and my mpg "Video" files don't display correctly on screen.  

Since I needed to upgrade Media player, I decided to also update Windows with service pac 3.    Yahoooo!
All my mpgs files now are recognized as "Video" files.

I thought this was great however, since all version after 9.0.143 are not display videos correctly I decided to go back to 143 and service pac 2.

Could this be a Window's Service Pac Version issue?

Pages: [1]   Go Up