INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't Play Multichannel Audio (suddenly)  (Read 630 times)

paul1970

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Fractious Ingrate
Can't Play Multichannel Audio (suddenly)
« on: July 07, 2019, 09:12:45 am »

I've had my MC PC hooked up to my Sony AV receiver via WASAPI/HDMI  since forever, sending multichannel audio to it (LPCM) without any problem. Output format is set up to do no encoding and to output 5.1 channels (as per my speaker configuration). Since a couple of weeks ago whenever I try  to play a movie it says it can't open it with six channels, will two do instead? Err...no, not really.

I've tried swapping the HDMI cable and moving to a different HDMI input on the receiver but it doesn't make a difference to the result. Apple TV decoded output plays fine with the receiver.

Any ideas or is anyone willing to help me diagnose the problem?
Heaven: The nicest speakers I can afford (set up with attention paid to room interactions) and an amp that can power them adequately. Plus any old competently designed cables, DAC and a bit-perfect source

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Can't Play Multichannel Audio (suddenly)
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 12:25:51 pm »

Did the receiver get changed?  It can be set to do 2 channel or multi-channel.

wer

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 02:02:54 pm »

If it's a network enabled receiver and downloaded a firmware update, that could have caused the problem.  Can you tell if the firmware version has changed?

A driver change for your video card could also cause the problem.  I suggest you try playing a 5.1ch movie wih VLC.  If its audio settings are left to automatic and its hdmi/spdif passthru setting is OFF, it will try and output multichannel PCM just as you want MC to do.  If VLC CAN do it, then the issue would seem to be in MC, not the driver or receiver.

In Device Settings under Audio Device in MC options, make sure open device for exclusive access is set.  In Output Format, make sure no upmixing or downmixing is set.  Channels should be at 5.1 as you indicated.

paul1970

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Fractious Ingrate
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 01:32:02 pm »

Thanks for responding.
Wer: No, it's not on a network. It's set to be exclusive and there's no up or down-mixing.. Good suggestion; I will try VLC.

JimH: 'Set to do' is you mean a receiver setting (it's currently in AFD Auto mode for the relevant input, which should be correct) or JRiver? If JRiver which is the setting you refer to?
Heaven: The nicest speakers I can afford (set up with attention paid to room interactions) and an amp that can power them adequately. Plus any old competently designed cables, DAC and a bit-perfect source

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 02:44:05 pm »

Setting on the receiver.

Try testing from Windows > Control Panel > Sounds.

paul1970

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Fractious Ingrate
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 03:20:04 pm »

Properties->Supported Formats says
Max number of channels =2!

Do you know why that might be and how I can change it?
Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 03:34:25 pm »

The driver?

I suppose you turned the receiver off and back on.

Same for computer.

Debug in Control Panel until working.

paul1970

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Fractious Ingrate
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 03:38:38 pm »

When trying to find the correct AV sync setting I turned on the TV speaker and set the HDMI output to TV+AMP. I forgot to turn it back to TV only so I guess that the receiver was reporting stereo as the capability of the connected TV.
Wouldn’t have got there without the help and prompting. Many thanks.

paul1970

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Fractious Ingrate
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 03:41:19 pm »

I guess the ATV was OK because it’s connected through and HDFury AVR Key which probably screws that reporting chain up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up