INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cut and Paste whole album metadata  (Read 1371 times)

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Cut and Paste whole album metadata
« on: July 19, 2019, 05:47:32 pm »

I feel like I'm missing something that I should know how to do in MC.  Here's the situation:

I bought a 6 CD 80s compilation album and it's not in any of the databases I can find.  But it does have an Amazon product page with all the song names and artists.  So I have the data, line by line, song by song, for all of the discs.  I'd like to be able to paste this into MC somehow.

But I can't seem to paste anything more than a single field at time.  This becomes rather tedious after doing about a dozen of them.  Plus I can only paste in one field, so I'm having to use multiple expressions later to break this single field (with artist and song name) into it's real component pieces.

Any suggestions for an easier cleaner way of importing this data?

Thanks,

Brian.

wer

Re: Cut and Paste whole album metadata
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 06:27:08 pm »

Jmone's data fiddler lets you import/export the library via spreadsheet.  If you select the tracks in your compilation album, export them, edit the file, then reimport, you should be able to do it.

Look here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,106802.0.html

-Will

DJLegba

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 08:28:08 pm »

MusiCHI can copy tags from Amazon and many other sources.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 09:49:15 pm »

I've been thinking about ways to make our paste accommodate something like a list of artist names, but it's a tricky problem.

If you have a proposal, please shoot.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 10:14:06 am »

Jmone's data fiddler lets you import/export the library via spreadsheet.  If you select the tracks in your compilation album, export them, edit the file, then reimport, you should be able to do it.

Look here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,106802.0.html

Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately that is a Windows only solution and I don't use Windows.  I'm posting here because this forum gets the most traffic and attention.  I post solutions here a lot actually because a huge number of techniques and tools for MC work on all platforms.  But not this one unfortunately.

Thanks again for trying to help.

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 10:19:14 am »

I've been thinking about ways to make our paste accommodate something like a list of artist names, but it's a tricky problem.

My first intuitive attempt went like this:

1.  Get text file with song Name field, one song name per line.
2.  Highlight file contents.  Copy to clipboard with OS key (Command-c in my case, control-c on windows)
3.  Go to MC, find album, highlight all songs to be pasted.  Should be an equal number of lines as the last step.
4.  Open the Tag Action Window.  Find Name field.
5.  Click in Name field and do OS clipboard paste (Command-v in my case, control-v in Windows).

I had hoped this would sequentially paste each line into each song.  If that worked, I could do this in only a couple of steps for each album/disc.

If there was some way, in MC, of highlighting just a single Column (Name for example) with a group of songs, this would be easier than the steps above.  But the steps above are still intuitive (to me) and not very difficult.

Anyone think this is a good or bad idea?

Brian.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 11:29:21 am »

Thanks.
in a view where you can choose which field you want to view in a list style ... can select whole column to paste in data for chosen tag to multiple files

or choose row ... to paste in visible multiple tags to single file (tags in pasted data must match order in which tags are arranged in view)

finally select whole list to paste multiple tags to multiple files (tags in pasted data must match order in which tags are arranged in view)
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 11:43:46 am »

but simplest method to implement imo ... forget about copy paste (lots of guessing what user is pasting)

import some chosen file format that contains new tags information in spreadsheet style ... CSS CSV seems simplest as it can be generated by lots of spreadsheet programs

... generate small preview ... let user choose whether (row)/(column) contains (tags)/(file name) before importing

then user can copy paste to spreadsheet of their choosing .. format their data ... save as CSS CSV ... import that CSSCSV
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 09:08:40 am »

I'm going to try making the next build accept a set of strings on the clipboard for Ctrl+Shift+V.  You'll have to pick a single field, and it will paste the string of tags (separated by newlines) into the files.

Hopefully we're getting closer :)

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 09:39:07 pm »

I just tried this with build 81 for Mac.  I'm guessing that your code works and that this function works on the Windows version of MC.

But on Mac it only pastes in the first line.  It's something about the field in the Tag Action Window that I'm pasting into I think.  I'm using the [Name] field but I also tried [Artist].  In both cases it only pastes the first line.

As a double check, I opened Text Edit and pressed Command-v (which is paste on Mac).  It pasted in all 16 lines that I had highlighted from a web browser.  I also tried Command-Shift-v and got nothing at all in Text Edit.

I also tried Tag Action Window, click in Name field, Edit > Paste Tags .  This gave me the paste tags dialog, which insisted that I only check one field.  This also pasted in only one line.  Then I tried again without using the Tag Action Window at all.  Just selected the tracks then edit Edit > Paste Tags .  Still only one line pasted.

Maybe the clipboard works differently with MC for Mac as opposed to Windows. 

Thanks,

Brian.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 09:44:42 pm »

I'm wondering if \n is the newline and not \r\n?

Maybe I could split on \n and just remove the \r?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 09:49:43 pm »

I believe that Linux and OSX should use just line feed.  Windows uses line feed and carriage return.

Spike1000

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2019, 02:52:33 am »

MC could do with a 'Text file to Tag' input option for these situations.

A simple string format parser eg "%artist% - %title%" or "%artist%,%title%" depending on the format of the text file defines the format.

Or use MP3Tag and tag these files outside MC.

Spike

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2019, 07:56:56 am »

Next build will fix the newline issue on Mac.  Thanks for the reports.

blgentry

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2019, 05:14:06 pm »

Thanks Matt.  Will test when it comes out and report back.  :)

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2019, 06:32:55 pm »

Looks like 25.0.85 for Mac was just released and has the code to see the breaks between lines.

...and it works!

I was able to cut and paste the Name and Artist fields for my 6 CD set relatively easily.  I had to use a spreadsheet to break it apart first, but that's ok.  This was far, far, far easier than cutting and pasting each Name and each Artist, one, by one, by one by...

Thanks Matt!

Brian.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2019, 06:34:28 pm »

Glad it worked out  :)

This gave us a bit of a puzzle, but it was kind of fun!
Pages: [1]   Go Up