INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FrontView+ 2nd Screen LCD Now Playing Info comes to JRiver  (Read 9252 times)

GlennNZ

• Recent member
FrontView+ 2nd Screen LCD Now Playing Info comes to JRiver
« on: July 21, 2019, 01:34:49 am »

I have added support for JRiver Media Centre in the latest release of FrontView+, which essentially is a Now Playing information screen for Media Centers.
(is Windows only)
& First release!

See here:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=259087

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/31037-frontview-for-windowsimon-replacement-nowplaying-2nd-screen/page-1

For more information....

So when playing with JRiver, your 2nd screen can look like this.....

Setup Remote Here:

As JRiver is somewhat late to the party, reading some of the other threads would be useful as FrontView+ really has a whole lot of configurable settings.
From Weather display as home screen (images change depending on weather conditions)

&

to a host of Settings to change, not least amongst ability to DIM screen with DDC control, ability to send HTTP commands at certain media events (movie starts etc. lights off), along with multiple skins and settings to change....

See github page for 64 bit installer...

https://github.com/Ghawken/FrontView/releases

Some further info:

As you will see above in the 'Now Playing' Screens of which there are three types (Movies (default), Audio, TV Shows) Fanart, Thumbnails, Logo and ClearCDart are used. 
The remote checks the playback folder for fanart.jpg and cdart.png and logo.png.
eg.
Audio:  if playing file \\Server\\Music\BestAlbum\Song1.mp3, will check \\Server\Music\BestAlbum\ for cdart.png
Movie: file \\Server\Movies\BestMovieEver\Movie.mp4, will check \\Server\Movies\BestMovieEver\ for fanart.jpg and logo.png

If these files are not available - defaults to text display of title (rather than logo) and uses the JRiver Image for both fanart and thumb if nothing else is available.

Glenn

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: FrontView+ 2nd Screen LCD Now Playing Info comes to JRiver
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 08:03:12 am »

Thanks for adding JRiver!  I just sent you a license.

jachin99

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 01:18:12 pm »

Thanks for this!!! I tried it out but I'm not seeing an option to add JRiver under remote API.  I'm on FV++ 1.300

GlennNZ

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 04:12:46 pm »

Thanks for adding JRiver!  I just sent you a license.
Thank you!  That is going to make it easier to support!

GlennNZ

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 04:13:42 pm »

Thanks for this!!! I tried it out but I'm not seeing an option to add JRiver under remote API.  I'm on FV++ 1.300

Ok - that’s not a great start  :o.

Lets rewind the launch a bit...

Have checked the installer has the image file but not the dll included... big oops...
New installer on github now fixing this.

(May still be some file path issues, hard to check for, given differences with UNC/local/linux etc. and can address as needed)

Glenn

Inquisition

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 05:03:44 pm »

Hmm that looks very very fine.

I will try this today on my musicpc!!   ;D ;D
My English is not perfect, so be merciful with me

jachin99

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 05:18:31 pm »

I'll give it a try and rough starts don't bother me too much. I'm just excited to see your working on it

jachin99

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 04:36:26 pm »

I fired up the new version and it seems to work great!!

GlennNZ

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 04:55:12 pm »

I fired up the new version and it seems to work great!!

Thumbs up! ;)

Inquisition

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 10:18:19 pm »

I tried it too yesterday and it works very fine.

Great job.

Question,    how can I change the default home screen?  Don't need the menus for audio or video.
Exists there a tutorial for?  I found the xaml files but don't recognize which items for the home screen menus.

Inquisition

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2019, 12:26:55 pm »

For example what i meaned, the red circled items in the attached picture i wanna clear from homescreen if possible

GlennNZ

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2019, 10:26:46 pm »

For example what i meaned, the red circled items in the attached picture i wanna clear from homescreen if possible

There is a manual with the installer - link should be on Desktop (relatively old though I'm afraid  :o)

But would suggest change to Time/Weather as default home screen as my examples (with background changing as per weather conditions)
You can also within setting select - don't show audio box - selector (which will remove Audio box, sorry can't remember exact setting)
Video Box currently always shown on this page.

But - time/Weather Page tends to be the prefered home screen.
Home page is selectable within Settings.

Skin options are within the Settings, but the xaml files arent easily really user editable (and not for this screen)
(if so try the ones within Skin folders on a new blank/copied from Default skin)

Also it appears from your picture that you haven't connected your JRiver remote - this will need to be connected for Now Playing to work.

(I am looking at local library support and playback, not quite possible to pull via individual database queries tv shows, movies, tv episodes, tv seasons ?  Currently pulling everything via Search which causes massive slow-down while processing)

Glenn

Inquisition

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2019, 03:00:12 pm »

Ok, no problem.
Thanks you.

Was only a question to modify home screen a little if possible   ;) ;)

changes in the xaml files shows no reaction, no matter which screen is shown, so i use it now how it is. most important for me is the playing now screen

jachin99

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2019, 09:19:55 pm »

Glenn, tonight I connected the jriver client that I would like to see media playback info for to a library server on a second machine.  I updated frontviews up and username settings to those of the server my client connects to.  Frontviews connects to the server just fine but I don't get any now playing info on my second screen.

GlennNZ

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2019, 02:37:30 am »

Glenn, tonight I connected the jriver client that I would like to see media playback info for to a library server on a second machine.  I updated frontviews up and username settings to those of the server my client connects to.  Frontviews connects to the server just fine but I don't get any now playing info on my second screen.

Not sure I completely follow, the JRiver connection, it is for same machine local playback only (much like Plex) by necessity.

The library sharing works and have tested

Eg.
JRiver instance 192.168.1.206 sharing library (library on this computer)
Local computer 192.168.1.97 JRiver connecting to this library via media network
Local computer 192.168.1.97 Frontview version displaying Nowplaying info from local 192.168.1.97 client
(needs to be connected to local client)

Re-read your message - connect Frontview to the local client, this is the supported format.  Would presume that was the issue.

Glenn

jachin99

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2019, 09:12:25 am »

You were right, that did the trick!!!

jachin99

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2019, 09:12:00 pm »

Glenn, I had to swap out some of my channel logos, and now frontview isn't showing the cover logo for those channels.  I looked around frontview's various directories but I can't seem to figure out how to fix these channels.  Is there something different I could be doing?  Thanks.

jachin99

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2019, 10:53:55 am »

Glenn, Frontview doesn't seem to be able to download backdrops or channel logos on MC 25.113.  It switches screens when playback starts but I only get the small box cover in the bottom left corner.  I don't get the larger backdrops, or fanart.  Can you take a look and tell me what the issue might be? 

GlennNZ

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2019, 06:11:25 pm »

Glenn, Frontview doesn't seem to be able to download backdrops or channel logos on MC 25.113.  It switches screens when playback starts but I only get the small box cover in the bottom left corner.  I don't get the larger backdrops, or fanart.  Can you take a look and tell me what the issue might be?

Hi

Not quite sure I completely follow

The Fanart (= backdrop of 'Now Playing' screen) is blank - but the left corner box (=Thumb) is shown?

For what?

All playback, Movies/Files etc. ?
or just Live TV - which seems to be the log?

Nothing in JRiver updates would seem to affect this.
Typically this means that there is no fanart/backdrop being received as it doesn't exist.
Normally FV would use the thumb for backdrop in this case - but is it possible that it is not for some reason in JRiver's case, there does seem a potential filename issue in the log which I can look at (Live TV has comma's/illegal characters)

Can you

1. Try file Movie/File playback from library? (with log) and seem whether see the same - this would be much easier to troubleshoot.

Thanks

GlennNZ

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2019, 01:44:54 am »

Additional:

Can try just posted
May help, but adds a few more logging aspects to aid down the track.
(Don't have liveTV to test, which is an issue)

Glenn

jachin99

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2019, 08:44:16 am »

Thanks glenn.  So on the previous version 1.303 I was getting thumbnails in the corner but no backdrops as you have described above for movies, tv shows, and music files.  For live TV I wasn't getting anything except the channel name.  I downloaded version 1.304, and the behavior hasn't changed for movies, and audio.  For TV shows I now get a thumb and backdrop for some shows but the backdrop looks to be a screen capture if that makes sense.  On .104 I don't get anything for live TV.  I don't get a channel logo, backdrop, or track name, and frontview just stays on the weather screen when I play live TV. 

The only thing on my end that has changed off of the top of my head that has changed is I moved the default cover art directory.

I'm attaching a log

GlennNZ

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2019, 03:23:31 pm »

The only thing on my end that has changed off of the top of my head that has changed is I moved the default cover art directory.
I'm attaching a log

I’ll have another look a log when can.

What do you mean default cover art?  For FV?   How did you move it?

On my UpToDate JRiver test system works with all files I give it - with exception that can’t test live Tv. 

I would guess the Live Tv is My issue and somewhat expected - the lack of files/movies/everything else something you have done to your install.

Glenn

jachin99

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2019, 09:14:34 pm »

Under Tools, Options, File locations you should see a cover art heading where you can specify any folder to store cover art in.  I think this is used by MC to store cover art not downloaded by its scanners.   My channel logos for instance were downloaded Via a program called EPG123.  I then picked the logos I wanted to use (I had to pick ones with white letters because black would be unreadable), and moved them into MC's cover art directory.  They are labeled according to the channel name.  I know enough about how channel logos to make them work in JRiver but I don't entirely understand how they work.  The same goes for backdrops, etc. I guess.  It looks to me like the cover art directory is just used as a cache, and for extra art work.  It wouldn't seem FV+ would need it. 

GlennNZ

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2019, 11:31:53 pm »

Under Tools, Options, File locations you should see a cover art heading where you can specify any folder to store cover art in.  I think this is used by MC to store cover art not downloaded by its scanners.   My channel logos for instance were downloaded Via a program called EPG123.  I then picked the logos I wanted to use (I had to pick ones with white letters because black would be unreadable), and moved them into MC's cover art directory.  They are labeled according to the channel name.  I know enough about how channel logos to make them work in JRiver but I don't entirely understand how they work.  The same goes for backdrops, etc. I guess.  It looks to me like the cover art directory is just used as a cache, and for extra art work.  It wouldn't seem FV+ would need it.

Ok - not sure what you have done.

The Tv Shows/Files/Movies logging all looks fine. (well actually TV shows has a few fixes coming...)

except obviously JRiver can't find your images:

http://192.168.29.48:52199/MCWS/v1/File/GetImage?File=64998&Type=Full&Token=GRDD9ZPv
http://192.168.29.48:52199/MCWS/v1/File/GetImage?File=65364&Type=Full&Token=GRDD9ZPv

What do you get from the above - this is what JRiver is reporting as fanart/thumbs to FV and FV is trying to use.
If it doesn't exist - obviously can't use it.

When read this check for new updates in releases github tab...

jachin99

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2019, 08:52:16 am »

The image calls you posted return images in a browser window.  SOMETHING has gotten lost or mixed up at some point.  I reinstalled windows chasing down issues I had with channel changes, and I moved my media drives from a network file share to the machine running JRiver.  I just now updated the media locations in my sidecar files by right clicking the library and selecting library tools - update tags from library but It didn't make a difference.  For shows, or movies that have been added recently cover art works fine, and I get both the backdrop, and thumb.  I COULD try to remove all of my files, delete the sidecar files, and start over and that MIGHT get the same result as importing a new file.  I would rather not do that just yet though, and that still wouldn't solve my Live TV problem.  For Live TV I get filenames again but no cover art except for channel logo that I manually updated.  If MC uses tokens to locate images for FV, it would seem logical that FV is getting bad tokens from MC.  I don't know how to fix this.  I did grab the new version. 

Edit: I just played a file that doesn't normally display a backdrop, and the backdrop flashed for a second then disappeared.  I have the built-in second screen in my case.  Is it possible a resolution setting isn't right somewhere?

GlennNZ

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2019, 02:10:58 pm »

.  For shows, or movies that have been added recently cover art works fine, and I get both the backdrop, and thumb.  For Live TV I get filenames again but no cover art except for channel logo that I manually updated.  If MC uses tokens to locate images for FV, it would seem logical that FV is getting bad tokens from MC.  I don't know how to fix this.  I did grab the new version. 

Edit: I just played a file that doesn't normally display a backdrop, and the backdrop flashed for a second then disappeared.  I have the built-in second screen in my case.  Is it possible a resolution setting isn't right somewhere?

Ok - sorry can’t help with mixed up JRiver issues, sounds like FV displays correctly with files that have correct info stored.  Good.

Live TV- I can’t test so is a pain. 

Basically FV checks the media playback folder for obvious image/Fanart files being logo, poster, fanart jpgs.  If not present uses the fanart given to it by JRiver - which is most cases seems to be a thumb only.  For Live TV there is no folder to check, so only can use what is given by JRiver.  So if only interested in FV could update images in each folder and FV will use them.

Re: flashing backdrop - at a guess would say was old backdrop previously played file, disappearing... but happy to look at more logs.  Won’t be resolution.

Glenn

jachin99

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2019, 08:34:41 pm »

I'll keep poking around but I have noticed a few things about this.

1. For Music files at least, FV+ adds fanart files to its appdata folder but it doesn't show them as a backdrop, and I only get the thumb image in the corner.  These are the same images used for thumbnails as you have described.

2.  At times, the images shown will be for previous file played, and not the currently playing file. 

I'm not sure if it will help much but I am attaching a log just for good measure. 

I'm not too worried about Live TV at the moment because I know I can fix that on my own.  Starting a new library, and reimporting my music, and video files didn't fix the issue like I had hoped.  I do still get backdrops for newly added files as far as I know though.

jachin99

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2019, 08:54:11 pm »

Something is definitely getting mixed up somewhere.  I just played a recording for the TV show Expedition Unknown, and I got a backdrop and thumb for an artic monkeys album

GlennNZ

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2019, 09:02:06 pm »

I see this is with 304?(from log)
Try 306 just posted, and update log.

Noticed that isn't behaving ideally with debug/trace on as now logging slowing down system a bit (on my system).  Still need log with debug/trace enabled, but welcome to test with logging on/off..

Glenn

jachin99

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2019, 09:27:43 pm »

I enabled debug and trace.  I get similar results.  I tried playing a few different files, and I have noticed that some movies don't even have thumbs.  Here is a log.  I confirmed this one says .306, and I might have sent you an older log earlier. Thanks for your patience.

GlennNZ

• Recent member
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2019, 09:50:11 pm »

Thanks
Will look at log when can - surprisingly very difficult to unzip *.7z files on a mobile/iPad.

It is possible you are expecting the impossible.

FV - does not scrap/or create ANY images.  It simply displays artwork provided by each remote connection, for each item.
In Jrivers case that is coverart but ONLY if exists in your library.
Kodi/Emby/Plex - all provide difficult levels of images, some better/more than others.

In Jrivers case FV also checks the directory of playback file for:
logo.png - logo for movie playback only
fanart.jpg - backdrop/fanart
/extrafanart/*.jpg files - backdrop/fanart (1st choice)
poster.jpg, folder.jpg, [Name-of-File].jpg - thumb artwork
JRiver supplied CoverArt - for thumb artwork
JRiver supplied Coverart - for backdrop/fanart as well if nothing else.

To use if present and/or library empty.
Can use filescrapers to add these files to library - and there are plenty of them.

But if library provides nothing and these files do not exist then there is nothing for FV to display.  And nothing is what it will display.

Glenn

jachin99

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2019, 09:51:02 pm »

Fwiw I don't get thumbs for tv channels on jremote unless I manually map the file location for them either.  I want to ask someone from jriver about the issue but I'm not sure how to phrase my question just yet.

jachin99

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2019, 09:53:30 pm »

I have a bunch of fanart.jpgs for movies at least.  I have a jriver and emby server on the same PC.  would those fanart files work?  At one point I was getting at least some kind of backdrop image for every file played

GlennNZ

• Recent member
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2019, 10:00:14 pm »

I have a bunch of fanart.jpgs for movies at least.  I have a jriver and emby server on the same PC.  would those fanart files work?  At one point I was getting at least some kind of backdrop image for every file played

does check fanart.jpg (have updated other earlier post with more details) and will use that over anything else if exists.

If can zip and attach, rather than 7z log - can look now and see.

The other disconnect here - is the log doesn’t confirm what is displayed. Just what is available.  You would have to take screenshots for that info. 

Glenn

jachin99

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2019, 10:21:23 pm »

Here is a log in .zip format.  Could it be a file permission issue somewhere?  When I rebuilt windows I remember having to give new user account modify permissions but I can't remember exactly why. 

jachin99

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2019, 10:22:53 pm »

Here is an example folder structure of a movie

GlennNZ

• Recent member
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2019, 10:35:26 pm »

Here is an example folder structure of a movie

{Have edited below, as updated code/release available}

Ok thanks - most of those files it should use, and it fact has been trying to from log.. 

Looking at your log now. 

Think see issue - which is a consequence of partially adding FV library support (which I started but never finished)
It seems you clicked the update Library button, which isn't fully supported; it also probably didn't finish downloading, meaning a whole lot of cached images that don't exists.
FV is caching the images, only not that well, so whenever you play a recent file it uses the cache, non-existing version.   On further looking, all the code is disabled - but it Seems like you pressed the update library button (disabled everything else - except this button!)

To fix:

Download new version 1.307.  The final version.  Maybe.
Click Full Library Refresh Library Button in FW.  Will delete everything bad that was created.
For Good measure probably would restart FV.
(if want to go full hog, could delete the Frontview+.db file in %appdata%/FrontView, will need to setup new remote after restarting)

Now try....

(Have also added support for \extrafanart directories of fanart images)

Glenn

jachin99

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2019, 08:49:40 am »

It looks like the full database update does a good job of deleting the old database but I still have the same issues.

Live TV -  No art but FV displays the file name for the channel

Music - It seems like it will display the thumb, and backdrop after a track has been playing a while

Shows/Movies - These have Fanart, and thumbs I the media's directory but they often don't show in JRiver. 

I'm attaching logs.

GlennNZ

• Recent member
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2019, 12:38:54 am »

Ok
Sorry missed this - thought the no reply was it all working..

Checked log.  Few caught exceptions as need to setup a darksky weather API.... (but that is besides the point..)

Okay - try 1.308
Should be on github now.

Glenn

jachin99

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2019, 04:03:22 pm »

Glenn, thanks for keeping up on this.  Ill have a look on Monday and tell you how it goes.

jachin99

« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2019, 09:42:18 am »

Alright Glenn, things are looking better.  Music, Recorded TV, and Movies all seem to be working correctly.  These each show the thumbnail, and "Zoomed In" thumbnail or fanart where applicable.  Channel logos aren't working however, and when I play a TV channel I get the artwork for the previously played file.  Also once I have tried playing a TV Channel, and I switch back to movies or TV shows I have to play the file twice in order for the screen to update to the new file so I'll try to describe this a little bit better...

I play a movie, and I get the correct thumbnail and fanart...  I then play a second movie, and also get the correct artwork.

I then play a TV channel, and I get the artwork, including the logo so no trackname (This might be because the Movie's Logo appears to go in place of the trackname) of the last movie played above.

I then go back to movies, select a new movie, and I still get that same artwork I had when I was playing TV, and the movie prior to TV.  I stop the movie, select it again, and I now get the artwork for my new movie.  I hope that makes sense, and here is a log. 

GlennNZ

• Recent member
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2019, 05:04:16 pm »

Ok,
I have seen and fixed both those issues - hmm seems like you are running the correct version.
Possible didn’t copy latest changes when packaged installer...
Will update versions numbers and recompile.

Try 1.309 installer, and please report back....

G

jachin99

« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2019, 09:20:41 am »

Thanks Glenn, I tried out .309 but I have the same issues.  Here is a log

GlennNZ

• Recent member
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2019, 01:35:57 am »

Thanks Glenn, I tried out .309 but I have the same issues.  Here is a log

Man, this is getting annoying. Logs - can't unzip on Windows (either with Explorer, or WinRar for some reason) Ipad Files works, but not other apps..
Think I have the guist from Ipad review.

The issue is can't test TV Channels/Television (unless someone has a dummy way?).  Could turn off Now Playing support for TV altogether?

Try 1.310, but running out of steam.

jachin99

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2019, 01:58:49 pm »

Glenn, I do appreciate your patience working with this.  For the zip files, I simply rename them from .txt or .log to .zip in windows explorer.  I'm not sure if windows recognizes what I want to do with the file and actually compresses it or not.  I'm also starting to run out of steam on this, and I'm starting to kick the tires on a few other media centers but I don't want to abandon this in the middle of your improvements.  I'll give v 3.10 a try and if you would rather take a break or cease work on Live TV then I understand.  Thanks for all of your help, and I looked for a donate page for you a while back but never found it. 

GlennNZ

• Recent member
Re: FrontView+ 2nd Screen LCD Now Playing Info comes to JRiver’
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2019, 03:10:58 pm »

Glenn, I do appreciate your patience working with this.  For the zip files, I simply rename them from .txt or .log to .zip in windows explorer.  I'm not sure if windows recognizes what I want to do with the file and actually compresses it or not.  I'm also starting to run out of steam on this, and I'm starting to kick the tires on a few other media centers but I don't want to abandon this in the middle of your improvements.  I'll give v 3.10 a try and if you would rather take a break or cease work on Live TV then I understand.  Thanks for all of your help, and I looked for a donate page for you a while back but never found it.

Thanks - that explains the zip files - need to right click add to zip or equivalent to make a proper zip file.  But txt works fine as well.

The ‘arghh!’ theme in the last post was more at the general frustration of debugging something remotely, and with days between updates.

Actually relatively happy that .310 will be a big improvement.

Glenn

jachin99

« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2019, 09:18:20 am »

It looks like .310 did the trick!! I tested TV, Music, Movies, and TV shows and they all seem to work. 

jachin99

« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2020, 05:56:21 pm »

Front view has been updated to remove dark sky net and add open weather map as the weather provider, along with fixes for other media centers. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up