INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Making tag updates "stick" in NAS library  (Read 1032 times)

iGas2

• Recent member
Making tag updates "stick" in NAS library
« on: July 25, 2019, 01:29:55 am »

Running MC25, Windows 10, with a small (22K files) library on a QNAP NAS. I have a number of compilation albums which display multiple thumbnails, and have no trouble correcting this via tag updates in Album view.  HOWEVER, despite hours (stretching into days!) of research, Wiki review, and trial and error, I cannot get these tag updates to "stick"..... each time, on relaunching MC25, it's back to square one, with compilations all displayed as multiple thumbnails again.

Extremely grateful of any advice, tips, tricks

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Making tag updates "stick" in NAS library
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 02:55:48 am »

Let's make sure the file is actually getting updated.

Fix one of the tags in MC, then select the file and select Tools > Library Tools > Update Tags (from library).

Now go out to Windows explorer and check the timestamp on the media file.  It should be he current time if the file was modified.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 05:34:38 pm »

When you apply tag updates in MC, they go into MC's internal database, where they stay.  If you have the correction option set, MC will attempt to write these changes back to the files also.  If the file supports it, and is read/write, then MC will write the tag changes.

But even if MC never writes any new tags to the files, your changes should "stick", as they are in MC's database.  So what's going on with your setup?

My first thought is that you might not be importing your files from a file share on the NAS.  Are you using the QNAP's DLNA server to get to the files?  Or do you have a drive mapped to your Window machine that shows the files and you have MC doing auto import from that drive?  If you are not importing as files, and rather as DLNA, that probably explains this.

Brian.

wer

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 05:38:52 pm »

Brian, my thinking was that if the files are being touched by some other process, then MC's auto-import might be reloading the "old" data that was still in the files if it hadn't been written out in the first place, or if the files had been replaced.  Auto-import being fed old data was the only idea that came to mind for how the data in the MC database could "revert".  You're thinking he's imported them into the library via DLNA?  I've never tried that...  -Will

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 06:49:11 pm »

If in fact they are being re-read, MC has an option that should stop that.

Tools > Options > configure auto import > tasks > update for external changes > (uncheck)

With that de-selected (unchecked) MC should never try to re-read the tags from a file you already imported unless you specifically tell it to.

It's certainly possible that's the problem.

Brian.

iGas2

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 12:36:08 am »

Let's make sure the file is actually getting updated.

Fix one of the tags in MC, then select the file and select Tools > Library Tools > Update Tags (from library).

Now go out to Windows explorer and check the timestamp on the media file.  It should be he current time if the file was modified.

Thanks for this lead.... in fact at "Update Tags (from library)", 'Failure" is the Information

iGas2

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 05:19:57 pm »

When you apply tag updates in MC, they go into MC's internal database, where they stay.  If you have the correction option set, MC will attempt to write these changes back to the files also.  If the file supports it, and is read/write, then MC will write the tag changes.

But even if MC never writes any new tags to the files, your changes should "stick", as they are in MC's database.  So what's going on with your setup?

My first thought is that you might not be importing your files from a file share on the NAS.  Are you using the QNAP's DLNA server to get to the files?  Or do you have a drive mapped to your Window machine that shows the files and you have MC doing auto import from that drive?  If you are not importing as files, and rather as DLNA, that probably explains this.

Brian.

Spot on Brian! Something so simple, but for the not so savvy (me in this case 😩), not necessarily intuitive. DLNA server the issue, and once the drive was mapped, and library loaded.... problem solved.

Many thanks for your help.

Ian

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 08:52:07 pm »

Glad I was able to help you get your problem resolved.  :)

Brian.

wer

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 10:02:09 pm »

Ok, I admit that was clever.   8)  I'm not even sure I knew you could import into the library from a DLNA server...

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2019, 10:38:56 pm »

Actually, quite a few people seem to leave the DLNA server running on their NAS's, because they don't know it is there, and then import into MC using the DLNA Server.

Never a good idea, which I why I always recommend turning the DLNA Server on the NAS off unless there is a good reason to keep it running.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2019, 07:31:59 am »

Actually, quite a few people seem to leave the DLNA server running on their NAS's, because they don't know it is there, and then import into MC using the DLNA Server.

Never a good idea, which I why I always recommend turning the DLNA Server on the NAS off unless there is a good reason to keep it running.
Agreed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up