INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Virgin Media Router Hub 3.0 Port Forwarding?  (Read 6373 times)

Chronic

• World Citizen
Virgin Media Router Hub 3.0 Port Forwarding?
« on: August 04, 2019, 07:02:55 am »

Hi  :)

I'm trying to set up port forwarding so I can use Gizmo outside my home network.

I've logged in to my router's settings but now have options:

Local IP (I put the address on the bottom of the router)
Local start port
Local end port
External start port
External end port
Protocol (I put TCP)

I'm unsure what to put in the other boxes (local/external start/end points)

Thanks for any tips

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Virgin Media Router Hub 3.0 Port Forwarding?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 07:19:56 am »

Here's an old thread that should help:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=60252.0

Start and end points could be 52100 to 52200.

The manufacturer of the router should have instructions.

Chronic

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 08:19:34 am »

Thanks. I've put those settings into my router, then in Windows Firewall under 'Inbound and Outbound Rules' I've allowed connections for TCP Ports 52100-52200 (local and remote) and also set a static IP address in the Network Adapter Settings. I then carried out a hard reset on my computer and router but unfortunately still can't connect to the Media Server via Gizmo using 4G on my phone.

When I try the http://xx.xx.xx.xx:52199 test it doesn't work, as well as checking on a port forwarding tool to see if the ports open.

I noticed in that thread you linked that it mentions DHCP settings, I can disable the DHCPv4 server (and/or UPnP) on my router if that would help?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 08:37:33 am »

If your server now has a static address, DHCP isn't a factor.  No need to change it.

Double check your work.  Check the manufacturer's site.

The router may also have a firewall.

In a browser, type whatsmyip to see what your outside address is.

Chronic

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 10:31:46 am »

In the router's port forwarding settings I've put the static IP (rather than the default gateway), along with the recommended start/end points and disabled the router's firewall. I've also allowed connections on those start/end points in Windows firewall but still no joy. The router does have additional 'MAC filtering', 'IP and port filtering' and 'Port triggering' options which I haven't changed. I'm not sure what else I can do really.  :(

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 11:01:43 am »

Did you try the manufacturer's instructions?  There's a mistake somewhere.

Did you do the whatsmyip thing?  That address is how the world sees you, so that's the one you should be connecting to from outside your LAN.  It should get forwarded to your server.

Chronic

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 11:24:30 am »

The manufacturer’s instructions simply say to enter the settings listed in the OP (Local IP, Start/End point etc) and then apply the changes – all done.
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-set-up-port-forwarding-port-triggering#hub3

I've searched whatsmyip to get my external IP, then add http:// at the beginning and :52199 on the end, then search in browser and it doesn't load anything, confirming that the port isn't open. Is there something else I'm supposed to be doing with my external IP?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 11:28:53 am »

See if you can do a traceroute to your server from the Internet.  That should tell you where things break down. You'll need to use port 52199.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2019, 11:33:18 am »

Can you give some examples of how you're setting the router?  Use a fictitious address for the outside.

Chronic

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2019, 11:50:25 am »

These are the only settings my router asks for when i go into port forward settings:

Local IP (Static IP - 192.168.0.XX)
Local start port (52100)
Local end port (52200)
External start port (52100)
External end port (52200)
Protocol (TCP)

Then I apply these settings. I've also tried putting 52199 as the start and end ports, same goes for Windows firewall.

I've never used trace route before, I understand I go into command prompt, type tracert then my static IP? This doesn't seem to flag up anything

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2019, 11:53:09 am »

I can tracert successfully to your outside IP address, but that's not on 52199.  I can't change the port.

I think you need to call your Internet provider to see if they allow the 52100 to 52200 range.

You could try moving MC's Media Network connection and your IP forwarding to port 80.  That might tell you something.

Chronic

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2019, 12:08:11 pm »

I used telnet command prompt to test open ports with my static IP & 52199 and the port seems open as the screen goes blank.

I've also tried changing to port 80 on MC and my router/port forwarding settings to no avail.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2019, 12:13:46 pm »

Is Media Server enabled and running on port 52199 on the server?

Double check the server IP address you're using.

Double check the firewall.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2019, 12:17:34 pm »

Chronic

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2019, 12:32:27 pm »

I can play music via Gizmo via WiFi/LAN on the phone, just not through internet/4G, so the server must be up and running.

MC Options > Media Network > Advanced is set to TCP 52199 (SSL box isn't selected)

Static IP is the same as in my router's port forwarding settings, which are also set to 52199 TCP. As are the Windows Firewall settings > Advanced> Inbound/Outbound rules > Protocol type: TCP, Specific Ports (local and remote): 52199.

All I'm thinking is maybe the router settings take a while to take effect. It would be good to know whether somone else with the same router has it working.

I have been and will keep reading... thanks for your time and if you think of anything else please let me know. :)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2019, 02:03:24 pm »

I think you've got it set up correctly.  The router should update immediately, but it wouldn't hurt to check that the settings were saved correctly.

I would ask the ISP for help.

Chronic

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2019, 02:02:57 pm »

They aren't much help and just direct me to the online instructions I posted. They said they aren't blocking port 52199.

I can run the router they've supplied me in 'modem mode' and then buy a new router as a last resort.

I've tried disabling Windows firewall completely with no success so thinking it must be the router.

Chronic

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2019, 02:40:51 pm »

I've run a test with Packet Sender to see if this helps narrow down where my connection is going wrong... In the instructions I've read it should just say the port I'm testing (52199) and it does appear that another port shows up in the test. In this example (attached image) it shows 57560, however this number changes each time I run the test.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2019, 02:03:10 am »

There are a couple of things in this thread that flagged up as I read through...

...then in Windows Firewall under 'Inbound and Outbound Rules' I've allowed connections for TCP Ports 52100-52200 (local and remote) and also set a static IP address in the Network Adapter Settings.
I have never needed to look at, or change, any Windows Firewall settings. On first run of the MC major build, Windows Firewall prompts, asking if I want to allow Media Center to communicate, I tick everything and allow, and then it never bothers me again until the next major build, 26.0.1 in my case. Everything 'just works'.

Then I apply these settings. I've also tried putting 52199 as the start and end ports, same goes for Windows firewall.
I have never needed to use a range. Start and end ports of 52199 has always been enough, and again, no visits to Windows Firewall settings have ever been necessary.

These are the only settings my router asks for when i go into port forward settings:

Local IP (Static IP - 192.168.0.XX)
Local start port (52100)
Local end port (52200)
External start port (52100)
External end port (52200)
Protocol (TCP)

I've never used trace route before, I understand I go into command prompt, type tracert then my static IP? This doesn't seem to flag up anything
I set "Protocol" to "Both" and never changed it as that worked for me (I'm not really a network guy and don't know the difference between UPD and TCP)
There should also be an "Enable" option under the protocol setting... That was definately set to "Yes"?
Once added, the details should be listed in the Port Fowarding section. If it is not enabled, enable it and click the "Apply Changes" button.

My understanding is that it shouldn't make a whole lot of difference, but, me...?
I never set the static IP address in Windows. I just leave that alone, and instead prefer to use the "Address Reservation" settings in the DHCP section of the router setup. In my mind, it keeps the whole setup of the server in one place, ie, on the router. I tell the router to always assign that IP address to the PC, then use that address in the port forward settings. Again, all of this has 'just worked' for me.

I have never needed to disable the router's firewall either.

I didn't see it, so, think we should rewind quite a way back and ask...
How are you directing Gizmo to your server?
This could be MC's 'access key' method, or direct input of ip address?

What version of MC are you using?
In latest versions of MC, http://ex.ter.nal.IP:52199 should default to http://ex.ter.nal.IP:52199/Panel/ and prompt for login details if you enabled authentication in the MC server settings.
52199 is MC's default server port. Double check under MC > Options > Media Network > Advanced that the TCP port number didn't get changed.

Are you using a VPN service?
If you are, then you have virtually no chance of any of this working as the port forwarding would need to be set up at the VPN source and it's not something they generally offer.

I can run the router they've supplied me in 'modem mode' and then buy a new router as a last resort.
This is unlikely to make any difference. Port forwarding on the Super Hub 3 does work. Something amongst the settings of your Super Hub/Windows/MC/Gizmo is wrong.

-marko

Chronic

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2019, 07:28:47 am »

Ok, so I'm walking around the park today and after checking the thread thought to try Gizmo and it works! :)

It wasn't working last night and I didn't change any router or firewall settings. All I tried yesterday was logging into Gizmo as usual with the access code and also tried manually inputting IP address:52199. As well as running the packet sender, which apparently was confirming that the port is open.

Thanks for the help and suggestions,  hopefully things stay as they are. It's great to have my entire library on the go and was worth the effort.  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up