INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping audio CDs with multiple optical drives  (Read 513 times)

madbrain

• Galactic Citizen
Ripping audio CDs with multiple optical drives
« on: August 09, 2019, 07:35:43 pm »

I have a beefy PC with multiple SATA optical drives and SSD array, which is perfectly able to handle the task of reading / encoding / storing multiple CDs at once. Currently, when I insert the discs, I am prompted for the action and the name of the title for each disc. However, after that, only the first disc starts ripping.
When that disc is done ripping, the second disc doesn't start ripping. I am prompted to "Insert another CD or click close". I find that disingenuous since I did insert another CD - in another drive. Even when I press close, the disc in the other drive doesn't start ripping, even though I had chosen the "Rip" action upon insertion along with title selection.

There are multiple changes I would like to see :
1) ideally, the rip of a disc in the second/third/nth drive should start immediately after title selection, even if another rip on another disc/drive is already ongoing
2) short of 1) the rip should at least work sequentially without requiring another human intervention, ie. pressing close or pressing "rip" again

Here is a log of the rip after I inserted 3 discs in 3 separate drives. I had selected "Rip" as as the automatic option upon insertion.

Secure Rip Log created at 17:29:53  Friday, August 09, 2019 - Media Center 25.0.83

Bach: Partitas Nos 2, 3 & 4 - Scott Ross  >>> Drive G: 3.02BW-16D1HT         Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
   Track  1: Secure rip, no re-tries. [#2 in C Minor, Bwv 826 - 1. Sinfonia]
   Track  2: Secure rip, no re-tries. [#2 in C Minor, Bwv 826 - 2. Allemande]
   Track  3: Secure rip, no re-tries. [#2 in C Minor, Bwv 826 - 3. Cournate]
   Track  4: Secure rip canceled. [#2 in C Minor, Bwv 826 - 4. Sarabande]
      00:00:00  Rip canceled
Bach: Organ Chorale 1 - Scott Ross  >>> Drive H: 3.02BW-16D1HT         Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
   Track  1: Secure rip canceled. [Chorale Partita "Sei Gegrußet, Jesu Gutig", Bwv 768 - 1. Choral]
      00:00:00  Rip canceled

I selected the disc name for all 3 discs in all 3 drives. Only one disc ripped. Afterwards, the other 2 rips were aborted, and had to manually restarted.

Essentially, with the current behavior, there seems to be no way to parallelize anything. Even sequential ripping isn't working. Are there that can be changed to fix this ? Or does this need a code change ?

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Ripping audio CDs with multiple optical drives
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 03:01:09 am »

Try dBpoweramp. I use this with multiple drives (4) in a PC and it rips in parallel no problem. Writing to SSD (as you do) really helps performance. It's not free, but it's not expensive. It's multi-threaded, supports many many formants,  and has neat tagging and filename format options. (Not sure how good the Classical tagging is though, but that seems to be a universal problem).

Spike
Pages: [1]   Go Up