INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSD 256 White Noise  (Read 1891 times)

pizzipao

• Recent member
DSD 256 White Noise
« on: August 13, 2019, 10:42:55 pm »

Hi there,
I'm facing some issue playing DSD256, only, in DoP. I'M using MC25 and till a few days ago everything was perfect. I'm using WASAPI drivers to up-sample to DSD - DoP and Chord Mojo as DAC. Everything is fine if I play DSD 128, DSD 64 and PCM.

I installed ASIO drivers as well but but situation is even worst, no DSD at all will work only PCM play properly.

With WASAPI, if I play DSD 256, song start to play but as soon as reach the 3/4 of the song's length a loud white noise start for few seconds and than silence. All the settings are properly adjusted.

I have great knowledge of MC player. I'm using it since version 23 for both Windows and Linux platforms and never had a such issue. Any idea, please. I have attached a zip file with a record to better understand what I'm talking about. Thank you

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: DSD 256 White Noise
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 07:29:57 am »

I think you've found the limit of the connection or the DAC.

Everything is fine if I play DSD 128, DSD 64 and PCM.
Then that's probably your best option.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 09:25:43 am »

Can you play a DSD 128 file directly, that is without upsampling? There are free test files you can try.

http://www.2l.no/hires/

https://nativedsdpresents.nativedsd.com/albums/NDSD012-welcome-to-nativedsd-sampler

The issue may be with the PCM to DSD upsampling, not with playing DSD 256 itself.

The ASIO driver should work. If it is not working for any DSD sample rate, it is probably a setup issue. Do you have DoP set in the driver? And, I assume you have bitstreaming set.  I have the Chord ASIO driver working on my Hugo with no problems.

I would try to get DSD 128 files working and ASIO working as a start.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 10:20:19 am »

Also, do 705 KHz PCM tracks play correctly? DSD 256 DoP is sent at a sample rate of 705 Khz.

You can use SoX to upsample to 705 KHz. Or, use the Convert option to create a 705 Khz PCM file or a DSD 128 file, for that matter.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 10:56:22 am »

When the music stops playing does the sample rate light on the Mojo change color?  And is there any change in  Audio Path on MC?

Since this just started happening, are there any changes to your system, like OS update or other software changes?  You can try rolling back to an earlier version of MC to see if that makes a difference.

pizzipao

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 04:01:11 pm »

To dtc.
I think you are correct when you that is about DoP. I have been playing native DSD 256 and128 files with no issue at all
Regarding the setting of the ASIO drivers, I confirm to you that all settings are correct, DoP is set in the drivers and bitstreaming to.
I tried now with Audirvana for windows and react the same in DoP with the only difference that ASIO files working properly (same issue with 256)

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 04:24:11 pm »

By playing native DSD 128, I presume you mean playing DSD 128 files. If those play alright but PCM files upsampled to DSD 128 do not, then the conversion to DSD 128 is probably the problem. That can take a lot of CPU. If it worked in the past but does not now, you may well be on the edge of your systems capability and some change pushed you over the edge.  What is your CPU usage when converting PCM to DSD 128? Note that it does not have to be super high to cause glitches when converting to DSD.  The DoP packing is pretty low CPU usage. It is the conversion from PCM to DSD that may be the problem.  Do you have a more powerful PC that you can try?  Make sure nothing else is running?

Are your files on a NAS? They can be an access problem.

Are the files on an external drive? If so, is is possible going to sleep?

If the files are not on the system drive, I would put them there as a test.

Again, does the sample rate light on the Mojo change when the sound goes away? It should be white when DSD is playing.

What OS are you using?

pizzipao

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 04:41:05 pm »

Hi Jim. thanks for your message
I ordered a new DAC to see if the problem is there of if the problem is the computer. My laptop is an i7 with 16 GB of ram, 6 months life, I guess I shouldn't have any issue to up-sampling to DSD 256 since I do on different device (i5 with 8GB ram laptop and Ubuntu Linux). I reinstalled Windows from scratch but still no luck. Thank you 

pizzipao

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 05:00:51 pm »

Hi DTC
I have no issue playing DSD 128 (DSD file or DoP) my problem is only with DSD 256 DoP and now DSD 256 files as well, so, the problem is not only in DoP but with any DSD 256. The CPU run only about 20% usage. The sample white light it's always ON, even when the white noise appear. All my music files are located in the laptop SSD, no NAS. No other software are running  than MC, apart all the backgroung Windows staff.
The laptop is an i7 with 16GB of ram, Windows 10 OS. Do you think the DAC can be the issue? Or is more related to the pc hardware?  ? ?

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 05:36:02 pm »

Sorry, I should have said  DSD 256 not DSD 128.

I think we have a problem with definitions.

Native DSD goes over the usb at 2.8 MHz or multiples of that and requires an ASIO driver.

DoP is DSD packed into a PCM package.     DoP is the 0s and 1s of a DSD file paced in a PCM format. So, each 24 bit PCM sample contains 16 bits of DSD data and 8 bits that identify it as a DSD stream.  DoP goes over usb at 176 KHz or multiples of that. It can use WASAPI or ASIO.

A DoP stream can come either from a DSD file or from converting PCM to DSD.

I think what you are saying is that neither a DSD 256 file or a PCM file converted on the fly to DSD 256 plays correctly using WASAPI.  If that is the case, then the problem is probably not CPU related, since a DSD 256 file should not require much CPU.

A DSD 256 file played as DoP sends a PCM stream at 705 KHz.  That is why I asked if you can play 705 KHz PCM file.

Am I correct that you used to be able to play DSD 256 on your i7 laptop but now you cannot?

Can you run the JMark test on the i7 and the i5 systems?

Mojo is supposed to play DSD 256 and Chord is pretty good at delivering what the advertise. You might want to ask Chord about play DSD 256.

I presume you are using usb. The Mojo only support DSD 256 over usb, not over optical or coax.

pizzipao

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 11:33:00 pm »

Just doing copy paste of your questions with answer next to it.

I think what you are saying is that neither a DSD 256 file or a PCM file converted on the fly to DSD 256 plays correctly using WASAPI. Yes correct and isn't working using ASIO drivers as well.

A DSD 256 file played as DoP sends a PCM stream at 705 KHz.  That is why I asked if you can play 705 KHz PCM file. Tested with success, 705KHz working perfectly.

Am I correct that you used to be able to play DSD 256 on your i7 laptop but now you cannot? Confirm, you are correct

Can you run the JMark test on the i7 and the i5 systems? Sorry, I don't know what is as JMark test.

I presume you are using usb. The Mojo only support DSD 256 over usb, not over optical or coax. Confirm USB

I'm agree when you say that Chord is very good in delivering what advertise. Everything was working perfect till a week ago.
I seriously doubt that a different DAC it will give me different results.
I re-installed windows 10 but nothing change.
I don't want to be mean but it seems to me that everything started since I installed Audirvana plus on my laptop.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2019, 07:14:58 am »

Just doing copy paste of your questions with answer next to it.

Please use the quote tags to quote the message you're replying to.

[ quote ]Text you want to reply to [ /quote ]
Your reply.

Removing the spaces in the tags above, you will see this:

Text you want to reply to
Your reply.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2019, 09:11:07 am »

If you added new software and MC stopped working correctly, then it clearly points to the new software as the prime suspect. You should start there.  It is possible that a new version of MC caused the problem, but that is unlikely  Other things to consider are OS changes, anti-virus changes, driver updates.  But, Audirvana is your prime suspect.

JMark is a performance metric. To run use Help - Benchmark - Run Benchmark. It is a good way to determine the relative power of your system, both for math and database performance.
Pages: [1]   Go Up