INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the best way to tame Actor or Director library field in Theater view?  (Read 682 times)

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen

Hi,
The Library view Actor and Director in the Movies Theater view is basically the actors or directors names sorted in alphabetical order.
Especially the actors list grows very long when you have a lot of movies and are not suitable to scroll thru with a remote from the sofa.
(I do not have a remote with letters, so that is not an option)

Is there a way to group actors initial letter of their name in a good way so that there is an easy way to jump to the first letter in an actors name.
Something like what can be done with movie titles.

Or is there an entirely other and better way to manage the long list of actors or directors in Theater view?
Hardware: Intel Core i5-8600K 16GB RAM, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 8GB DUAL OC
Software: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 2004, JRiver MC 29, MadVr 0.92.17 (Beta 113), NVIDIA driver 457.09
Projector: JVC DLA-I X5500 (RS420, X570R) -
Screen: DNP Supernova 08-85
Processor: Anthem AVM 70
Power amp: XTZ A2-400 for Front & Center - XTZ A2-300 for Surround & Height channels
Speakers: Arendal 1723 S Monitor for Front & Center, Linn Unik for Front Height, Rear Height, Surround & Surround back. Elipson Planet M for Top Middle.
Sub: Arendal 1723 1S

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

If you have a numeric keypad on your remote, try it.  It works like a cell phone so you can type 5 and get J or 5-5 and get K, and so on.

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen

Sorry but no such remote.
It would have to be a "on screen" solution.
Software: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 2004, JRiver MC 29, MadVr 0.92.17 (Beta 113), NVIDIA driver 457.09
Power amp: XTZ A2-400 for Front & Center - XTZ A2-300 for Surround & Height channels
Speakers: Arendal 1723 S Monitor for Front & Center, Linn Unik for Front Height, Rear Height, Surround & Surround back. Elipson Planet M for Top Middle.

lepa

• MC Beta Team

Is there a way to group actors initial letter of their name in a good way so that there is an easy way to jump to the first letter in an actors name.
Something like what can be done with movie titles.
You can add grouping for your actor view just like it can be done with movie titles view

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen

I have tried basic grouping but that doesn't solve the problem, or at least I do not know how to proper group actors in regards in what movies they have stared in.

I figure I need to do a more complex expression to be able to group and sort by the actors first letter in their first name.
I have also tried to reuse the expressions made for movies below but to no success: "
Code: [Select]
IfElse(
IsEqual(ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ, Left(Clean([Name], 2), 1), 8), Left(Clean([Name], 2), 1),
1, 0-9
)
"

And it is here that I need some advice on how to correctly write a expression that group and sort by the actors first letter in their first name.
Or if there is another way that anyone else is using.

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi

I'm pretty sure you got that expression from me  :).  To attempt to make it work you'd need to change it to

Code: [Select]
IfElse(
IsEqual(ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ, Left(Clean([Actors], 2), 1), 8), Left(Clean([Actors], 2), 1),
1, 0-9
)

The problem is, this won't work.  I saw this thread yesterday and tried coming up with a solution using that expression as well.  The problem with it is that Actors is a list type field and you end up getting some really strange results.  It looks like it works as expected, but once you click into an individual actors name you'll get wonky results.  I'd suggest giving it a try and seeing what happens as it's hard to articulate the results.

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen

Yes, I got it from you (thanx) and it works just perfect for movie titles, not so much for actors  ;D
See attachment.

I will try to tweak it but I'm a merely a "script kid" trying to make sense of it all.

The standard Actors library field works as intended, there just have to be a level above that that groups the actors in regards of their first letter in their name.

Cheers for the reply!

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen

Yeah I saw that request.
Lets hope that Matt and his friends can come up with a solution.

Love your work with a more beautiful and more informative theater view.
Ill keep my fingers cross that that eventually will get implemented into JRiver at some point.

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi

I just figured this out for you.

Setup theater view like this

Set the first Actors to grouping size 1
Leave the second Actors to default settings.

I believe this will do what you want.  I feel stupid for not figuring this out yesterday  ;D

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen

G.R.E.A.T  ;D

Exactly, what I was thinking of.

Thank you and Cheers!

lepa

• MC Beta Team

I just figured this out for you.

Setup theater view like this

Set the first Actors to grouping size 1
Leave the second Actors to default settings.

I believe this will do what you want.  I feel stupid for not figuring this out yesterday  ;D
exactly what i was suggesting earlier that just do grouping like you would do for any fields like movies ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up