INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 25.0.92 and Gapless DLNA playback  (Read 13311 times)

tonysawford

• Recent member
Re: Media Center 25.0.92 and Gapless DLNA playback
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2019, 11:19:46 am »

I'm really not convinced that that's the problem - the drive definitely does not spin down that quickly.

Also, remember that I don't get this behaviour with 25.0.80, which uses a different strategy for calling SetNextAVTransportURI

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2019, 11:35:16 am »

The SetNextAVTransportURI was changed again recently, so maybe try the latest build?

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,121944.0.html
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2019, 04:53:36 pm »

Thanks Matt. Is there an ETA on the Linux build?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2019, 10:57:32 am »

Thanks Matt. Is there an ETA on the Linux build?
We'll probably have one out today. Working on some cloudplay stuff.

Still I think it really is that the drive is spinning down. It makes sense since the old version sent the track right after the current one started playing.

JJD

• Recent member
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2019, 08:09:52 pm »

I've been following this thread because I am having the same DLNA gapless problem that Tony has described. However my library resides on my laptop (Windows 10), along with JRiver. I use MC DLNA to send tracks from my laptop to my Yamaha AVR (RX-A3040), and gapless has worked great for the past 5 years until I upgraded to release 25.0.89. I mentioned my problems with that release in another thread https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,121743.msg842392.html#msg842392

I didn't want to interfere with Tony's thread, since it looked like the problem was being addressed. However I believe the "spinning drive" theory is incorrect, since everything resides on my laptop, so my drive doesn't "spin down". I believe the problem must be elsewhere.

I've commented on this today only because I will be out of town the next 2 weeks and I'd hate to see this problem dropped while I'm gone because a spinning drive is the suspected culprit for the person reporting the problem.

Like Tony, I've installed 25.0.80 on my laptop until this issue is resolved.
Jack

tonysawford

• Recent member
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2019, 02:09:52 am »

The SetNextAVTransportURI was changed again recently, so maybe try the latest build?

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,121944.0.html

Sorry, @Matt - I didn't get a notification of your reply, so I've only just seen it.

I am already using the latest build (25.0.95).

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2019, 11:27:16 am »

I've been following this thread because I am having the same DLNA gapless problem that Tony has described. However my library resides on my laptop (Windows 10), along with JRiver. I use MC DLNA to send tracks from my laptop to my Yamaha AVR (RX-A3040), and gapless has worked great for the past 5 years until I upgraded to release 25.0.89. I mentioned my problems with that release in another thread https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,121743.msg842392.html#msg842392

I didn't want to interfere with Tony's thread, since it looked like the problem was being addressed. However I believe the "spinning drive" theory is incorrect, since everything resides on my laptop, so my drive doesn't "spin down". I believe the problem must be elsewhere.

I've commented on this today only because I will be out of town the next 2 weeks and I'd hate to see this problem dropped while I'm gone because a spinning drive is the suspected culprit for the person reporting the problem.

Like Tony, I've installed 25.0.80 on my laptop until this issue is resolved.
You have tried 25.0.96 and still have the issue?
From the message you linked I see you disabled SetNext support. SetNext support is necessary for gapless playback.
If you are still having issues with version >=25.0.96 and SetNext enabled, please turn on logging (just before you start playback) and stop logging (just after an error) sending us the log. Thanks!

tonysawford

• Recent member
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2019, 12:50:45 pm »

I just installed 25.0.96, and I don't get any playback.

When I try to play a track to the CXNv2, its display *briefly* (< 0.5s) shows the artwork and track details, and then it immediately goes to pause or stop mode. Moreover, the MC UI became completely unresponsive, and I had to kill it using task manager.

I've attached a log file, but I fear that it may have been truncated because I had to kill the MC process.

I've now reverted to 25.0.95

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2019, 01:13:08 pm »

I just installed 25.0.96 ...
Strange.
It's not clear what's going on for you.
The Log only shows some USB storage devices being enumerated, nothing else.

tonysawford

• Recent member
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2019, 01:32:21 pm »

I suspect that there should be much more in the log, but it got lost when I had to terminate the process with extreme prejudice - it probably didn’t get closed properly, which meant that buffers didn’t get flushed to disk.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2019, 01:51:57 pm »

Unlikely.

If you have USB devices attached, try unplugging them.

tonysawford

• Recent member
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2019, 02:14:16 pm »

The drives with all the FLAC files on them are USB3 devices, so I can’t unplug them.

The MC host machine is an Intel NUC, so there’s nowhere to put internal drives other than the system boot SSD.

JJD

• Recent member
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2019, 08:27:27 pm »

You have tried 25.0.96 and still have the issue?
From the message you linked I see you disabled SetNext support. SetNext support is necessary for gapless playback.
If you are still having issues with version >=25.0.96 and SetNext enabled, please turn on logging (just before you start playback) and stop logging (just after an error) sending us the log. Thanks!
Yes I understand that SetNext support is necessary for gapless playback. In that other thread, someone suggested disabling it to see if it fixed the track skipping problem in that release.

Since then, I've installed releases 92 through 95 (with SetNext enabled, ie unchecked) and have had the same problems Tony reported. Each time I reinstalled release 80, so that I can use the gapless function.

Tonight I installed release 96 and found that no tracks play at all. Instead I get 2 popups stating:
"There was a problem controlling the selected DLNA device. Double-check your device, server, and network settings."
"Something went wrong with playback."

Hopefully the problem was captured in the attached log file.

One other thing I've noticed is that the releases that I've been having problems with have a new DLNA Controller Option - Disable Other Controller Detection, which wasn't in release 80 (the last release that I've used that didn't have any gapless problems). Could it be that this new option is somehow causing the gapless problem?

As I mentioned in my previous post, starting tomorrow I will be out of town for 2 weeks and won't be able to do any installs or testing of new releases until I return.
Jack

tonysawford

• Recent member
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2019, 11:31:21 am »

I've just installed 25.0.98, and the (lack of) playback problem that I reported in 25.0.96 seems to be fixed.

Moreover, it also seems (fingers crossed!) that - with the exception of short tracks - I'm now getting gapless playback, irrespective of the logging state. I'll monitor the situation and report back if I notice any other odd behaviour.

tonysawford

• Recent member
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2019, 01:35:25 pm »

Alas, it appears that I spoke too soon again...

I’m still getting gappy playback, albeit not as badly as with 25.0.95. It seems to be a bit random whether it happens or not; sometimes an album plays gaplessly, and other times not.

JJD

• Recent member
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2019, 04:29:31 pm »

@bob
I returned from my trip today and installed 25.0.98 on my laptop. I played 2 albums that I've previously had gapless problems with.

First I listened to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon album with logging turned off. The first 7 tracks played fine, but then there was a pause and "static" between tracks 7 (Any Colour You Like) and 8 (Brain Damage). After the static, the beginning of Brain Damage was skipped and it started playing normally after that. After track 8, playback was stopped and track 9 (Eclipse) was never played.

Next I turned on logging and played the Beatles Abbey Road. This time tracks 1-12 played fine, then there was a pause and static between tracks 12 (Polythene Pam) and 13 (She Came in Through the Bathroom Window). Again the beginning of track 13 was skipped and playback continued. This happened again with tracks 14 (Golden Slumbers) and 15 (Carry That Weight). Playback stopped after track 15, and track 16 (The End) never started.

I'm guessing that the "static" is the AVR skipping over the beginning of the song.

I've attached the log file from the Abbey Road session. I hope you can find some clue in this file.
Jack

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2019, 06:30:01 am »

Are all the tracks within each album the same bitrate and sample rate?  44.1/16, for example?

JJD

• Recent member
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2019, 09:13:39 am »

The flac files are all 44.1/16. If it helps, I've attached a screenshot of the file attributes from MC.
Jack

JJD

• Recent member
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2019, 09:48:11 am »

After my last post, I noticed that the Last Played timestamp was out of order, even though the songs were displayed (and played) in track order. I've never noticed this before today. Maybe this is another clue to help find the issue. I've added the track # to the attached screenshot and also highlighted the Last Played timestamps that are out of order.
Jack

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2019, 05:57:53 pm »

The first 7 tracks played fine, but then there was a pause and "static" between tracks 7 (Any Colour You Like) and 8 (Brain Damage). After the static, the beginning of Brain Damage was skipped and it started playing normally after that. After track 8, playback was stopped and track 9 (Eclipse) was never played.

This sounds a lot like an issue I have reported previously as well, a burst of static (I described it as White Noise) between tracks. Not all the time but sometimes, and sometimes gapless works sometimes not. It will also happen on non-gapless files.

Been in the last 3 months or so, and is specific to my Cambridge CXR120 that had previously worked without issue (and still does except for this problem).

Been meaning to get some logs, will try on the weekend.

Edit: Looks like the DLNA timing changes in .101 might have solved this. Early days but so far so good. Gapless certainly working much better too.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2019, 09:57:56 am »

We've been supporting gapless playback to DLNA renderers that can handle it via SetNextAVTransportURI since before foobar existed.
It's not widely supported on renderers but the ones that do it properly work well.

JJD

• Recent member
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2019, 10:25:32 am »

Just an update. Since I installed release 101 (and later 102) I haven't noticed any of the problems that I reported earlier in this thread. Thanks for fix!
Jack

40th.com

• Recent member
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2019, 02:41:19 pm »

We've been supporting gapless playback to DLNA renderers that can handle it via SetNextAVTransportURI since before foobar existed.

What date are you claiming gapless dlna was supported in j river?
Ultimate Hi-Fi
Jukebox 2112

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2019, 03:13:08 pm »

For an exact date.
February 2012

40th.com

• Recent member
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2019, 05:03:40 pm »

For an exact date.February 2012
That's interesting, but not useful.  Useful is a list of devices known to - correctly, everytime, all-the-time - support gapless play over dlna.  Do you have this?
Ultimate Hi-Fi
Jukebox 2112

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2019, 05:57:10 pm »

No.  You'd need to ask the manufacturer of the device.  Many of them test with JRiver and we'll provide licenses to manufacturers who need them for testing.

40th.com

• Recent member
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2019, 06:37:24 pm »

That's interesting, but not useful.  Useful is a list of devices known to - correctly, everytime, all-the-time - support gapless play over dlna.  Do you have this?

No.  ...  Many of them test with JRiver and we'll provide licenses to manufacturers who need them for testing.
No you don't have a list?  Do you have a list of manufacturers that test with jr?  That should be yes, especially given

It's not widely supported on renderers but the ones that do it properly work well.

this would be useful.

...You'd need to ask the manufacturer of the device.
Oh, come on!  This is nuts.  Just say what devices are known to work.  Why can't you do that?  Why won't you do that?  Here's hoping this won't get deleted before it gets into google.
Ultimate Hi-Fi
Jukebox 2112

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2019, 06:44:33 pm »

I'm sorry, but we don't keep such a list.

Who is your manufacturer?

Model?

gulp

• World Citizen
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2019, 03:32:11 am »

DSD files over a PSAudio Bridge and DS DAC also don't play gappless (3 seconds before the end of each track there's a gap), setnext etc. is selected.
It's a mess.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2019, 01:20:44 pm »

It's a mess.

Just for the record: the “mess”, if any, is certainly not the fault of MC..

In UPNP / DLNA the Control Point (e.g. MC) sends two messages to the renderer: namely

1) SetAVTransportURI tells the renderer the url (link) of the track to play first
2) SetNextAVTransportURI tells the renderer the url of the track to play next

If the renderer is not capable of playing two given urls sequentially, then that is solely the fault of the renderer.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up