INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New iPods work GREAT with MC9!  (Read 1441 times)

Kurt Young

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Tastes like crab, talks like people.
New iPods work GREAT with MC9!
« on: May 05, 2003, 09:07:47 am »

I got my new 15GB iPod Sunday.  It worked very well with MC9, the first time I used it!

I had a "head start" on getting it to work, because I had been using MC9 with my old 20GB model.  However, it remembered all of my settings and I was back up and running after one initial sync!

So, here's the step-by-step of what I did when I got home:

1.  I put the CD in and CANCELLED THE AUTORUN.  Please don't skip this step.

2.  I surfed to the following folder on the CD and ran Setup.EXE:

E:\Program Files\Apple\iPodUpdater  (E: is my CD-ROM).

This will install the updater and the iPod service, just like you would download from Apple if you could.

3.  I ran the updater to format the iPod to FAT 32.  You can't skip this step either.  The iPod3's are shipped from the factory formatted HFS+ and Windows can't read 'em.  If you followed step 2 above, the updater will be located in Start > All Programs > iPod.

4.  I launched MC9.  First thing (besides the splash screen) that I saw was the "Your iPod isn't formatted for MC." dialogue.  No worries.  I formatted it (which took like a second and a half) and was immediately presented with the Autosync dialogue.  I just hit OK and it started loading my new iPod up!

Everything works PERFECTLY -- the same as it did with my 20GB.  Hope y'all have the same good luck as I did with your new ones!

Now dig this.  Play a song on the new iPod.  Now that it's playing, hit the center button twice.  There's a screen that'll let you rate the current song from 0 to 5 stars.

I bet that this info is in the iTunesDB's database.  The ratings that I program on my iPod do not persist across reboots.  They don't persist across syncs because MC9 is probably erasing them.  They don't persist across mounts/dismounts either.  I'm hopeful, though...

Steve, please research this and enable cross-talk between these iPods and MC9!  That would be SO TOTALLY COOL!!  MC would be the only way to use this feature on Windows (no ratings in MMJB) until iTunes for Windows comes out later this year.  Woot!

PS:  The playcounts file isn't 0 kb anymore, either, ;D ;D
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

SteveG

Re: New iPods work GREAT with MC9!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2003, 10:25:22 am »

Kurt,

The bad news on both file counts and ratings is that it is not going to work at this time. The fact that these changes don't persist as you state shows what I just confirmed, which is that the data is not stored in a way that in can be retrieved.

The good news is that Apple is most likely planning to implement this because it is roughed in right now. Perhaps in the next firmware release we can get this going.

Steve

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2003, 12:10:18 pm »

Roger that.  Imma go cry now.

:'(

Hopefully everything'll be up and running and re-enabled when Apple releases iTunes for Windows later this year.
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

Malcy

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2003, 02:22:32 am »

So what can MC9 do for iPod users? If it can't sync & use play counts or ratings does it just allow transfer of music files and that's it?

What about smart playlists, do these sync across? On the new iPods, smart playlists are automatically updated based on changes made to play count or rating on the iPod itself.

You say that play counts and ratings don't work at the moment - the data isn't stored in a way that can be retireved. How does iTunes do it then?

MC9 looks like a great app and it would be great if it allowed Windows users to access all the neat features of the iPod. I personally feel let down by Apple. They provide you with a fantastic bit of hardware and then don't allow you to use it fully.

I would definitely buy your software if you could find a way round these issues.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2003, 05:10:43 am »

Please see the iPod support thread.  You may find answers there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up